Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Dec 2014, 21:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Employment costs rose 2.8 percent in the 12 months ...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 114 [0], given: 60

Employment costs rose 2.8 percent in the 12 months ... [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2009, 08:05
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

62% (01:34) correct 38% (00:43) wrong based on 49 sessions
Please help me with this SC...
Attachments

SC04.jpg
SC04.jpg [ 53.95 KiB | Viewed 4150 times ]

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [1] , given: 5

Re: Employment costs rose 2.8 percent in the 12 months ... [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2009, 12:36
This post received
KUDOS
Since the sentence is comparing the rising of employment costs, you need "they did" in the comparison. If it were just employment costs, then you could use "lower than" ..
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 19

Re: Employment costs rose 2.8 percent in the 12 months ... [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2009, 05:46
badgerboy wrote:
Since the sentence is comparing the rising of employment costs, you need "they did" in the comparison. If it were just employment costs, then you could use "lower than" ..

Why is less than considered. Less is used for uncountable words right? Lower is used for countable. Rising costs will be a number. And hence countable so shouldnt it be lower than they were? Please explain.. why each answer is wrong.
Retired Moderator
WE 1: 4yrs in IT Industry
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 340

CAT Tests
Re: Employment costs rose 2.8 percent in the 12 months ... [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2009, 07:03
I dont think Employments costs is countable here but still not sure

One Final Try.......

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 40 [1] , given: 7

Re: Employment costs rose 2.8 percent in the 12 months ... [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2009, 11:32
This post received
KUDOS
Here 'less" is modifying 'rose' and not employment costs.because costs have risen by 2.8 %.so costs can not be lower

this eliminates D and E.

B is wrong because of It

C is wrong because less than they were.here were is modifying employment costs

which is wrong.

So A is the right answer.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 11

Re: Employment costs rose 2.8 percent in the 12 months ... [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2010, 10:23
Hi,
As explained by hrish88, 'less' modifies rose, but how is the subject plural?
In option A, we are using 'less than they' which means 'rose' should be a plural subject.
If subject is singular, then we should use 'it' instead.
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 445 [0], given: 36

Re: Employment costs rose 2.8 percent in the 12 months ... [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2010, 00:29
Can you count years? I can count my birthday LOL

But in grammar "25 years" is uncountable. e.g Less than 35 years after the release of African honeybees outside Sao Paulo, Brazil, their descendants, had migrated as far north as southern Texas.

Similarly "1000 dollars" is uncountable. I have [less / fewer] than 1000 dollars ----> less

"10 hours" are uncountable

Money is uncountable e.g. How ......... money do you have? ----> much

Hope that answers this question!
RaviChandra wrote:
I dont think Employments costs is countable here but still not sure

Please press kudos if you like my post.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 21

Re: Employment costs rose 2.8 percent in the 12 months ... [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2012, 06:13
Although I don't think it is the relevant issue in this one, "employment costs" might be either countable or uncountable, depending on the context. You could count the various components (employment costs = hiring + training + salary + benefits + etc.). On the other hand, you could lump all of these costs into one amount, which would be uncountable.

Uncountable is probably the intended meaning here, as it says the costs "rose" not "increased in number."

Either "less" or "lower" could work with an uncountable quantity, so what do we really need to know about these words?
--"less" is a comparative that means "smaller in size, amount, degree, etc."
--"lower" is a comparative that is the opposite of higher.

I think the relevant amount is not the "employment costs" but the percent by which the costs rose. I think "less than" more clearly conveys the idea that employment costs rose 2.8% in the year ending in September, while employment costs rose <2.8% in the year ending in June.

If you wanted to use "lower than" correctly, you would need a noun in the second part of the comparison (e.g. "2.8% is lower than the percent for last quarter). Both (D) and (E) can be eliminated on this basis. (D) has no noun in the second part of the comparison. (E) has "they" = costs, which is the wrong noun, in the second part of the comparison.
Re: Employment costs rose 2.8 percent in the 12 months ...   [#permalink] 30 Apr 2012, 06:13