Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 15:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Emily Dickinsons letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson were

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 93 [4] , given: 0

Emily Dickinsons letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson were [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2004, 15:54
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Emily Dickinson’s letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and ending shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, outnumbering her letters to anyone else.

(A) Dickinson were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and ending shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, outnumbering
(B) Dickinson were written over a period that begins a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and ended shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, outnumber
(C) Dickinson, written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and that ends shortly before Emily’s death in 1886 and outnumbering
(D) Dickinson, which were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother, ending shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, and outnumbering
(E) Dickinson, which were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and ending shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, outnumber
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2007, 15:20
E it is.
'which' correctly refers to letters and the sentence is parallel.
In A,the last phrase is ambiguous in reference....Susan or the letters are outnumbering??
B and C are not parallel.
D changes the meaning...looks like the period is outnumbering the letters.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2007, 15:43
E.

Parallelism not maintained in B and C.

In D, "outnumbering" was a mistake.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Emily Dickinsons letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson were [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2007, 19:49
Emily Dickinson’s letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and ending shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, outnumbering her letters to anyone else.

A. Dickinson were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and ending shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, outnumbering
B. Dickinson were written over a period that begins a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and ended shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, outnumber
C. Dickinson, written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and that ends shortly before Emily’s death in 1886and outnumbering
D. Dickinson, which were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother, ending shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, and outnumbering
E. Dickinson, which were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and ending shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, outnumber
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 108 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Set 13, Q31 - Emily's letters [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2007, 20:30
gluon wrote:

A. Dickinson were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and ending shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, outnumbering
B. Dickinson were written over a period that begins a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and ended shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, outnumber
C. Dickinson, written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and that ends shortly before Emily’s death in 1886and outnumbering
D. Dickinson, which were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother, ending shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, and outnumbering
E. Dickinson, which were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and ending shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, outnumber

A for me.
The use of "outnumbering" is correct here, eliminate B
C and D and E have misplaced modifier.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 197 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Set 13, Q31 - Emily's letters [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2007, 22:28
gluon wrote:

DE have problems with "which". improper referrent.

BC: not || begining and ends/ ended.

A stands. || and clear referents.
Director
Director
Schools: University of Chicago, Wharton School

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 7

Re: SC: Set 13, Q31 - Emily's letters [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2007, 22:49
gluon wrote:

A for proper use of the modifying phrase - outnumbering ........................
Manager
Manager
Status: Post MBA, working in the area of Development Finance

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

[#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2007, 23:17
'A' does show //ism with 'beginning' and 'ending' and it also uses a participle as modifier.

But,

I was wondering about the construction of E:

Emily Dickinson’s letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson........ outnumber her letters to anyone else.
Which letters are being talked about - those ".....which were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and ending shortly before Emily’s death in 1886....."

Any comments!
SVP
SVP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 2

[#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2007, 06:13
Yeah, I picked E as well ... I still dont see whats wrong with it.

"Which" must refer back to letters ... so I dont see any confusion there.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2007, 06:27
trivikram wrote:
E for me.

A looks passive.

Whats the OA?
In E, "which" looks incorrect. Shud immediately follow the modified noun.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2007, 06:30
younggun044 wrote:
trivikram wrote:
E for me.

A looks passive.

Whats the OA?
In E, "which" looks incorrect. Shud immediately follow the modified noun.

But if which placed is fine, E can be true, outnumber "her" if used as possessive pronoun and not object pronoun.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2007, 07:12
pmenon wrote:
Yeah, I picked E as well ... I still dont see whats wrong with it.
"Which" must refer back to letters ... so I dont see any confusion there.

This is the exact confusion why I posted this question. For the record I picked A.

Here is an example from the OG11 diagnostic test: "As an actress and, more importantly, as a teacher of acting, Stella Adler was one of the most influential artists in the American theater, who trained several generations of actors including Marlon Brando and Robert de Niro. "

OG11 explanation says this sentence is wrong. It says, "The original sentence contains a number of modifiers, but not all of them are correctly expressed. The clause who trained... describes Stella Adler, yet a relative clause such as this must be placed immediately after the noun or pronoun it modifies, and this clause follows theater rather than Adler."

Quote:

We all agree that the clause which were written... death in 1886 modifies letters NOT Susan Huntington Dickinson, right? According to the OG11 the relative clause which were written... death in 1886 MUST be placed IMMEDIATELY after letters. This is the reason why I think D and E are wrong. Do you guys agree?

