Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 03:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Emory - Goizueta School of Business

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 18 Jun 2007
Posts: 408
Location: Atlanta, GA
Schools: Emory class of 2010
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

Emory - Goizueta School of Business [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2008, 18:47
For anyone interested in Emory, please post your questions and I will try to be as helpful as possible. I will be starting in the Fall, but can guide many of you through the application process along with any questions you may have about living in Atlanta. This is definitely an exciting time to be coming to Emory as they undergo a change in curriculum that will give the student more flexibility in choosing the direction they want to take their education. Please feel free to read my story in "Member Profiles" and ask any questions that you may have.
_________________

Member Profile: 111-t56279

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 26
Location: Chennai
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: Emory - Goizueta School of Business [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2008, 00:48
emoryhopeful wrote:
For anyone interested in Emory, please post your questions and I will try to be as helpful as possible. I will be starting in the Fall, but can guide many of you through the application process along with any questions you may have about living in Atlanta. This is definitely an exciting time to be coming to Emory as they undergo a change in curriculum that will give the student more flexibility in choosing the direction they want to take their education. Please feel free to read my story in "Member Profiles" and ask any questions that you may have.


Hi buddy,

I have some concerns regarding my profile whether it suits the like of Top 15 US B school. i want to move to pvt quity so i am keen to join a good finance school ...
i am planning to apply for 2011 graduating class. My profile:
Chartered accountant
Age 24
Work exp till date: 22 months
Current employer: Irevna research services (KPO of std & Poor's) in equity research
Past exp: Statutory audits with Deloitte

How does the profile look on paper. my concern is being employed with a KPO will adversely affect my profile???????

Will give my Gmat in Aug 08 as i was busy till june with my CFA level1 exam......Do you think i m too late to appear for Gmat. I believe ideally i should have appeared sometime in May- June.
Please suggest
_________________

If opportunity doesn't knock build a door

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 18 Jun 2007
Posts: 408
Location: Atlanta, GA
Schools: Emory class of 2010
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

Re: Emory - Goizueta School of Business [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2008, 10:44
deepakg wrote:
emoryhopeful wrote:
For anyone interested in Emory, please post your questions and I will try to be as helpful as possible. I will be starting in the Fall, but can guide many of you through the application process along with any questions you may have about living in Atlanta. This is definitely an exciting time to be coming to Emory as they undergo a change in curriculum that will give the student more flexibility in choosing the direction they want to take their education. Please feel free to read my story in "Member Profiles" and ask any questions that you may have.


Hi buddy,

I have some concerns regarding my profile whether it suits the like of Top 15 US B school. i want to move to pvt quity so i am keen to join a good finance school ...
i am planning to apply for 2011 graduating class. My profile:
Chartered accountant
Age 24
Work exp till date: 22 months
Current employer: Irevna research services (KPO of std & Poor's) in equity research
Past exp: Statutory audits with Deloitte

How does the profile look on paper. my concern is being employed with a KPO will adversely affect my profile???????

Will give my Gmat in Aug 08 as i was busy till june with my CFA level1 exam......Do you think i m too late to appear for Gmat. I believe ideally i should have appeared sometime in May- June.
Please suggest


On paper, everything looks great. The question now is, have you shown leadership at work and what types of extra-curriculars do you have. Developing all of these into a great story that tells the schools why you would be a successful MBA candidate will help. Of course, I don't know what your undergrad school/degree/gpa is, but you atleast have decent experience to build upon.

As far as the GMAT, taking it in August is not too late. I took mine in late August of last year, and still got my applications in for round 1. Best of luck.
_________________

Member Profile: 111-t56279

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 10 Feb 2006
Posts: 664
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 0

Re: Emory - Goizueta School of Business [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2008, 10:38
hi, here's my question,

I'm a 33 year old IT professional ( I would rather call myself, an analyst, when we started loosing jobs to overseas market, I switched to a more overseeing role) , graduated in 2000 with a bachelor in science from University Of Texas.

Been part of the information world for a while, have lot's of experience in development , analysis and design. Been working as a lead now for about a year at my present company in atlanta.

Would like to know with my unique experience of the world (I came to the US as an international student, studies full time and woked full time) ended up with a 3.0 gpa (nothing to brag about), what are my chances of getting into part time mba programme at Emory.

I took gmat yesteday with a 620. ( I know I can do better) but with my experience I think that should be sufficient for the part time programme. I would like to get some insight as to a realistic chance. and what other measures would assist in achieving this objective.

Rgds.
_________________

GMAT the final frontie!!!.

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 18 Jun 2007
Posts: 408
Location: Atlanta, GA
Schools: Emory class of 2010
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

Re: Emory - Goizueta School of Business [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2008, 17:33
alimad wrote:
hi, here's my question,

I'm a 33 year old IT professional ( I would rather call myself, an analyst, when we started loosing jobs to overseas market, I switched to a more overseeing role) , graduated in 2000 with a bachelor in science from University Of Texas.

