Emily Dickinsons letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson were : GMAT Sentence Correction (SC) - Page 6
Check GMAT Club App Tracker for the Latest School Decision Releases http://gmatclub.com/AppTrack

It is currently 09 Dec 2016, 13:36
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Emily Dickinsons letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson were

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

12 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Apr 2004
Posts: 133
Location: Corea
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 627 [12] , given: 0

Emily Dickinsons letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson were [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2004, 15:54
12
This post received
KUDOS
99
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Emily Dickinson’s letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and ending shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, outnumbering her letters to anyone else.

(A) Dickinson were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and ending shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, outnumbering

(B) Dickinson were written over a period that begins a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and ended shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, outnumber

(C) Dickinson, written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and that ends shortly before Emily’s death in 1886 and outnumbering

(D) Dickinson, which were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother, ending shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, and outnumbering

(E) Dickinson, which were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and ending shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, outnumber
Expert Post
MBA Section Director
User avatar
Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Posts: 3545
Location: India
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 1478

Kudos [?]: 11498 [0], given: 1858

Re: Emily Dickinsons letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson were [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2012, 23:09
The following examples will help.
1. I sent letters to my dad, which contained my travel descriptions (correct)
2. The computers by Apple, which were bought from amazon were not as per apple standards. (correct)
You are right when you say that which should modify the immediately preceding noun but NOT always. A small preposition phrase which modifies the noun often comes in between and this official question is a proof that the GMAT does not consider the "which touch" rule to be iron clad.
_________________

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 3033
Followers: 768

Kudos [?]: 6344 [0], given: 991

Re: Emily Dickinsons letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson were [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2012, 04:02
buffaloboy wrote:
Emily Dickinson’s letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and
ending shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, outnumbering
her letters to anyone else.
(A) Dickinson were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and ending shortly before Emily’s death
in 1886, outnumbering
(B) Dickinson were written over a period that begins a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and ended shortly before Emily’s death
in 1886, outnumber
(C) Dickinson, written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and that ends shortly before Emily’s death in
1886 and outnumbering
(D) Dickinson, which were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother, ending shortly before Emily’s
death in 1886, and outnumbering
(E) Dickinson, which were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and ending shortly before
Emily’s death in 1886, outnumber

Please explain the use of which if u got ur ans right....since we know that which modify the noun immediately preceding ..


this is one of the trickier question I have encouter during my prepration but at the same time one of the most dumb


Emily Dickinson’s letters to Susan Huntington.........................outnumber her letters to anyone else

that's it. The rest is only filler

Hope is clear
_________________

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 1995
Followers: 2055

Kudos [?]: 6993 [0], given: 262

Re: Emily Dickinsons letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson were [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2012, 13:26
Hi @buffaloboy,

Use of "which" is absolutely correct in the correct answer choice. To know the reason why, please read the article by clicking on the following link:
noun-modifiers-can-modify-slightly-far-away-noun-135868.html

If you have question regarding the article or this official question, then do post it here.
Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha
_________________












| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Jun 2012
Posts: 1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Emily Dickinsons letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson were [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2012, 09:06
buffaloboy wrote:
Emily Dickinson’s letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and
ending shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, outnumbering
her letters to anyone else.
(A) Dickinson were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and ending shortly before Emily’s death
in 1886, outnumbering
(B) Dickinson were written over a period that begins a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and ended shortly before Emily’s death
in 1886, outnumber
(C) Dickinson, written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and that ends shortly before Emily’s death in
1886 and outnumbering
(D) Dickinson, which were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother, ending shortly before Emily’s
death in 1886, and outnumbering
(E) Dickinson, which were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and ending shortly before
Emily’s death in 1886, outnumber

Please explain the use of which if u got ur ans right....since we know that which modify the noun immediately preceding ..



According to Manhattan GMAT, in general, a noun modifier should touch their nouns, however there are 4 exceptions to this case:
1. A "mission critical" modifier falls in between
2. A very short predicate falls between, shifting a very long modifier back
3. A short non-essential phrase intervenes and is set of by commas
4. The modifier is part of a series of parallel modifiers, one of which touches the noun

In this case, the modifier "to Susan Huntington" is critical for the meaning -> case 1
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 08 Jun 2010
Posts: 1357
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 105 [0], given: 784

Re: Emily Dickinsons letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson were [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2012, 23:14
I get the right answer but do not understand why A is wrong.

is A not logic?
Expert Post
MBA Section Director
User avatar
Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Posts: 3545
Location: India
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 1478

Kudos [?]: 11498 [0], given: 1858

Re: Emily Dickinsons letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson were [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2012, 06:02
thangvietnam wrote:
I get the right answer but do not understand why A is wrong.

is A not logic?


Emily Dickinson’s letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and
ending shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, outnumbering her letters to anyone else.

This is wrong.
, ING modifier modifies the entire preceding clause which cannot be the case here.

Cosider the following examples,

I bought the lottery tickets, hoping to win the lottery. CORRECT
here hoping.... modifies the preceding clause i.e it provides reason as to why I bought the lottery.

The teacher was mad at me, asking to come to the principal's office. WRONG
Here asking to me ..... cannot modify the clause "the teacher was mad at me", but rather the ING clause only provides additional information.

Does that help?
_________________

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 08 Jun 2010
Posts: 1357
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 105 [0], given: 784

Re: Emily Dickinsons letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson were [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2012, 18:58
A said

the letter were writen, outnumbering other letters

why this sentence is not logic? comma doing can modify the previous clause.
Expert Post
MBA Section Director
User avatar
Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Posts: 3545
Location: India
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 1478

Kudos [?]: 11498 [0], given: 1858

Re: Emily Dickinsons letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson were [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2012, 19:00
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: struggling with GMAT
Joined: 06 Dec 2012
Posts: 226
Location: Bangladesh
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT Date: 04-06-2013
GPA: 3.65
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 335 [0], given: 46

Re: Emily Dickinsons letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson were [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2013, 10:02
Emily Dickinson’s letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and ending shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, outnumbering her letters to anyone else.
(A) Dickinson were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and ending shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, outnumbering
(B) Dickinson were written over a period that begins a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and ended shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, outnumber
(C) Dickinson, written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and that ends shortly before Emily’s death in 1886 and outnumbering
(D) Dickinson, which were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother, ending shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, and outnumbering
(E) Dickinson, which were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and ending shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, outnumber

i picked a.why a is wrong
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Feb 2013
Posts: 23
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Emily Dickinsons letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson were [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2013, 10:24
I too picked A. Cant see a reason why A wrong and E is correct.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 1995
Followers: 2055

Kudos [?]: 6993 [1] , given: 262

Re: Emily Dickinsons letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson were [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2013, 12:07
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Choice A is incorrect because of modifier error.
"outnumbering her letters to anyone else" should modify the letters but its placement is such that it appears to modify the preceding clause.

Notice that comma + verb-ing modify the preceding clause. And this modification does not make sense here. This is because it was not because the letters were written in the specified period that these letters outnumbered the other set of letters. In fact these two actions - were written and outnumber are really two different characteristics of the letters.

Lets consider an example sentence:
The film was shot in a small town of Guthernberg, exceeding expectations of the producers.
This sentence is incorrect since the verb-ing modifier appears to modify preceding clause and in this sentence this modification does not make sense. The fact that the film was shot in a small town did not really lead to exceeding the expectations of the producers.

The correct sentence is:
The film, shot in a small town of Guthernberg, exceeded the expectations of the producers.

The sentence simply states a fact that this film exceeded the expectations. It does not provide any reasoning for the same.

The film received significant critical acclaim, exceeding the expectations of the producers.
This sentence is correct. In this sentence, the verb-ing modifier makes complete sense with the preceding clause. The expectations of the producers were exceeded by virtue of the film receiving significant critical acclaim.

Hope this helps :)
_________________












| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Dec 2011
Posts: 452
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 194 [0], given: 70

Re: Emily Dickinsons letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson were [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2013, 19:10
All duplicate threads on this topic have been merged.

Please check and follow the Guidelines for Posting in Verbal GMAT forum before posting anything.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2006
Posts: 70
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 4

Re: Emily Dickinsons letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson were [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2013, 06:27
Is outnumber parallel with written please explain the difference between D and E
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 09 May 2013
Posts: 57
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 12

Re: Emily Dickinsons letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson were [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2013, 03:09
1
This post received
KUDOS
egmat wrote:
Hi @buffaloboy,

Use of "which" is absolutely correct in the correct answer choice. To know the reason why, please read the article by clicking on the following link:
noun-modifiers-can-modify-slightly-far-away-noun-135868.html

If you have question regarding the article or this official question, then do post it here.
Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha


Hi Shraddha,

I have following reason to eliminate option 'A'.
please correct me if my line of reasoning is wrong.

In option 'A' "outnumbering" "-ing modifier" takes tense from the clause it is modifying.
In option "A' tense is past,which would not be correct.
because emily dickinson letter to susan still outnumber her letter to anyone else i.e. a facts,so simple present is correct,while the tense of a clause is past tense.

Thanks in advance.
BSchool Forum Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2011
Posts: 1440
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 297

Kudos [?]: 1238 [0], given: 816

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Emily Dickinsons letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson were [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2013, 09:48
WarriorGmat wrote:
egmat wrote:
Hi @buffaloboy,

Use of "which" is absolutely correct in the correct answer choice. To know the reason why, please read the article by clicking on the following link:
noun-modifiers-can-modify-slightly-far-away-noun-135868.html

If you have question regarding the article or this official question, then do post it here.
Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha


Hi Shraddha,

I have following reason to eliminate option 'A'.
please correct me if my line of reasoning is wrong.

