Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 20:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Emily Dickinsons letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson were

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 72 [4] , given: 0

Emily Dickinsons letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson were [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2004, 15:54
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

54% (02:18) correct 46% (01:13) wrong based on 1234 sessions
Emily Dickinson’s letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and ending shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, outnumbering her letters to anyone else.

(A) Dickinson were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and ending shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, outnumbering
(B) Dickinson were written over a period that begins a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and ended shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, outnumber
(C) Dickinson, written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and that ends shortly before Emily’s death in 1886 and outnumbering
(D) Dickinson, which were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother, ending shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, and outnumbering
(E) Dickinson, which were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and ending shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, outnumber
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2004, 05:32
Actually I was between A & E. Chose E as gerund in A was not so clear while outnumber in E makes sense when you erase all the relative clause.
Anyway what is the killer trick here ?
3 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [3] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2004, 10:36
This post received
KUDOS
twixt wrote:
Actually I was between A & E. Chose E as gerund in A was not so clear while outnumber in E makes sense when you erase all the relative clause.
Anyway what is the killer trick here ?

the kingpin is that, "outnumber" is used as verb in choice "E". the correct sentence is this : BLUE PART

Emily Dickinson’s letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson, which were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and ending shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, outnumber her letters to anyone else

no other choice construct grammatically correct sentence.

hope this will help
Dharmin

Perseverance, Hard Work and self confidence

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2004, 10:29
E for me.

it should be "beginning" and "ending". the last word should be "outnumber" and not "outnumbering".

Let's get it right!!!!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2004, 22:49
I would go with A. E would be correct, if the following red colored words were eliminated.
Dickinson, which were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and ending shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, outnumber

Mayur

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2005, 21:50
I go with A
In E "which" is pointing to the closest noun Susan Huntington Dickinson and that would be wrong!
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 143 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2005, 23:08
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
A. Dickinson were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and ending shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, outnumbering
- participle 'ountnumbering' is wrong. It suggests that the letters are still being written.

B. Dickinson were written over a period that begins a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and ended shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, outnumber
- 'begins' is the wrong tense here.

C. Dickinson, written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and that ends shortly before Emily’s death in 1886and outnumbering
- 'that ends shortly' is wrong

D. Dickinson, which were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother, ending shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, and outnumbering
- 'outnumbering is out'

E. Dickinson, which were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and ending shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, outnumber
- This is my chioce. 'which' to introduce the modifier (modify letters), and outnumber to state that the letters are no longer written but they outnumber any other letters she has wrote

E it is.
6 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 198 [6] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2005, 23:25
This post received
KUDOS
nocilis wrote:
I go with A
In E "which" is pointing to the closest noun Susan Huntington Dickinson and that would be wrong!

From the OG itself:

From the bark of the paper birch tree the Menomini crafted a canoe about twenty feet long and two feet wide, with small ribs and rails of cedar, which could carry four persons or eight hundred pounds of baggage yet was so light that a person could easily portage it around impeding rapids.

"which" here obviously doesn't refer to cedar, rather, it refers to "canoe". The noun that the nonrestrictive clause modifies doesn't necessarily need to be immediately proceed the comma. The OG concept is that it cannot refer to a vague idea that is expressed in the entire sentence, and that it must point to a noun (again, not necessarily immediately before the comma). For example, you can't say:
"The earth is not flat, which had puzzled many people in the old days."

Just my two cents.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 32 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2005, 11:10
This post received
KUDOS
Ah ... I know where I made the mistake. I was correct when saying that "which" should point to the closest subject and it does, but wrong in identifying the subject.

"Emily Dickinson’s letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson, which were ..."

"to Susan Huntington Dickinson" is a prepositional phrase and not the subject. Emily Dickinson's letters is the subject and 'which' is correctly pointing to it.

HongHu, in your sentence from OG,

From the bark of the paper birch tree the Menomini crafted a canoe about twenty feet long and two feet wide, with small ribs and rails of cedar, which could carry four persons or eight hundred pounds of baggage yet was so light that a person could easily portage it around impeding rapids

about twenty feet long and two feet wide is a prepostional phrase and with small ribs and rails of cedar is a parenthetical element/additional info. The subject is "canoe", so 'which' appropriately points to it.

Thanks Honghu for pointing me my error.
A thorough analysis helps me remember.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2005, 18:14
This post received
KUDOS
nocilis wrote:
I was correct when saying that "which" should point to the closest subject and it does

Point to Note...

Also, (A) is passive construction..
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Emily Dickinsons letters to Susan Hunting Dickinson were [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2006, 09:59
Emily Dickinson’s letters to Susan Hunting Dickinson were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and ending shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, outnumbering her letters to anyone else.

A)Dickinson were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and ending shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, outnumbering

B)Dickinson were written over a period that begins a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and ended shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, outnumber

C)Dickinson, written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and that ends shortly before Emily’s death in 1886 and outnumbering

D)Dickinson, which were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother, ending shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, and outnumbering

E)Dickinson, which were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and ending shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, outnumber
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2006, 13:48
Conflicted between A and E.

I am going to choose E.
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 27 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2006, 19:24
This post received
KUDOS
I will also go with E.
' letters to Susan Hunting ...........outnumber '
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2006, 21:44
E)Dickinson, which were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and ending shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, outnumber

choose E

--> "which" clealrly refers to the letters
--> parallel - beginning ..ending
--> the part without the nonrestrictive clause makes sense
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2006, 15:48
OA is

^ E ^
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Emily Dickinsons letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson were [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2007, 21:00
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Emily Dickinson’s letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and ending shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, outnumbering her letters to anyone else.

A. Dickinson were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and ending shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, outnumbering
B. Dickinson were written over a period that begins a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and ended shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, outnumber
C. Dickinson, written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and that ends shortly before Emily’s death in 1886and outnumbering
D. Dickinson, which were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother, ending shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, and outnumbering
E. Dickinson, which were written over a period beginning a few years before Susan’s marriage to Emily’s brother and ending shortly before Emily’s death in 1886, outnumber
Director
Director
Affiliations: FRM Charter holder
Schools: Stanford, Chicago Booth, Babson College
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2007, 04:57
if "which" in E refers to "letters to Susan", then I will go for E.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2007, 18:41
E too!

"which" should refer back to the nearest noun right? I think that would make "which" refer to "letters"
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC[Emily Dickinson] [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2007, 20:28
A: awkward, ungrammatical.
B: same as A.
C: run on sentence.
D: same as A, B.
E: best one.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Emily Dickinsons letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson were [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2007, 14:58

Emily Dickinsons letters to Susan Huntington Dickinson were   [#permalink] 01 Aug 2007, 14:58