Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 11:16 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 11:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2722 [30]
Given Kudos: 1477
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 640 Q40 V37
GMAT 2: 650 Q43 V36
GMAT 3: 600 Q47 V27
GPA: 3.3
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 600
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: General Management, Operations
Schools: IIMC (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.5
WE:Engineering (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 733 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Send PM
Re: Embedded in the back cover, biometric data, electronic fingerprints, p [#permalink]
Bookmarks
utkarshthapak wrote:
Could you please shed some light on how you are able to identify what modifies what?

In my opinion, the best way to understand what modifies what is to Understand what the author is trying to convey. Try to understand the meaning of the sentence.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [3]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: Embedded in the back cover, biometric data, electronic fingerprints, p [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Let us note that structurally "embedded in the back cover" cannot modify "containing blah" since following an adjectival past participle modifier such as "embedded …," you will need to place a noun immediately after the comma. Per se, The sentence structure is wrong in B. By comparison, "the embedded …," phrase in E modifies a computer chip unquestionably.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 151 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V36
GPA: 3.12
WE:Education (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Embedded in the back cover, biometric data, electronic fingerprints, pictures of the holder, and a wireless RFID transmitter contained in a computer chip have been inserted in every new U.S. passport since 2007.

This question checks the

Clarity, Usage of modifiers, and SVA

Meaning:

A computer chip is embedded in the back cover
The back cover contains biometric data, electronic fingerprints, pictures of the holder, and a wireless RFID transmitter
Every new passport has a computer chip since 2007

POE

A. Embedded in the back cover, biometric data, electronic fingerprints, pictures of the holder, and a wireless RFID transmitter contained in a computer chip have
Subject verb disagreement and Meaning ambiguity
B. A computer chip, embedded in the back cover, containing biometric data, electronic fingerprints, pictures of the holder, and a wireless RFID transmitter has
Here embedded and containing are used as modifiers but it is not connected with any conjuction, So it makes embedded an action verb which causes meaning ambiguity
C. A computer chip embedded in the back cover and containing picture of the holder, biometric data and electronic fingerprints, and a wireless RFID transmitter have
Subject-verb disagreement
D. Embedded in the back cover, a computer chip containing biometric data, electronic fingerprints, pictures of the holder, and a wireless RFID transmitter have
Subject-verb disagreement
E. Embedded in the back cover, a computer chip containing biometric data, electronic fingerprints, pictures of the holder, and a wireless RFID transmitter has Correct
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Embedded in the back cover, biometric data, electronic fingerprints, p [#permalink]
daagh wrote:
Let us note that structurally "embedded in the back cover" cannot modify "containing blah" since following an adjectival past participle modifier such as "embedded …," you will need to place a noun immediately after the comma. Per se, The sentence structure is wrong in B. By comparison, "the embedded …," phrase in E modifies a computer chip unquestionably.

I'm sorry if this question sounds stupid but In option B Can't we say that if containing biometric data is modifying embedded in back cover then we can ask ourself what is embedded in back cover and the answer is computer chip so in-directly its correctly modifying it. Is it like nouns can be modified only directly?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [0]
Given Kudos: 755
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Hi experts .
Please explain the difference between B and E
B also seems fine to me .
I am lost on this one .

Sent from my ONE E1003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 289 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Concentration: Technology, Nonprofit
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
WE:Analyst (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
daagh sir, can a VERB-ED modifier preceded by a comma not modify a noun?
In option B, can't "embedded in the back cover" modify "A computer chip"?

daagh wrote:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [4]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
sandman

True an 'ed' modifier preceded by a comma can modify the noun just in front. However, in the given choice, apart from 'embedded,' 'containing' also modifies the computer chip. When there are more than one modifier, it is essential to separate them with a conjunction such as 'and.'

B is therefore structurally faulty.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
shasadou wrote:
Embedded in the back cover, biometric data, electronic fingerprints, pictures of the holder, and a wireless RFID transmitter contained in a computer chip have been inserted in every new U.S. passport since 2007.