BTW what is exactly wrong with A anyways? A and E are in the same voice whether it is passive or active the difference being A eliminates the erroneous placement of which.
2 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 102 [2] , given: 13

Re: SC: Set 13, Q31 - Emily's letters [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2007, 09:02
This post received
KUDOS
gluon wrote:

A. Emily Dickinson’s letters to Susan HuntingtonDickinson were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and ending shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, outnumbering

E. Emily Dickinson’s letters to Susan HuntingtonDickinson, which were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and ending shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, outnumber

Quote:
BTW what is exactly wrong with A anyways? A and E are in the same voice whether it is passive or active the difference being A eliminates the erroneous placement of which.

Very interesting discussion going on here and that too on a topic that I confess is very dear to me!

Let's deal with this beast in two parts -

The problem with A is the participle OUTNUMBERING. As written in A, it clearly modifies period which is definitely not right. It must refer to letters.

In E on the other hand, it's quite clear what outnumber is referring to - letters.

However, of course, E seems to have a problem with the placement of which. We all know this fact cold that GMAT doesn't like the placement of which to be fiddled with in any way - and it must without fail appear immediately after the noun it's supposed to displace.

Thus - The Community hall in the townsquare which we all like is already booked for another marriage.

We know that which must refer to the community hall - but here it's appearing immediately after townsquare causing a GENUINE confusion in the reader's mind as to which of the two do WE ALL LIKE? Community Hall or Townsquare?

Compare this with another scenario -

All my requests to George which were to make him aware of his mistakes went unheeded by him.

Here IMO - the object of the preposition TO, George can't be modified by which; hence by logical extension, which modifies requests.

I don't want to contradict what we have all learnt about the usage of which and the restriction that it should be as close as possible to the noun it's intended to modify; all I am saying is, if a prepositional phrase intervenes between the which and the proable subject - so long as which can unambigously refer to the earlier subject and NOT the object of the preposition (as in the case of George above and UNLIKE the case of the townsquare earlier) we are OK.

In our example in this question - the scenario is simlar - it talks about Letters to Dickinson which --- again, the prepositional TO DICKINSON does not affect the relationship between which and Letters. Also, Dickinson can't be qualified by which anyway. You need WHO in the relative clause for an animate object like dickinson.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 51 [1] , given: 0

Re: SC: Set 13, Q31 - Emily's letters [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2007, 09:14
This post received
KUDOS
dwivedys wrote:
gluon wrote:

A. Emily Dickinson’s letters to Susan HuntingtonDickinson were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and ending shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, outnumbering

E. Emily Dickinson’s letters to Susan HuntingtonDickinson, which were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and ending shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, outnumber

Quote:

Very interesting discussion going on here and that too on a topic that I confess is very dear to me!

The problem with A is the participle OUTNUMBERING. As written in A, it clearly modifies period which is definitely not right. It must refer to letters.

In E on the other hand, it's quite clear what outnumber is referring to - letters.

However, of course, E seems to have a problem with the placement of which. We all know this fact cold that GMAT doesn't like the placement of which to be fiddled with in any way - and it must without fail appear immediately after the noun it's supposed to displace.

Thus - The Community hall in the townsquare which we all like is already booked for another marriage.

We know that which must refer to the community hall - but here it's appearing immediately after townsquare causing a GENUINE confusion in the reader's mind as to which of the two do WE ALL LIKE? Community Hall or Townsquare?

All my requests to George which were to make him aware of his mistakes went unheeded by him.

Here IMO - the object of the preposition TO, George can't be modified by which; hence by logical extension, which modifies requests.

I don't want to contradict what we have all learnt about the usage of which and the restriction that it should be as close as possible to the noun it's intended to modify; all I am saying is, if a prepositional phrase intervenes between the which and the proable subject - so long as which can unambigously refer to the earlier subject and NOT the object of the preposition (as in the case of George above and UNLIKE the case of the townsquare earlier) we are OK.

