Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Apr 2014, 06:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

End of a long GMAT journey with a 740(V-42,Q-49)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 116 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: End of a long GMAT journey with a 740(V-42,Q-49) [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2011, 01:28
I agree with you, US recession , double recession is draining my mind too , not very convinced that spending around 40-50 lacs and then coming back to India with that kind of loan would be very advisable , will have to think on your lines about ISB and other Asian countries

Please press KUDOS if you like my post

Schools: Tepper, McCombs, Kelley, Darden, Andersen
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 35

Premium Member
Re: End of a long GMAT journey with a 740(V-42,Q-49) [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2011, 10:13
crackHSW wrote:
I agree with you, US recession , double recession is draining my mind too , not very convinced that spending around 40-50 lacs and then coming back to India with that kind of loan would be very advisable , will have to think on your lines about ISB and other Asian countries

True. I'm also in two minds what to do. I believe that a degree from a top US business school is going to be an investment for lifetime. It's kind of long term investment. At the same time, one needs to also consider short term to medium term view also which doesn't look very promising at the moment.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 5

Re: End of a long GMAT journey with a 740(V-42,Q-49) [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2011, 20:55
This post received
KUDOS
shovitdhar wrote:
crackHSW wrote:

True. I'm also in two minds what to do. I believe that a degree from a top US business school is going to be an investment for lifetime. It's kind of long term investment. At the same time, one needs to also consider short term to medium term view also which doesn't look very promising at the moment.

I think that India and China are places to be in the future. If you look around after the 2008 recession, the whole of the US,Canada and Europe are in bad shape. There seems to be gloomy news everywhere on the economic front in these countries/continents. On the contrary, the Indian and Chinese economies are on steroids. Can you imagine that while the governments in the developed countries are struggling to increase the economic growth , the central banks in India and China are increasing the interest rates to curb economic growth as it is leading to inflation. In fact, if you look at India, the central Bank known as RBI has increased its lending rates almost 10 times in the last 2 years and there seems to be another round of increase slated in September. The situation is almost the same in China. The point I am trying to put forward is that these countries are the new "land of opportunities" . So though the world economy is interlinked and it's very obvious that these economies are going to be negatively affected by the situation in western markets, but in the short,medium and long term, the prospects look bright.

It's a dawg eat dawg world!

Premium Member
Re: End of a long GMAT journey with a 740(V-42,Q-49) [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2011, 02:14
I agree with you completely that Asia Pacific is the place to be and that's why businesses from the western are scouting to enter or expand in India China.With the growth in the middle class segment in both these countries, the companies abroad view this as an opportunity to increase their revenues which have almost become stagnated because of the control in consumer and government spending in the western world. At the same time, I do feel that getting educated in the US is many times more an enriching experience than it is India/China. Most of the Asian education systems are based on rote learning or theoretical learning while most of the business schools in the US have a heavy emphasis on practical application of concepts in real life scenarios. When you study in environments like those, you tend to develop your horizons,and your understanding of problems and this in turn prepares one to become a leader. An MBA from top US/European business schools in highly revered in Asia or for that matter wherever you'll go . So even if someone would want to work later in Asia, he's going to get a headstart if he has a US degree.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 5

Re: End of a long GMAT journey with a 740(V-42,Q-49) [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2011, 05:41
shovitdhar wrote:
I agree with you completely that Asia Pacific is the place to be and that's why businesses from the western are scouting to enter or expand in India China.With the growth in the middle class segment in both these countries, the companies abroad view this as an opportunity to increase their revenues which have almost become stagnated because of the control in consumer and government spending in the western world. At the same time, I do feel that getting educated in the US is many times more an enriching experience than it is India/China. Most of the Asian education systems are based on rote learning or theoretical learning while most of the business schools in the US have a heavy emphasis on practical application of concepts in real life scenarios. When you study in environments like those, you tend to develop your horizons,and your understanding of problems and this in turn prepares one to become a leader. An MBA from top US/European business schools in highly revered in Asia or for that matter wherever you'll go . So even if someone would want to work later in Asia, he's going to get a headstart if he has a US degree.