Been part of the information world for a while, have lot's of experience in development , analysis and design. Been working as a lead now for about a year at my present company in atlanta.

Would like to know with my unique experience of the world (I came to the US as an international student, studies full time and woked full time) ended up with a 3.0 gpa (nothing to brag about), what are my chances of getting into part time mba programme at Emory.

I took gmat yesteday with a 620. ( I know I can do better) but with my experience I think that should be sufficient for the part time programme. I would like to get some insight as to a realistic chance. and what other measures would assist in achieving this objective.

Rgds.


Honestly, I can't really speak for the Part-time program, or its requirements. I don't know the average GPA, or GMAT scores. I do know that I got into the full time program with a 2.88 gpa, but my GMAT score was in the 700's. I would think your profile would fit quite well with what Emory likes, i.e. international experience and global leaders. If you tell your story right in your application you should be fine. But, if you feel like you should really score better on the GMAT, you may want to retake it.
_________________

Member Profile: 111-t56279

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 10 Feb 2006
Posts: 664
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 0

Re: Emory - Goizueta School of Business [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2008, 17:52
Question, does Emory offer any scholarships ?
_________________

GMAT the final frontie!!!.

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 18 Jun 2007
Posts: 408
Location: Atlanta, GA
Schools: Emory class of 2010
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

Re: Emory - Goizueta School of Business [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2008, 19:39
alimad wrote:
Question, does Emory offer any scholarships ?


Yes, Emory is actually quite generous with their scholarships. As you would expect, with them trying to lure people away from the ultra elites.
_________________

Member Profile: 111-t56279

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 18 Jun 2007
Posts: 408
Location: Atlanta, GA
Schools: Emory class of 2010
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

Re: Emory - Goizueta School of Business [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2008, 14:08
I just wanted to announce that Emory has employed a new curriculum starting this year. If you'd like to read more about the increased flexibility along with increased practice being emplemented, feel free to visit emory's website and explore.

http://www.goizueta.emory.edu/degree/fu ... culum.html

I am going through this core right now, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask.
_________________

Member Profile: 111-t56279

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 Aug 2008
Posts: 251
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Emory - Goizueta School of Business [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2008, 13:42
Hi emoryhopeful

I registered for Super Saturday event that would be held on Sep 27th.

Do I need to attend the Friday night social event also?

I stay in Atlanta and rarely drink.Thanks.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 63
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Emory - Goizueta School of Business [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2008, 15:59
Hey Fall09 - I, like Emoryhopeful, am a first year student at Goizueta in the full-time program. I was living in Atlanta at the time I was going through the application process and attended two of the Super Saturdays. Don't feel like it is necessary to attend the Friday night social event, but it would be a good way to meet some of the current students and get your questions answered. If you don't make it to the Friday night events, you will certainly have some time with current students during Saturday's session. Let us know if you have any other questions. Looking forward to meeting you.

fall09 wrote:
Hi emoryhopeful

I registered for Super Saturday event that would be held on Sep 27th.

Do I need to attend the Friday night social event also?

I stay in Atlanta and rarely drink.Thanks.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 18 Jun 2007
Posts: 408
Location: Atlanta, GA
Schools: Emory class of 2010
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

Re: Emory - Goizueta School of Business [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2008, 03:35
fall09 wrote:
Hi emoryhopeful

I registered for Super Saturday event that would be held on Sep 27th.

Do I need to attend the Friday night social event also?

I stay in Atlanta and rarely drink.Thanks.



Also, I wanted to add that social events don't require drinking. Of course, there will be many people who drink, but there are also many who don't. Just because people are meeting out, don't feel that you will be out of place because you don't drink. We have Kegs in the courtyard every thursday on campus, but not everyone is compelled to drink, so you wouldn't be out of place.

Again, we look forward to meeting you when you come to campus. Best of luck.
_________________

Member Profile: 111-t56279

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 Aug 2008
Posts: 251
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Emory - Goizueta School of Business [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2008, 18:42
Thanks guys.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 Aug 2008
Posts: 251
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Emory - Goizueta School of Business [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2008, 12:43
I attended Super Saturday event today and got a peek into Emory.

It appears to be a close knit school.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 18 Jun 2007
Posts: 408
Location: Atlanta, GA
Schools: Emory class of 2010
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

Re: Emory - Goizueta School of Business [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2008, 21:41
Fall, I'm glad you had the opportunity to visit us on our first Super Saturday. The close-knit community is no joke. We all take pride in that. I hope that I met you while you were here, and I just didn't know it. If you get a chance to visit again, just let me know and we can meet up. Let me know if you have any more questions about Emory, and if you have any suggestions about how we can improve super saturday, just message me.

