Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 00:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Emory/USC w/$$$ vs Kellogg with none!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Emory with $$$ vs USC with $$$ vs Kellogg with nothing [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2011, 18:28
So here's my story:

Male, Age 26
Hospitality / Real Estate Industries
Interested in majoring in marketing, branding, and strategy
Interested in getting a general management rotational job upon graduation, preferably with a hotel or entertainment company, but intrigued by big brands as well

I've gotten into the following:

Emory w/ 60% scholarship
- great in real estate
- loved the atmosphere

USC w/ 25% scholarship
- the company I most desire to work for is the #1 recruiter there
- LA is great

Kellogg w/ nothing
- debt

Whatever non-scholarship money is needed, I am taking out in loans, as I have no savings to speak of.

My question is this--- Is Kellogg THAT much a better name that going there is worth the extra $80,000 or so in debt?

I'm excited about all these programs, but feel so lost ! :shock:

Thanks for all your thoughts in advance!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 3

Re: Emory/USC w/$$$ vs Kellogg with none! [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2011, 21:39
getmba2013 wrote:
So here's my story:

Male, Age 26
Hospitality / Real Estate Industries
Interested in majoring in marketing, branding, and strategy
Interested in getting a general management rotational job upon graduation, preferably with a hotel or entertainment company, but intrigued by big brands as well

I've gotten into the following:

Emory w/ 60% scholarship
- great in real estate
- loved the atmosphere

USC w/ 25% scholarship
- the company I most desire to work for is the #1 recruiter there
- LA is great

Kellogg w/ nothing
- debt

Whatever non-scholarship money is needed, I am taking out in loans, as I have no savings to speak of.

My question is this--- Is Kellogg THAT much a better name that going there is worth the extra $80,000 or so in debt?

I'm excited about all these programs, but feel so lost ! :shock:

Thanks for all your thoughts in advance!

I bolded what I felt was the only really important fact here. You have a company you're interested in, and you're accepted (with money) to a school where it recruits heavily. Go for USC! This is not a competition on who can get the best brand name, this is about going for a degree that will get you where you want. It sounds like USC can do it - and cheaper.

Now, my only concern would be is if you are not sure what you want. In the future, across a broader spectrum of companies and jobs, the Kellogg name is stronger. Much stronger. If I was you, being somewhat unsure of what I want, I would go for Kellogg. But I'm not you.

However, the hotel/hospitality/entertainment fields, from my experience, are not as familiar with the MBA rankings as other industries (I am from this field, too). So, that could be another reason to shy away from the debt of Kellogg. When I was applying to business schools, my bosses did not know Kellogg as an elite name. They knew the Ivies, but after that, it was all the same. I wonder if you've had a similar experience?

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 319 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Emory/USC w/$$$ vs Kellogg with none! [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2011, 04:07
Expert's post
I'd go with USC in this case, since your dream company is the #1 recruitor there. It's going to make thing a lot easier for you.

IMO, the MBA brand is only good for the first job post-MBA. After that, it's up to you to build your own brand.

Diversity

Current Student
Schools: Ross '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
GPA: 3.3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 37

Re: Emory with $$$ vs USC with $$$ vs Kellogg with nothing [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2011, 04:10
For your interests, Kellogg is definitely where you should go. You'll get general management/marketing roles out of USC and Emory but the quality of the companies will be much lower. At Kellogg, you'll have the opportunity to join a ton of Fortune 500 companies in more prestigious positions, which will also pay you a lot better. Your scholarships aren't that enormous, so you should definitely take the Kellogg offer and run.
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GRE 1: 336 Q169 V167
GPA: 3.22
WE: Information Technology (Manufacturing)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 249

GMAT Tests User
Re: Emory with $$$ vs USC with $$$ vs Kellogg with nothing [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2011, 09:42
Kellogg!

ME: PROFILE | CPA: BEC AUD FAR REG | CMA: ONE TWO

bitly bundles: mba rankings | mba programs

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 4

Premium Member
Re: Emory with $$$ vs USC with $$$ vs Kellogg with nothing [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2011, 10:05
Since you mentioned marketing, big brands, and general management I think that makes Kellogg an obvious choice.

The amount of student loans you'd take to go to Kellogg are a drop in the bucket in terms of your long-term career earnings coming out of a top 5 school vs. a top 30 or top 50 school.

Money shouldn't really be a consideration, but if you're 100% sure you want to work for the "dream company" then that could be enough to sway things to USC. But keep in mind there's no guarantee that company will still be your dream company 2 years from now.

http://www.militarytobusiness.com/

Re: Emory with $$$ vs USC with $$$ vs Kellogg with nothing   [#permalink] 05 Apr 2011, 10:05