Great points. Really insightful analysis. I agree with your points, but I think that each indvidual is unique and one has to take various factors into consideration before deciding. Since I am married, going for an MBA abroad would prove to be too expensive. I don't want to burden myself with a huge loan because that would mean compromising on the lifestyle post-MBA for some years which is something the society doesn't expect from a married man. :| Secondly, my wife is also working so going for an MBA at this time would unsettle her career too. So a lot of factors are involved .

Premium Member
Re: End of a long GMAT journey with a 740(V-42,Q-49) [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2011, 07:32
target2010 wrote:
I don't want to burden myself with a huge loan because that would mean compromising on the lifestyle post-MBA for some years which is something the society doesn't expect from a married man. :|

LOL! Very true!

Quote:
Secondly, my wife is also working so going for an MBA at this time would unsettle her career too. So a lot of factors are involved .

I think that if your spouse accompanies you for your MBA abroad, she(he) can work full-time . Isn't it ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Other)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 23

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: End of a long GMAT journey with a 740(V-42,Q-49) [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2011, 04:37
shovitdhar wrote:
target2010 wrote:
I don't want to burden myself with a huge loan because that would mean compromising on the lifestyle post-MBA for some years which is something the society doesn't expect from a married man. :|

LOL! Very true!

Quote:
Secondly, my wife is also working so going for an MBA at this time would unsettle her career too. So a lot of factors are involved .

I think that if your spouse accompanies you for your MBA abroad, she(he) can work full-time . Isn't it ?

well I guess it all depends, given the tough situation @ the corner in the west. How difficilt/easy would it be to search a good job ?

My GMAT Journey 540->680->730!

~ When the going gets tough, the Tough gets going!

Premium Member
Re: End of a long GMAT journey with a 740(V-42,Q-49) [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2011, 04:11
yogesh1984 wrote:
shovitdhar wrote:
target2010 wrote:

LOL! Very true!

Quote:

well I guess it all depends, given the tough situation @ the corner in the west. How difficilt/easy would it be to search a good job ?

It obviously isn't gonna be an easy job though. The problem someone's spouse is going to be face is that most of the schools are located at remote places or at least are fairly removed from the city ,so finding for quality job in such kind of places becomes a little difficult.
Manager
Manager

Re: End of a long GMAT journey with a 740(V-42,Q-49) [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2011, 23:53
shovitdhar wrote:
It obviously isn't gonna be an easy job though. The problem someone's spouse is going to be face is that most of the schools are located at remote places or at least are fairly removed from the city ,so finding for quality job in such kind of places becomes a little difficult.

You're true. That's the very reason I don't wanna go to the US. My MBA will unsettle my entire family life :-D That's why I want to first exploit all possibilities in India and if I run out of them,then possibly I may think about MBA abroad

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 3

Re: End of a long GMAT journey with a 740(V-42,Q-49) [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2011, 22:12
Great discussion going on here guys. Learnt quite a few new things. I was just thinking that if the scenario in the US is not very good so I think that It'd be even worse in the business schools in UK and Europe where the economies are even worse shape than that of the US. What do you say ?
Manager
Manager

Re: End of a long GMAT journey with a 740(V-42,Q-49) [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2011, 21:30
foofighter5 wrote:
Great discussion going on here guys. Learnt quite a few new things. I was just thinking that if the scenario in the US is not very good so I think that It'd be even worse in the business schools in UK and Europe where the economies are even worse shape than that of the US. What do you say ?

Yes and no.Yes, because the economies in Europe are really struggling to stand on their feet and the job creation is as bad as it in the US. No, because there are only a handful of good business schools in Europe(around 10-15) in contrast to the US where there's no dearth of good business schools. So getting a job in Europe if you're graduating from one of these schools shouldn't be very difficult.

Premium Member
Re: End of a long GMAT journey with a 740(V-42,Q-49) [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2011, 02:26
target2010 wrote:
foofighter5 wrote:

Yes and no.Yes, because the economies in Europe are really struggling to stand on their feet and the job creation is as bad as it in the US. No, because there are only a handful of good business schools in Europe(around 10-15) in contrast to the US where there's no dearth of good business schools. So getting a job in Europe if you're graduating from one of these schools shouldn't be very difficult.

