Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 23:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Employees of a company

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GMAT Date: 06-22-2012
GPA: 2.9
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 386 [0], given: 217

GMAT Tests User
Employees of a company [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2011, 13:23
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

50% (00:00) correct 50% (01:43) wrong based on 4 sessions
Each employee of Company Z is an employee of either Division X or Division Y, but not both. If each division has some part-time employees, is the ratio of the number of full-time employees to the number of part-time employees greater for Division X than for Company Z?

(1) The ratio of the number of full-time employees to the number of part-time employees is less for Division Y than for Company Z.
(2) More than half the full-time employees of Company Z are employees of Division X, and more than half of the part-time employees of Company Z are employees of Division Y.

I don't have an official answer. Can someone please help?

Best Regards,
E.

MGMAT 1 --> 530
MGMAT 2--> 640
MGMAT 3 ---> 610 :-(

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Employees of a company [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2011, 21:12
I think the answer should be D.
(1) gives that ratio for div y < ratio for z which means ratio for div x > z to compensate for it as no employee works in both division. SUFFICIENT.

(2) this statement tells us that for div y the ration of full to part is < ratio of full to part for z since more than half of part time are in y. Also it tells us that ratio of full to part for x is > ratio of full to part for z as more than half of full time are in div x. SUFFICIENT.

We will either find a way, or make one.

Please consider giving kudos if you find my post hepful :-)

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GPA: 3.87
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: Employees of a company [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2011, 15:33
The way I worked it was to figure that the only options are:

x > z > y
x < z < y
x = z = y

The only way that x = z = y is if half of the full-time worked in each department and visa versa. For example, if the ft:pt ratio for z was 12:12, then x could be 3:3 and y could be 3:3, but if either division's ratio increases, the other's decreases.

So, as stated in (1), the ratio is smaller in y than z, so the conclusion would be x > z > y. As stated in (2), more than half the full-time employees worked in division x which means the ratio for x is greater than division y, which means x > z > y.

Answer D. Hope this helps.
Re: Employees of a company   [#permalink] 17 Nov 2011, 15:33