Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:04 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Which school should I choose?

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 104 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Send PM
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [1]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Send PM
Re: Emory, Fuqua vs UCLA? Which schools? [#permalink]
Kudos
Sure.

I have loaded the Employment report of UCLA. You an see by numbers how UCLA penetration into consulting and Copr finance. It is not comparable to DuKe or Emory.

Duke is know as feeder to consulting field. You will reps from MBB in campus and consulting club is strong. The Career office shows great support.

In Emory, you will see huge support from career office, this is proven by numbers 96-98%. Also you will be in Atlanta which main hub for many corps. Emory is not known for corp finance but you can work closely with carer office. I heard a lot from students about their enthusiasm.

One issue to highlight up to you. Duke is large intake 500 students, while Emory enjoys small class. Which one do you like?

I have uploaded a document taken from Poets and Qunat article about Consultants from different schools.
Attachments

2014 PARKER CMC Employment Report 02.10.15 LR.pdf [1.23 MiB]
Downloaded 47 times

School Consulting companies.docx [18.56 KiB]
Downloaded 56 times

Intern
Intern
Send PM
Mo2men wrote:
Sure.

I have loaded the Employment report of UCLA. You an see by numbers how UCLA penetration into consulting and Copr finance. It is not comparable to DuKe or Emory.

Duke is know as feeder to consulting field. You will reps from MBB in campus and consulting club is strong. The Career office shows great support.

In Emory, you will see huge support from career office, this is proven by numbers 96-98%. Also you will be in Atlanta which main hub for many corps. Emory is not known for corp finance but you can work closely with carer office. I heard a lot from students about their enthusiasm.

One issue to highlight up to you. Duke is large intake 500 students, while Emory enjoys small class. Which one do you like?

I have uploaded a document taken from Poets and Qunat article about Consultants from different schools.

Thank you so much. My biggest concern about Fuqua is its location. Durham will be harder for networking, right? Please give me your ideas about this.
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Send PM
Kudos
Compared to Atlanta, Durham is smaller. But I was in Durham 2 months ago to do my interview in UNC. It is 30 min by car from airport. it is easy access to main destinations in the US. go to Durham airport website and look into non stop flights. A map will be opened to show major cities. look to the following:

https://www.rdu.com/airline-information/ ... tinations/

if you have problem you can go through Charlotte but I doubt you will have that problem.

I want to think deeply in differences between Emory and Duke in terms:

1- courses that serve your goal: Duke has far more elective tha Emory. I was discussing with Emory Ambassador that issue and agreed that to some extent. You need to see by judge by your self.

2- class size: Emory has small class size, while Duke has big class. Which one do you prefer?

I hope it helps
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Emory, Fuqua vs UCLA? Which schools? [#permalink]
Hi all,

I have declined the offer from Emory and just consider between UCLA and Duke. which school, in your opinion, is better for corporate finance job?

Originally posted by Scarlett166 on 09 Jan 2016, 10:26.
Last edited by Scarlett166 on 06 Feb 2016, 09:59, edited 1 time in total.
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [0]
Send PM
So what attacks you in both schools? What criteria made you limit to Duke and UCLA and decline Emory?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: UCLA Anderson School of Management - Class of 2016
WE:Corporate Finance (Real Estate)
Send PM
Emory, Fuqua vs UCLA? Which schools? [#permalink]
Scarlett166 wrote:
Hi all,

I have declined the offer from Emory and just consider between UCLA and Duke. which school, in your opinion, is better for corporate finance job?

UCLA guy here.

I got into tech finance over summer 2015 and was treated well and paid well, despite only 40 hrs a week. Silicon Valley was the most common location and has the highest wages in the country. A third of my class went into the tech industry over the summer.

Duke Fuqua is much better for mgmt consulting but we are splitting hairs about corporate finance. It really depends on where you want to work over the summer and after b-school. Duke does not travel too well into California whereas UCLA dominates the west coast.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
GPA: 3.55
WE:Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Can't speak to how it might effect carriers outside US, but you might want to ask mentor figures in Asia what, if anything, they know of those programs. I'm assuming you'd still have to qualify for H1B status regardless in the US, which is a pain no matter where you go to school. Usually the higher ranking programs have a slightly broader appeal across US major employers that will help with the process, but both of these programs certainly make their bread and butter off regional markets (UCLA - southern california, Fuqua ATL and DC). If I were you - I'd think about if I prefer to focus efforts in a US region, pick along that realm. If you want internship experience while in classes (1-2 days a week), LA might be easier to come by. If you just want overall program quality and there's no difference in perception in Asia, go to Durham.

Get some structure around what you want and assess from there, prioritizing the steps you'd need to get where you want to be. If you really can't decide - see if one will give you a scholarship (also a huge pain for a lot of international students) and if nothing sways you at all, just fall back on rankings.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Well, I would suggest you to go for Duke....Or still better u can check this website to help make up your mind: collegedice
Some clear cut comparison between different programs is given over here given the career direction you want to go
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts