Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 14:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Emory ($$$$) vs UNC ($$$$) vs Duke ($) vs Others

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Emory ($$$$) vs UNC ($$$$) vs Duke ($) vs Others [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 00:57
So, by way of background, I am looking to make a switch from consulting (niche management area) into Brand Management - either at a CPG or Food and Beverage company. Ideally, I will stay on the East Coast or in the Midwest - so this doesn't play a huge role. I will be moving with a significant other who would ideally like to be in a big city. Fortunately, I have had some great luck and am facing a severe first world problem. While I am 90% there with my decision (which I can share later), I would like to hear what others think...

The options are as follows:

Goizueta - Full ride plus a significant stipend/additional recognition and network.

Pros: Have family in Atlanta, strong ties through the school/fellowship to some great companies (Coke, Delta, etc.), school is on the upswing, great student/teacher ratio, really liked the other students when I visisted

Cons: small program may limit options/class offerings, possible regional implications (e.g., what happens if I want to move to Chicago)

UNC - Full ride plus a significant stipend/additional recognition and network.

Pros: Chapel Hill is a great town, national reach and strong reputation, strong marketing program, bigger program (although still small) with perhaps a much larger network

Cons: Went to undergrad at UNC, less options for the significant other in a small college town, no companies located right there

Duke - similar to UNC here as far as pros and cons go, obviously a bit stronger of a reputation and name recognition.

Other things still in play - Cornell (invited to interview), Kellogg (should hear later today)

Booth (I passed on interview)

Obviously money is a big issue here, would love to hear what others think...
Current Student
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 308 [0], given: 166

Premium Member
Re: Emory ($$$$) vs UNC ($$$$) vs Duke ($) vs Others [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 03:27
Well, there won't really be anything for your +1 to do in Ithaca, so maybe Cornell isn't an attractive option. Kellogg obviously looks like the best of both worlds: proximity to Chicago and the recognized leader in marketing.

Of the 3 you listed, I would see if Duke can up their offer using two full rides as leverage. The gap between Duke and Emory/UNC is significant, and in my limited research, Duke places well along the east coast, whereas the other two are primarily southeast. Yes Emory puts you near Atlanta companies, but I'm pretty sure they like Duke MBAs too. I understand that money is a factor, but just make sure you do some research to ensure you're not trading career opportunities for scholarship money.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Kelley (Indiana) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE: Operations (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 23

Re: Emory ($$$$) vs UNC ($$$$) vs Duke ($) vs Others [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 08:55
I think an admit from Fuqua is just too good to pass up. Goizueta would be my second choice because of the CPG presence in Atlanta but the national reach at Fuqua is far better than at Goizueta. (even if you just think about sheer size)
Intern
Intern

Re: Emory ($$$$) vs UNC ($$$$) vs Duke ($) vs Others [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 13:40
So also in at Kellogg now, to add more fuel to the fire. No money from them - makes it a hard, hard situation now!
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Kelley (Indiana) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE: Operations (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 23

Re: Emory ($$$$) vs UNC ($$$$) vs Duke ($) vs Others [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 13:45
decisions2013 wrote:
So also in at Kellogg now, to add more fuel to the fire. No money from them - makes it a hard, hard situation now!

I think that actually makes the decision easier! Kellogg is the premier marketing school, is right by Chicago and has a far bigger and more widespread alumni network than any of the other schools.
Director
Director
Concentration: Finance
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 204

Premium Member
Re: Emory ($$$$) vs UNC ($$$$) vs Duke ($) vs Others [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 13:55
That's a no brainer - you got to pick Kellogg in this situation. If you had a full ride at Duke, I would have recommended it, but with little money, you should be picking Kellogg. It's the best school in the world for CPG jobs.

Duke MBA Class of 2016

Intern
Intern

Re: Emory ($$$$) vs UNC ($$$$) vs Duke ($) vs Others [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 14:23
Unfortunately, money is playing a big part in this decision. Not so much of a no brainer then! Others?
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE: Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 192 [2] , given: 627

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Emory ($$$$) vs UNC ($$$$) vs Duke ($) vs Others [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 14:50
This post received
KUDOS
I agree with the consensus that Kellogg is the way to go, especially given your goals. You can only get your MBA once - don't be shortsighted!
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 70

Kudos [?]: 442 [1] , given: 450

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Emory ($$$$) vs UNC ($$$$) vs Duke ($) vs Others [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 10:59
This post received
KUDOS
Ask Duke to raise their offer by saying you got bumper deals from UNC/Emory. Leverage that offer from Duke and ask Kellogg to sweeten the deal. Kidding.

I think Kellogg should be the answer. You are getting the best of both worlds - a great education/brand name and your partner has higher chances of finding work as well.

My Debrief | MBA Timeline - New! Stay on top of deadlines, receive recommendations for each stage, get reminders.

Re: Emory ($$$$) vs UNC ($$$$) vs Duke ($) vs Others   [#permalink] 22 Mar 2013, 10:59