In option 'A' "outnumbering" "-ing modifier" takes tense from the clause it is modifying.
In option "A' tense is past,which would not be correct.
because emily dickinson letter to susan still outnumber her letter to anyone else i.e. a facts,so simple present is correct,while the tense of a clause is past tense.

Thanks in advance.


Bingo!!
Outnumbering should not be used here ... precisely for the reason you have stated
_________________

ISB Class of 2017 | ISB Preparation Kit
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
ISB Class of 2016 | GMAT Retake Debrief
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
ISB Class of 2015 | GMAT Debrief
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 09 May 2013
Posts: 57
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 12

Re: Emily Dickinsons letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson were [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2013, 02:21
1
This post received
KUDOS
ankurgupta03 wrote:
WarriorGmat wrote:
egmat wrote:
Hi @buffaloboy,

Use of "which" is absolutely correct in the correct answer choice. To know the reason why, please read the article by clicking on the following link:
noun-modifiers-can-modify-slightly-far-away-noun-135868.html

If you have question regarding the article or this official question, then do post it here.
Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha


Hi Shraddha,

I have following reason to eliminate option 'A'.
please correct me if my line of reasoning is wrong.

In option 'A' "outnumbering" "-ing modifier" takes tense from the clause it is modifying.
In option "A' tense is past,which would not be correct.
because emily dickinson letter to susan still outnumber her letter to anyone else i.e. a facts,so simple present is correct,while the tense of a clause is past tense.

Thanks in advance.


Bingo!!
Outnumbering should not be used here ... precisely for the reason you have stated


"Kudos chahiye" :lol:
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
Status: Getting strong now, I'm so strong now!!!
Affiliations: National Institute of Technology, Durgapur
Joined: 04 Jun 2013
Posts: 638
Location: India
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 97

Kudos [?]: 521 [0], given: 80

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Emily Dickinsons letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson were [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2013, 12:45
is the participle is A, modifying 1886? that is my 1st question. Someone please answer who is sure of it
_________________

Regards,

S

Consider +1 KUDOS if you find this post useful

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 27 Mar 2010
Posts: 605
Location: Bangalore, India
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 212 [0], given: 9

Re: Emily Dickinsons letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson were [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2013, 21:20
WaterFlowsUp wrote:
is the participle is A, modifying 1886? that is my 1st question. Someone please answer who is sure of it


Definitely not "1886" (and I am sure about it:)). In this case, it is modifying the entire clause, but the meaning is not making sense. The fact that letters "over a period of time", is not in anyway related to the fact that those letters outnumbered Emily Dickinson’s letters to anyone else.
_________________

Thanks,
Ashish (GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle)
http://www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
Status: Getting strong now, I'm so strong now!!!
Affiliations: National Institute of Technology, Durgapur
Joined: 04 Jun 2013
Posts: 638
Location: India
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 97

Kudos [?]: 521 [0], given: 80

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Emily Dickinsons letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson were [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2013, 21:58
Ashish, thanks for reply.
1. Participle does modify the attached noun, isn't it? So in this case if we try to assume that it is modifying 1886 thus providing a time frame how would that be wrong??
2. participle can also modify subject/verb/clause , it has the flexibility. correct? then can we say it is modifying letters?
_________________

Regards,

S

Consider +1 KUDOS if you find this post useful

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
Status: Getting strong now, I'm so strong now!!!
Affiliations: National Institute of Technology, Durgapur
Joined: 04 Jun 2013
Posts: 638
Location: India
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 97

Kudos [?]: 521 [0], given: 80

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Emily Dickinsons letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson were [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2013, 22:02
Ashish, Outnumber is a verb. In that case it can only modifiy another verb. so does it modify "letters were written" ?
if yes, can we say verb modifies the letters aptly so that we can rule out options with 'outnumbering'?
_________________

Regards,

S

Consider +1 KUDOS if you find this post useful

Re: Emily Dickinsons letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson were   [#permalink] 23 Jul 2013, 22:02

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9    Next  [ 177 posts ] 

    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Emily Dickinson s letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson were mun23 0 02 Apr 2013, 12:07
Emily Dickinsons letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson were dtaneja 0 23 Mar 2012, 13:29
Emily Dickinson's letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson were vaivish1723 0 14 Jun 2009, 04:48
Emily Dickinsons letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson were stevegt 0 01 Aug 2007, 15:43
Emily Dickinsons letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson were johnycute 0 09 Jan 2007, 20:28
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Emily Dickinsons letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson were

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.