Best of luck in your search.
_________________

Member Profile: 111-t56279

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 18 Jan 2008
Posts: 221
Schools: The School that shall not be named
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

Re: Emory - Goizueta School of Business [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2008, 07:30
How's the new curriculum? Now that you are a bit more into it?

Also, a simple question:
In what areas are Emory's strength?
Finance, Marketing, Operations, Supply Chain, etc?

Thanks in advance.
_________________

明日やろうばかやろう

24 wrote:
Your East Coast bias is worse than ESPN.

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 18 Jun 2007
Posts: 408
Location: Atlanta, GA
Schools: Emory class of 2010
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

Re: Emory - Goizueta School of Business [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2008, 13:39
There's definitely a love/hate relationship with the new curriculum. Obviously I want to put a positive spin on everything, but I'm going to be as honest as possible with both the good and the bad.

The Bad: It's new, so its a bit disorganized. The communication between professors on timing of assignments has been poor. We started school about 3 weeks before everyone else, and nothing on campus was ready for us yet, not even the professors. I have a feeling they were still doing last minute revisions on their classes up until the day of school. (understandable). And, its a ton to learn, in a short period of time.

The Good: We have a lot of the core nearly finished, and have the flexibility to take 4 elective courses next semester. The benefit is to take more classes we want to take, and less we have to take. Also, this give us even more time to network and meet second years in an actual class setting. The final block of the current semester is fairly light, allowing more time to focus on the internship search and networking opportunities. Now that we're further in, the Management Practice course (our dean's baby), is starting to really make sense and its becoming an effective course at bringing all of the core classes together in a single learning environment.

Emory's Strengths for functional areas:

Organization and Management(Leadership), Finance, Marketing, Consulting
There are definitely some great individual professors and classes in operations and supply chain but I wouldn't claim it as a core strength of the school.

Let me know if you have any more questions.


fatb wrote:
How's the new curriculum? Now that you are a bit more into it?

Also, a simple question:
In what areas are Emory's strength?
Finance, Marketing, Operations, Supply Chain, etc?

Thanks in advance.

_________________

Member Profile: 111-t56279

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 18 Jan 2008
Posts: 221
Schools: The School that shall not be named
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

Re: Emory - Goizueta School of Business [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2008, 09:42
Ya, I have a few more questions....
I can't contact student club leaders, unlike the web page of the other schools.

In any case, I'll PM you if that's OK?
thanks....
_________________

明日やろうばかやろう

24 wrote:
Your East Coast bias is worse than ESPN.

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Sep 2008
Posts: 14
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Emory - Goizueta School of Business [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2008, 04:41
Whew!! I just submitted my application last night for the One-Year MBA Program. Now the hardest part - the wait - starts.

I attended the 10/25 Super Saturday and interviewed on the same day. The event was terrific and I got to chat with many students and a professor. I was surprised to see how many current students and alumni helped out that day.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 18 Jun 2007
Posts: 408
Location: Atlanta, GA
Schools: Emory class of 2010
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

Re: Emory - Goizueta School of Business [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2008, 06:21
Best of Luck 334!

334MBA wrote:
Whew!! I just submitted my application last night for the One-Year MBA Program. Now the hardest part - the wait - starts.

I attended the 10/25 Super Saturday and interviewed on the same day. The event was terrific and I got to chat with many students and a professor. I was surprised to see how many current students and alumni helped out that day.

_________________

Member Profile: 111-t56279

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Sep 2008
Posts: 14
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Emory - Goizueta School of Business [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2008, 16:40
emoryhopeful wrote:
Best of Luck 334!

334MBA wrote:
Whew!! I just submitted my application last night for the One-Year MBA Program. Now the hardest part - the wait - starts.

I attended the 10/25 Super Saturday and interviewed on the same day. The event was terrific and I got to chat with many students and a professor. I was surprised to see how many current students and alumni helped out that day.


Thanks emoryhopeful. Do you know how long it takes for the email with Opus ID/Password to arrive after submitting the online app?

Thanks!
Re: Emory - Goizueta School of Business   [#permalink] 13 Nov 2008, 16:40
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic School Spotlight | Emory Goizueta - Program Profile CriticalSquare 0 23 Apr 2014, 07:47
2 Emory Goizueta vs Georgetown BlueRobin 2 12 Sep 2012, 14:12
Accepted into Emory Goizueta seanalare 3 11 May 2011, 12:39
Emory Business School Exte0011 0 21 Jul 2005, 18:54
Emory (Goizueta) Hjort 25 28 Dec 2004, 18:30
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Emory - Goizueta School of Business

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page    1   2   3    Next  [ 50 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.