A. Embedded in the back cover, biometric data, electronic fingerprints, pictures of the holder, and a wireless RFID transmitter contained in a computer chip have
B. A computer chip, embedded in the back cover, containing biometric data, electronic fingerprints, pictures of the holder, and a wireless RFID transmitter has
C. A computer chip embedded in the back cover and containing picture of the holder, biometric data and electronic fingerprints, and a wireless RFID transmitter have
D. Embedded in the back cover, a computer chip containing biometric data, electronic fingerprints, pictures of the holder, and a wireless RFID transmitter have
E. Embedded in the back cover, a computer chip containing biometric data, electronic fingerprints, pictures of the holder, and a wireless RFID transmitter has

how are we eliminating C here?
A computer chip embedded in the back cover and containing picture of the holder, biometric data and electronic fingerprints, and a wireless RFID transmitter have
does not above sentence make sense? I mean is there any SVA error?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
rkdhardubey wrote:
shasadou wrote:

E. Embedded in the back cover, a computer chip containing biometric data, electronic fingerprints, pictures of the holder, and a wireless RFID transmitter has

how are we eliminating C here?
A computer chip embedded in the back cover and containing picture of the holder, biometric data and electronic fingerprints, and a wireless RFID transmitter have
does not above sentence make sense? I mean is there any SVA error?
Hi rkdhardubey,

Let's remove the fluff and check the core of the sentence in C

A computer chip have ( so an SV error exists).

Regards,
Sumit

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
arvind910619 wrote:
Hi experts .
Please explain the difference between B and E
B also seems fine to me .
I am lost on this one .

Sent from my ONE E1003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Hi Arvind,

Hope you are good.

Your high radar should immediately detect 2 back to back modifiers modifying the same noun ( without any conjuction in between). Same is the case with B

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Quote:

What is the statement trying to convey?

The Computer Chip is being Inserted in every new U.S. passport since 2007.
A lot of stuff mentioned is embedded in the back cover, but is contained in the computer chip.

A: SVA issue. Have?
B: 2 modifiers one after the other are mentioned without a conjunction separating them.
C: Note that this option has 2 modifiers, but is separated by a conjunction. But sad that there is no Subject Verb Agreement. A Computer Chip have?
D: Simple SVA issue. A computer Chip Have?
E: All modifiers are in place, SVA is also perfect. E is the correct answer.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1162 [2]
Given Kudos: 228
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.62
WE:Sales (Computer Software)
Send PM
Embedded in the back cover, biometric data, electronic fingerprints, p [#permalink]
Kudos
Roughly 90% of folks are choosing (B) or (E). Good job. Let's compare (B) and (E).

shasadou wrote:
B) A computer chip, embedded in the back cover, containing biometric data, electronic fingerprints, pictures of the holder, and a wireless RFID transmitter has been inserted in every new U.S. passport since 2007.

E) Embedded in the back cover, a computer chip containing biometric data, electronic fingerprints, pictures of the holder, and a wireless RFID transmitter has been inserted in every new U.S. passport since 2007.

(B) and (E) are very similar, but the beginning of the sentence switches up the order of modifiers a bit.

If you're a GMATNinja or VeritasPrepBrian disciple, like myself, you would probably ask yourself: "Self, from a meaning perspective, what changes when we start the sentence with 'Embedded in the back cover' vs 'A computer chip'?"

In (B), the list of "containing data, electronic fingerprints, ....etc" could be modifying "the back cover" rather than "a computer chip."

(E) clarifies what the list is modifying by saying the computer chip is containing biometric data, electronic fingerprints, etc.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Hi experts! I've selected E by eliminating other alternatives, but couldnt understand the last comma before "and".
Doesn't it transform into a new independent clause?

Embedded in the back cover, a computer chip containing biometric data, electronic fingerprints, pictures of the holder, and a wireless RFID transmitter has been inserted in every new U.S. passport since 2007

Like this, it took me time to understand if the RFID transmitter is also emedded in the black cover, which would change the verb to "have". This is clearly not true, it is the Computer Chip that contains wireless RFID transmitter.
Can someone explain me why this comma is on the sentence? Thank you!!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [1]
Given Kudos: 434
Send PM
Kudos
duschuch wrote:
Hi experts! I've selected E by eliminating other alternatives, but couldnt understand the last comma before "and".
Doesn't it transform into a new independent clause?

Embedded in the back cover, a computer chip containing biometric data, electronic fingerprints, pictures of the holder, and a wireless RFID transmitter has been inserted in every new U.S. passport since 2007

Like this, it took me time to understand if the RFID transmitter is also emedded in the black cover, which would change the verb to "have". This is clearly not true, it is the Computer Chip that contains wireless RFID transmitter.
Can someone explain me why this comma is on the sentence? Thank you!!

Embedded in the back cover, a computer chip containing A, B, C, and D has been inserted in every new U.S. passport.

We need the last comma because we're listing several things that the computer chip contains.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6919 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts