Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 06:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Emily Dickinsons letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson were

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 96 [4] , given: 0

Emily Dickinsons letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson were [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2004, 15:54
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Emily Dickinson’s letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and ending shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, outnumbering her letters to anyone else.

(A) Dickinson were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and ending shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, outnumbering
(B) Dickinson were written over a period that begins a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and ended shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, outnumber
(C) Dickinson, written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and that ends shortly before Emily’s death in 1886 and outnumbering
(D) Dickinson, which were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother, ending shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, and outnumbering
(E) Dickinson, which were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and ending shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, outnumber
Expert Post
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 690

Kudos [?]: 3032 [0], given: 890

Re: SC... [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2012, 23:09
Expert's post
The following examples will help.
1. I sent letters to my dad, which contained my travel descriptions (correct)
2. The computers by Apple, which were bought from amazon were not as per apple standards. (correct)
You are right when you say that which should modify the immediately preceding noun but NOT always. A small preposition phrase which modifies the noun often comes in between and this official question is a proof that the GMAT does not consider the "which touch" rule to be iron clad.

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Expert Post
Followers: 311

Kudos [?]: 2608 [0], given: 696

Re: SC... [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2012, 04:02
Expert's post
buffaloboy wrote:
Emily Dickinson’s letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and
ending shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, outnumbering
her letters to anyone else.
(A) Dickinson were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and ending shortly before Emily’s death
in 1886, outnumbering
(B) Dickinson were written over a period that begins a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and ended shortly before Emily’s death
in 1886, outnumber
(C) Dickinson, written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and that ends shortly before Emily’s death in
1886 and outnumbering
(D) Dickinson, which were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother, ending shortly before Emily’s
death in 1886, and outnumbering
(E) Dickinson, which were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and ending shortly before
Emily’s death in 1886, outnumber

Please explain the use of which if u got ur ans right....since we know that which modify the noun immediately preceding ..

this is one of the trickier question I have encouter during my prepration but at the same time one of the most dumb

Emily Dickinson’s letters to Susan Huntington.........................outnumber her letters to anyone else

that's it. The rest is only filler

Hope is clear

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1299

Kudos [?]: 3668 [0], given: 185

Re: SC... [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2012, 13:26
Expert's post
Hi @buffaloboy,

Use of "which" is absolutely correct in the correct answer choice. To know the reason why, please read the article by clicking on the following link:
noun-modifiers-can-modify-slightly-far-away-noun-135868.html

If you have question regarding the article or this official question, then do post it here.
Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

CAT Tests
Re: Emily Dickinson s letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson were [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2012, 09:06
buffaloboy wrote:
Emily Dickinson’s letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and
ending shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, outnumbering
her letters to anyone else.
(A) Dickinson were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and ending shortly before Emily’s death
in 1886, outnumbering
(B) Dickinson were written over a period that begins a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and ended shortly before Emily’s death
in 1886, outnumber
(C) Dickinson, written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and that ends shortly before Emily’s death in
1886 and outnumbering
(D) Dickinson, which were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother, ending shortly before Emily’s
death in 1886, and outnumbering
(E) Dickinson, which were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and ending shortly before
Emily’s death in 1886, outnumber

Please explain the use of which if u got ur ans right....since we know that which modify the noun immediately preceding ..

According to Manhattan GMAT, in general, a noun modifier should touch their nouns, however there are 4 exceptions to this case:
1. A "mission critical" modifier falls in between
2. A very short predicate falls between, shifting a very long modifier back
3. A short non-essential phrase intervenes and is set of by commas
4. The modifier is part of a series of parallel modifiers, one of which touches the noun

In this case, the modifier "to Susan Huntington" is critical for the meaning -> case 1
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 39

Re: Emily Dickinson s letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson were [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2012, 23:14
I get the right answer but do not understand why A is wrong.

is A not logic?
Expert Post
MBA Section Director

Re: Emily Dickinson s letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson were [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2012, 06:02
Expert's post
thangvietnam wrote:
I get the right answer but do not understand why A is wrong.

is A not logic?

ending shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, outnumbering her letters to anyone else.

This is wrong.
, ING modifier modifies the entire preceding clause which cannot be the case here.

Cosider the following examples,

I bought the lottery tickets, hoping to win the lottery. CORRECT
here hoping.... modifies the preceding clause i.e it provides reason as to why I bought the lottery.

The teacher was mad at me, asking to come to the principal's office. WRONG
Here asking to me ..... cannot modify the clause "the teacher was mad at me", but rather the ING clause only provides additional information.

Does that help?

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 39

Re: Emily Dickinson s letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson were [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2012, 18:58
A said

the letter were writen, outnumbering other letters

why this sentence is not logic? comma doing can modify the previous clause.
Expert Post
MBA Section Director

Re: Emily Dickinson s letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson were [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2012, 19:00
Expert's post
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT Date: 04-06-2013
GPA: 3.65
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 46

Emily Dickinson s letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson were [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2013, 10:02
Emily Dickinson’s letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and ending shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, outnumbering her letters to anyone else.
(A) Dickinson were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and ending shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, outnumbering
(B) Dickinson were written over a period that begins a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and ended shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, outnumber
(C) Dickinson, written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and that ends shortly before Emily’s death in 1886 and outnumbering
(D) Dickinson, which were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother, ending shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, and outnumbering
(E) Dickinson, which were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and ending shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, outnumber

i picked a.why a is wrong
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Emily Dickinson’s letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson were [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2013, 10:24
I too picked A. Cant see a reason why A wrong and E is correct.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1299

Kudos [?]: 3668 [1] , given: 185

Re: Emily Dickinson’s letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson were [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2013, 12:07
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Choice A is incorrect because of modifier error.
"outnumbering her letters to anyone else" should modify the letters but its placement is such that it appears to modify the preceding clause.