Couldn't agree more!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 3

Re: End of a long GMAT journey with a 740(V-42,Q-49) [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2011, 03:23
shovitdhar wrote:

I agree but if you look at the scenario ,you'll see that the number of applicants at the top US business schools has gone down this year .Clearly, proves that not all are fully convinced with the dreams associated with the dreams associated with an MBA degree and people are playing safe in this job market.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 3

Re: End of a long GMAT journey with a 740(V-42,Q-49) [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2011, 22:45
Thank you for the post. It was helpful. Do you remember that how many inequalities question did you get on Maths. I recently took a GMATPREP and there seemed to be quite a few of them and all of them seemed to be difficult.
Manager
Manager

Re: End of a long GMAT journey with a 740(V-42,Q-49) [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2011, 09:56
invincibleforce wrote:
Thank you for the post. It was helpful. Do you remember that how many inequalities question did you get on Maths. I recently took a GMATPREP and there seemed to be quite a few of them and all of them seemed to be difficult.

I don't remember exactly how many inequalities questions were there but I guess there were 4-5 of them. They seemed difficult to handle especially the Data sufficiency ones.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 3

Re: End of a long GMAT journey with a 740(V-42,Q-49) [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2011, 04:43
target2010 wrote:

I don't remember exactly how many inequalities questions were there but I guess there were 4-5 of them. They seemed difficult to handle especially the Data sufficiency ones.

Oh God! If I see that many inequalities questions,I'm sure that I'll start sweating. But thanks for the info
Manager
Manager

Re: End of a long GMAT journey with a 740(V-42,Q-49) [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2011, 03:18
invincibleforce wrote:
target2010 wrote:

Oh God! If I see that many inequalities questions,I'm sure that I'll start sweating. But thanks for the info

No, don't worry much. There are 8-9 experimental questions on the GMAT so it is entirely possible that these seemingly difficult looking maybe experimental :-D

Intern
Intern
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: End of a long GMAT journey with a 740(V-42,Q-49) [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2011, 01:08
@target2010
Since you're targetting the Indian schools, so thought that I'd ask you this. Do you think that applying to GLIM is worth it ? How does it compare with ISB Hyderabad ? I am getting very mixed opinion about the school .
Manager
Manager

Re: End of a long GMAT journey with a 740(V-42,Q-49) [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2011, 03:01
gmatgaga wrote:
@target2010
Since you're targetting the Indian schools, so thought that I'd ask you this. Do you think that applying to GLIM is worth it ? How does it compare with ISB Hyderabad ? I am getting very mixed opinion about the school .

Yeah, you're right.GLIM is a little difficult choice for most of those who are in the 2-4 years work experience category. Their tuition is around 10 lakhs and the average starting package is almost the same. Since the average work experience of the students is around 3.5 years, I think that it is good for those who do not want to wait for another year or so for say ISB because of varied reasons. At the end of the day, an MBA is what you make of it. ISB is quite costly also so some candidates go to GLIM so that they are not set back by a huge MBA loan. Personally, I am not a great fan of GLIM. Doesn't command that kind of brand recognition in India as the other biggies.

Premium Member
Re: End of a long GMAT journey with a 740(V-42,Q-49) [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2011, 04:33
target2010 wrote:

Yeah, you're right.GLIM is a little difficult choice for most of those who are in the 2-4 years work experience category. Their tuition is around 10 lakhs and the average starting package is almost the same. Since the average work experience of the students is around 3.5 years, I think that it is good for those who do not want to wait for another year or so for say ISB because of varied reasons. At the end of the day, an MBA is what you make of it. ISB is quite costly also so some candidates go to GLIM so that they are not set back by a huge MBA loan. Personally, I am not a great fan of GLIM. Doesn't command that kind of brand recognition in India as the other biggies.

True, GLIM only has a regional influence and isn't in the same league as ISB is. Btw, did you know that they have also going to start a 2 year MBA program from the next year. A candidate can apply to both the programs, so this in a way will give more choice to the student to select the type of MBA program he wants to study in -1 year vs 2 year at the same campus.
Re: End of a long GMAT journey with a 740(V-42,Q-49)   [#permalink] 22 Nov 2011, 04:33