Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 11 Jul 2014, 16:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

employment scene for an international student

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

employment scene for an international student [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2005, 00:00
This post received
KUDOS
anybody,
I am a student from india and i found out here that most of the schools i see myself applying fall either in the "near elite" or the "near elite Frontier" category. i have scheduled my GMAT in september and will soon start the application process. i am looking at Fall'06 intake and will have 2+ yrs of experience by then. My concern thought is about the placements and the job oppurtunities that these schools will offer... are the good enough? do i stand a chance as an international student?
There is a dedicated section in each of the schools website solely for this purpose but i frankly think it does not convey all the necessary details.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 427 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2005, 14:31
This post received
KUDOS
Beyond the websites, I would contact the schools that interest you most and see if you can get more specific information regarding the employment history of intl. students.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2005, 16:49
This post received
KUDOS
i suggest that you contact the students in the school, not only career services or admission. you'll get much more realistic picture
also, think twice if you're going to pay for your education yourself.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

Re: employment scene for an international student [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2007, 10:47
This post received
KUDOS
nischal wrote:
anybody,
My concern thought is about the placements and the job oppurtunities that these schools will offer... are the good enough? do i stand a chance as an international student?

I think the question should be whether the companies that recruit at these schools sponsor foreigners for the H1 Visa. You can have the best consulting/banking firms hiring on campus, but if they "don't have the resources to sponsor foreign candidates" (you will encounter this standard response alot), then it doesn't matter where you graduate from.

Best thing to do is research MBA programs that go out of their way to take care of their international students. For example, Katz b-school has an entire section on their website that educates companies on how to hire foreigners. Here's the cut and paste from their site, hope this helps:

http://www.business.pitt.edu/katz/career%2Dservices/katzport.html

Career Services

KATZPORT

What is the KATZPORT Program?
The Joseph M. Katz Graduate School of Business prides itself on cutting-edge innovation and creative excellence. Because of this commitment, we attract the finest students from all over the globe. In turn, these global students enrich the experience and perspective of both their peers and their professors. Here at the Katz School, we are acutely aware that today’s marketplace knows few geographical boundaries. We work hard to ensure that our graduates are placed where their skills are most needed, regardless of geography or their citizenship. This is why we have developed KATZPORT.

What is KATZPORT Communications?
KATZPORT Communications is a program by which Katz Career Services provides critical information to both employers and international students regarding the immigration process. We do this in two ways. First, we demystify the often complex immigration process with clear, straightforward information regarding how employers can, with minimal effort, employ foreign nationals in the United States.

Second, we provide our students with targeted instruction on immigration law and procedure as it relates to their unique situation in order to prepare them for the job market. Our students are taught what they have to achieve a swift and seamless placement.

What is a KATZPORT Evaluation?
A KATZPORT evaluation is designed for each Katz international MBA student. This evaluation includes a detailed analysis of the international student’s current legal status and his or her eligibility to secure employment authorization in the United States.

This evaluation will be conducted by an immigration attorney and will be in the form of an opinion letter. The evaluation can then be presented to prospective employers to reduce concerns about the company’s ability to employ Katz international MBA graduates.

What are KATZPORT’s Legal Services?
The KATZPORT partnership allows professionals in the University of Pittsburgh’s Office of International Services (OIS) and immigration attorneys to work hand-in-hand with employers to secure the appropriate visas and employment authorizations from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) that enable Katz international graduates to work in the United States.

In order to facilitate students’ applications for post-completion Optional Practical Training (OPT) or post-completion Academic Training (AT), OIS will:

* Provide a detailed explanation of the process and obligations entailed in the OPT or AT process,
* Prepare and execute the required immigration forms,
* Input the required data into the Student & Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS), and
* Complete the final package and submit it to the USCIS.
* The immigration attorneys engaged and retained by the Katz School, will provide prompt, professional service to Katz graduates seeking H-1B petitions. The attorneys will represent both the employer and employee in this process and, more specifically, will:
* Develop the appropriate strategy for the student’s unique situation,
Provide a detailed explanation of the process and obligations entailed in securing H-1B visa status,
* Secure the required Prevailing Wage Determination and prepare the Public Access File,
* Draft appropriate letters of support,
* Draft the required immigration forms,
* Consult with the employer and graduate throughout the process,
* Complete and file the final package with USCIS, and
* Monitor the processing of the petition through to completion.

The above legal services are designed to facilitate the employment of Katz international MBA graduates and, as noted above, are provided at no cost to the employer. Employers/students are responsible for H-1B filing fees.

In providing KATZPORT, Career Services levels the playing field by giving employers access to all it requires in order to hire the best possible candidate regardless of his or her citizenship.
Re: employment scene for an international student   [#permalink] 05 Sep 2007, 10:47