Notice that comma + verb-ing modify the preceding clause. And this modification does not make sense here. This is because it was not because the letters were written in the specified period that these letters outnumbered the other set of letters. In fact these two actions - were written and outnumber are really two different characteristics of the letters.

Lets consider an example sentence:
The film was shot in a small town of Guthernberg, exceeding expectations of the producers.
This sentence is incorrect since the verb-ing modifier appears to modify preceding clause and in this sentence this modification does not make sense. The fact that the film was shot in a small town did not really lead to exceeding the expectations of the producers.

The correct sentence is:
The film, shot in a small town of Guthernberg, exceeded the expectations of the producers.

The sentence simply states a fact that this film exceeded the expectations. It does not provide any reasoning for the same.

The film received significant critical acclaim, exceeding the expectations of the producers.
This sentence is correct. In this sentence, the verb-ing modifier makes complete sense with the preceding clause. The expectations of the producers were exceeded by virtue of the film receiving significant critical acclaim.

Hope this helps :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 146 [0], given: 70

Re: Emily Dickinsons letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson were [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2013, 19:10
All duplicate threads on this topic have been merged.

Please check and follow the Guidelines for Posting in Verbal GMAT forum before posting anything.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 4

Re: Emily Dickinsons letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson were [#permalink] New post 07 May 2013, 06:27
Is outnumber parallel with written please explain the difference between D and E
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 12

Re: SC... [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2013, 03:09
This post received
KUDOS
egmat wrote:
Hi @buffaloboy,

Use of "which" is absolutely correct in the correct answer choice. To know the reason why, please read the article by clicking on the following link:

If you have question regarding the article or this official question, then do post it here.
Thanks.
Shraddha

Hi Shraddha,

I have following reason to eliminate option 'A'.
please correct me if my line of reasoning is wrong.

In option 'A' "outnumbering" "-ing modifier" takes tense from the clause it is modifying.
In option "A' tense is past,which would not be correct.
because emily dickinson letter to susan still outnumber her letter to anyone else i.e. a facts,so simple present is correct,while the tense of a clause is past tense.

Thanks in advance.
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 110

Kudos [?]: 483 [0], given: 384

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: SC... [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2013, 09:48
WarriorGmat wrote:
egmat wrote:
Hi @buffaloboy,

Thanks.
Shraddha

Hi Shraddha,

In option 'A' "outnumbering" "-ing modifier" takes tense from the clause it is modifying.
because emily dickinson letter to susan still outnumber her letter to anyone else i.e. a facts,so simple present is correct,while the tense of a clause is past tense.

Thanks in advance.

Bingo!!
Outnumbering should not be used here ... precisely for the reason you have stated

ISB Class of 2016 | Chat Session with ISB ADCOM | How to get started with Essays | GMAT Retake Debrief - 760 | ISB Preparation Kit | My ISB Interview-Aspired Class of 2016
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
ISB Class of 2015 | My GMAT Debrief | My ISB Interview-Aspired Class of 2014 | General interview tips

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 12

Re: SC... [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2013, 02:21
This post received
KUDOS
ankurgupta03 wrote:
WarriorGmat wrote:
egmat wrote:
Hi @buffaloboy,

Thanks.
Shraddha

Hi Shraddha,

Thanks in advance.

Bingo!!
Outnumbering should not be used here ... precisely for the reason you have stated

"Kudos chahiye" :lol:
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Statistics, International Business
Schools: Fuqua, ISB '15
GMAT Date: 12-02-2013
GPA: 3.32
Followers: 46

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 39

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Emily Dickinsons letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson were [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2013, 12:45
Expert's post
is the participle is A, modifying 1886? that is my 1st question. Someone please answer who is sure of it

Regards,

S

Consider +1 KUDOS if you find this post useful

Manager
Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 2

Re: Emily Dickinsons letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson were [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2013, 21:20
WaterFlowsUp wrote:
is the participle is A, modifying 1886? that is my 1st question. Someone please answer who is sure of it

Definitely not "1886" (and I am sure about it:)). In this case, it is modifying the entire clause, but the meaning is not making sense. The fact that letters "over a period of time", is not in anyway related to the fact that those letters outnumbered Emily Dickinson’s letters to anyone else.

Thanks,
Ashish
GMAT - 99th Pecentile, MBA-ISB, Faculty @ http://www.EducationAisle.com

Our book Sentence Correction Nirvana available at

Amazon: Sentence Correction Nirvana
Flipkart: Sentence Correction Nirvana

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: Emily Dickinsons letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson were [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2013, 21:58
Expert's post
Ashish, thanks for reply.
1. Participle does modify the attached noun, isn't it? So in this case if we try to assume that it is modifying 1886 thus providing a time frame how would that be wrong??
2. participle can also modify subject/verb/clause , it has the flexibility. correct? then can we say it is modifying letters?

Regards,

S

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: Emily Dickinsons letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson were [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2013, 22:02
Expert's post
Ashish, Outnumber is a verb. In that case it can only modifiy another verb. so does it modify "letters were written" ?
if yes, can we say verb modifies the letters aptly so that we can rule out options with 'outnumbering'?

Regards,

S

Re: Emily Dickinsons letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson were   [#permalink] 23 Jul 2013, 22:02