Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Oct 2014, 00:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Employment reports don't seem to be very accurate indicator

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: Q V0
GPA: 3.45
WE: Marketing (Consumer Electronics)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 5

Employment reports don't seem to be very accurate indicator [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2013, 01:17
Recently, I came upon this link on linkedin, which gives a really good breakdown of the type of industries, companies, countries that MBA students went into post-MBA (for a range of years).

It doesn't filter for EMBA or FT MBA but the results do seem pretty puzzling.

Take e.g Kellogg - % going to MBB from 2000-2020 : 138/1438 (of those in LinkedIn) = 9.5% vs. say Darden - % going into MBB = 45/334 = 13.5%

http://www.linkedin.com/college/alumni? ... pt.psc=12&
MBA Admissions Consulting
WE: Consulting (Education)
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 134 [0], given: 22

Re: Employment reports don't seem to be very accurate indicator [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2013, 13:19
Hey ss87 - cool find - love stuff like that.

We didn't spend too much time digging into it but there's a chance that the schools are not just MBA. Yes, the name of the Darden program says "Graduate School of Business" but UVA has undergrad business/finance majors too, and a bunch of other schools in that dropdown list (NYU do as well.

Here's a rant we did recently on schools bloating their "size of our network" numbers, which is quasi-related to this.

We had a client geek out on these numbers about three years ago a bunch of years ago and he sent us a chart showing the MBB percentages from full-time programs (this was pre-economic crisis so things may be different today) - his numbers were Kellogg at 10.4% of their class. Darden was 5.3%.

Let us know if you uncover anything more on it.

EssaySnark Essays Reviewed on GMAT Club FOR FREE!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 13

CAT Tests
Re: Employment reports don't seem to be very accurate indicator [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2013, 13:43
ss87 wrote:
Recently, I came upon this link on linkedin, which gives a really good breakdown of the type of industries, companies, countries that MBA students went into post-MBA (for a range of years).

It doesn't filter for EMBA or FT MBA but the results do seem pretty puzzling.

Take e.g Kellogg - % going to MBB from 2000-2020 : 138/1438 (of those in LinkedIn) = 9.5% vs. say Darden - % going into MBB = 45/334 = 13.5%

http://www.linkedin.com/college/alumni? ... pt.psc=12&

I'm not sure where you're going with this, but anyone who thought Darden was in the same league as Kellogg for management consulting or NYU for investment banking didn't do very much due diligence.

But Darden is still a good school.
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: Q V0
GPA: 3.45
WE: Marketing (Consumer Electronics)

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 5

Re: Employment reports don't seem to be very accurate indicator [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2013, 09:38
Hi Essay Snark - I guess pretty much all the profiles are FT MBAs for Darden but FT & PT MBAs for Kellogg so I am sure that would be skewing the results.

Lovelaw - I wasn't suggesting the percentages be equal for Darden and Kellogg. I was puzzled why it's lower at Kellogg which churns consultants by the truckload. Besides you need to do your own due diligence if you think Darden and NYU are not on the same "league" (or whatever that means) for IB. That's only because NYU is smack in the middle of NY. I am sure current Darden students on the forums have already mentioned how huge IB is at Darden.
As for Darden and Kellogg where I have seen a significant number of people choose Darden (with $$) over Kellogg as they felt both would provide them an equal shot of landing consulting (MBB)
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 9

Premium Member
Re: Employment reports don't seem to be very accurate indicator [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2013, 05:11
Or just about equal.
Equal enough to take the $$$ and hedge their bet.
Also not all MBB posting are made equal from what I understand.

Try to make my way to San Jose.

??? class of 2016

Re: Employment reports don't seem to be very accurate indicator   [#permalink] 09 Jul 2013, 05:11