In our example in this question - the scenario is simlar - it talks about Letters to Dickinson which --- again, the prepositional TO DICKINSON does not affect the relationship between which and Letters. Also, Dickinson can't be qualified by which anyway. You need WHO in the relative clause for an animate object like dickinson.

this one baffled me.. thanks for the explanation/analysis
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 13

Re: SC: Set 13, Q31 - Emily's letters [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2007, 09:30
Quote:
this one baffled me.. thanks for the explanation/analysis

Pronoun error ... this points to what? My analysis OR the question itself? :-) :-) :-D
VP
VP

Re: SC: Set 13, Q31 - Emily's letters [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2007, 09:42
I got this from an old thread explaining some of the concepts I had touched upon earlier. This explanation is from Hong Hu - one of the old timers - God bless him...a truly terrific personality whom I admire a lot personally.

From the OG itself:

From the bark of the paper birch tree the Menomini crafted a canoe about twenty feet long and two feet wide, with small ribs and rails of cedar, which could carry four persons or eight hundred pounds of baggage yet was so light that a person could easily portage it around impeding rapids.

"which" here obviously doesn't refer to cedar, rather, it refers to "canoe". The noun that the nonrestrictive clause modifies doesn't necessarily need to be immediately proceed the comma. The OG concept is that it cannot refer to a vague idea that is expressed in the entire sentence, and that it must point to a noun (again, not necessarily immediately before the comma). For example, you can't say:
"The earth is not flat, which had puzzled many people in the old days."

Just my two cents.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 108 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Set 13, Q31 - Emily's letters [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2007, 12:02
dwivedys wrote:
gluon wrote:

Quote:

Thanks for the explanation. I think I am trying to get a feel of it...
I have seen another question that the modifier looks misplaced like this one, but it wasn't the right choice. I wish I remember that problem, so I can post here and see....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2007, 12:05
Very, very good information Dwivedy's. I have always been perplexed by a relative clause not appearing immediately after the noun it modifies. The observation about the prepositional phrase not affecting relative clauses seems right on money.

Here is another example from the OG which seems to solidify this concept:

Despite the increasing number of women graduating from law school and passing bar examinations, the proportion of judges and partners at major law firms who are women has not risen comparably.
VP
VP

Re: SC: Set 13, Q31 - Emily's letters [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2007, 07:24
trivikram wrote:
dwivedys wrote:
I got this from an old thread explaining some of the concepts I had touched upon earlier. This explanation is from Hong Hu - one of the old timers - God bless HER...a truly terrific personality whom I admire a lot personally.

From the OG itself:

From the bark of the paper birch tree the Menomini crafted a canoe about twenty feet long and two feet wide, with small ribs and rails of cedar, which could carry four persons or eight hundred pounds of baggage yet was so light that a person could easily portage it around impeding rapids.

"which" here obviously doesn't refer to cedar, rather, it refers to "canoe". The noun that the nonrestrictive clause modifies doesn't necessarily need to be immediately proceed the comma. The OG concept is that it cannot refer to a vague idea that is expressed in the entire sentence, and that it must point to a noun (again, not necessarily immediately before the comma). For example, you can't say:
"The earth is not flat, which had puzzled many people in the old days."

Just my two cents.

Thanks for a great explanation Dwivedys.

Oops! I didn't realize :-)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
Emily Dickinson's letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson were [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2009, 22:13
24. Emily Dickinson's letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan's marriage to Emily's brother and ending shortly before Emily's death in 1886, outnumbering her letters to anyone else.
A. Dickinson were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan's marriage to Emily's brother and ending shortly before Emily's death in 1886, outnumbering
B. Dickinson were written over a period that begins a few years before Susan's marriage to Emily's brother and ended shortly before Emily's death in 1886, outnumber
C. Dickinson, written over a period beginning a few years before Susan's marriage to Emily's brother and that ends shortly before Emily's death in 1886and outnumbering
D. Dickinson, which were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan's marriage to Emily's brother, ending shortly before Emily's death in 1886, and outnumbering
E. Dickinson, which were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan's marriage to Emily's brother and ending shortly before Emily's death in 1886, outnumber

Oa is
[Reveal] Spoiler:
e

Please explain
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Emily Dickinsons letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson were [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2009, 02:34

A) Dickinson were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and ending shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, outnumbering

B) Dickinson were written over a period that begins a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and ended shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, outnumber

C) Dickinson, written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and that ends shortly before Emily’s death in 1886and outnumbering

D) Dickinson, which were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother, ending shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, and outnumbering

E) Dickinson, which were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and ending shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, outnumber
Emily Dickinsons letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson were   [#permalink] 02 Jun 2009, 02:34