Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 19:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

EMBA Profile Evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

EMBA Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2010, 12:26
Hi Alex,

I appreciate your time. I am interested in you thoughts regarding my profile and targeted schools.

Background:
35 yrs old
Asian

College:
Played D1 Lacrosse
Volunteered 2 hrs/week at an alzheimer's clinic for 2 years
Graduated with a 3.2 (Psych & Pre-Med)

Post-College
10 years at a Big 4 Consulting company
2 years at smaller boutique firm
Consistently participated in corporate improvement initiatives, volunteer activities, etc.

I'm a Sr. Manager with extensive project leadership experience. I've led projects in excess of $14M and have had, at one point, 20 people reporting to me.

I've take the GMAT a couple times now and unfortunately my highest score is 620.

I have my sites set on top EMBA programs such as Wharton, Stern, and Columbia.

Questions:
1. I've already scheduled an interview with Wharton but considering my low GMAT is it even worth it?
2. With my targeted schools in mind, do I stand a chance with my current score? I'm comfortable with delaying my application until my score improves.
3. If I were to take my GMATs again and score in the high 600's, would adcoms frown upon the number of times I've taken it?

I would appreciate your expert advice. Thanks in advance!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 526 [0], given: 0

Re: EMBA Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2010, 23:30
Your overall profile is competitive for the schools you mentioned *if* your GMAT is also in range. You really need a competitive score (high 600s at a minimum) or else you're really rolling the dice. I'm sure you were hoping to here "we at happy admissions consulting XYZ feel that with exceptional essays, you can overcome your GMAT" blah blah blah... but that's highly unlikely.

Do whatever it takes to boost that score. Taking it a number of times is the lesser of two evils - it is less worse to have taken it a few times and getting a competitive score, than it is to apply with your current score.

I know it sucks to have your candidacy hinge on a dumb exam, but that's just the process unfortunately. Sort of like having to get fondled or virtual strip searched in order to get on a plane...

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Re: EMBA Profile Evaluation   [#permalink] 22 Nov 2010, 23:30