Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 07:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

End of a long GMAT journey with a 740(V-42,Q-49)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [3] , given: 5

End of a long GMAT journey with a 740(V-42,Q-49) [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2011, 22:35
This post received
KUDOS
After having revelled in the glory of the GMAT score which I got two days back, finally I am here with my debrief . Here's my story and I hope that it'll be helpful to others here.

The idea...

Initially I had planned to go to a business school in the 2010 intake but because of lot of other things going in life, I couldn't take the GMAT then and fulfil that dream. Now after having worked for 6 years and achieving a fairly good career growth,I was in two minds whether going for an MBA made sense at this point of time. I researched more on this, talked to many alumni of top business schools and realized that a one year MBA would be a better option for me. After doing more research, I found that the PGPX program at the IIMs and the 1 year programs at INSEAD and ISB would fit me well.

The Study plan/strategy:

My goal was to not stress myself too much in the beginning. I knew that I had to peak in at the right time instead of burning out myself.
I set out for a 4 month plan and took a new year resolution that I am going to be consistent with my studies. I formally started my preparation in Jan end and was targeting at taking the exam by end April.

The Hurdles...

Work : Since I am at a project managerial position and also married, I had to juggle things well. I got zero time to study in office and had to manage studies at home. Since I hardly get anytime left after coming to home(thanks to a kid) ,I would get up a little early in the morning and study from 6 to 8 am everyday.

Discipline: I have been out of touch with studies for the last 6 years. God! makes me realize that time passes so quickly. Maintaining discipline and having the willpower to sit and study for 2 hours is something I developed with a lot of struggle. I had initially planned to take my GMAT by end April but because of work my preparation went off the hook for 2 months in April and May and finally I restarted the prep in June.

The start...

The first thing was to research on the material to use. Being from one top engineering schools, maths never looked scary to me .I have had good communication skills and since I have been a voracious reader, I didn’t have face much issues in Verbal. However, the English tested on the GMAT is a little different from that which is use in our daily lives and I needed to ensure that I prepare diligently for that.

The resources...
For SC, I referred MGMAT SC Guide and Aristotle SC Grail I used SC Grail first. The content layout in SC Grail made learning SC concepts very easy and allowed me to quickly re-learn a lot of what I had forgotten.I firstly went through the entire SC Grail first and then again went through it but this time, I started doing the Questionbank at the end of the book alongwith the topics. For example, while studying the chapter on Modifiers, I utilized the matrix and did all the Modifiers question.
The benefit of doing the SC Questionbank of 100 questions was that I didn’t end up wasting the OG questions initially. The answers to some questions were debatable but overall I think they were good to push me to the next level.

After having completed SC Grail, I moved to MGMAT SC Guide. I breezed through the book smoothly and then finally moved to the official Guide questions. I did the official Guide questions sequentially instead of practising them topic wise, because after practising the questions from SC Grail topicwise, I wanted to do questions from a mixed pool and OG provided me just that.

Critical Reasoning : Now this is a section which I loved equally because of its application in the real world. I used Powerscore CR Bible for this and while reading the book,I took notes diligently. As suggested by rishi raj and others, I started applying the CR concepts in real world. For example,while reading the newspaper or while talking to people, I would try to find out the assumption in their arguments or I’d try to find a strengthener or weakener to support/weaken their argument. Doing all this was fun and I learnt immensely.

Reading Comprehension : I started reading the New york times ,The Wall street journal and any other type of reading material I could get my hands onto. I especially recommend trying to read a couple of scientific publications if you have never done so, as you might run into a reading comprehension that carries such content. The language in a scientific paper can be very technical and, depending on the author's style, dry (no offense to scientists; I do fall into this category more often than I would want to). For practice, I exhausted the passages in OG12 first. However, I found most of the passages to be easy or of medium difficulty level. Moved to RC99 after that. Some of the passages are really difficulty there and not very representative of the GMAT passages but I think they helped me improve my stamina and concentration ability. I also became comfortable with those kind of obscure passages which are are tested on the GMAT.

The test...

I reached the center on time . The test started and I was a little nervous in the beginning but the AWA questions were straightforward, and I breezed through them. I would say I took about 3 minutes to plan, 25 minutes to write and proof-read simultaneously, and the remainder to do a final read for each essay.

The Math section went smoothly. Some of the questions were quite tricky and I ensured that I double check the answers for those tricky bits.

Verbal went by a little jerkier; I had found that my primary issue with verbal during the practice tests was that I tended to gloss over passages and sentences, resulting in me missing out on key information. During the test, I was constantly reminding myself to slow down and read confidently and to answer only when I believed that I had a clear understanding of what was meant or wanted.

After filling the survey and making sure that I had “report/view scores” selected, I hit the send button. Got a 740( Q49, V42). I was more than happy to see the scores .It was such a relief that I wouldn’t have to take the GMAT again.

I am happy that the GMAT saga is over and I can happily look at the schools I’m targetting without having to worry on the GMAT front. These forums-both gmatclub and beatthegmat have been of great help to me as I googled the SC questions I had doubt in and invariably would land up with the links to the questions discussed here.
Rather not to compare but just as a thought, I think that each site has its own strengthen. The advantage of BTG is that it has instructors from various companies and you get great answers. The advantage of gmatclub is that it has more active community when it comes to the b-school application process. I got to know most of the things about the pros and cons of the schools from it. Hail the founders of both these websites.
I will be happy to take any questions and help out others here.

-target2010 on gmatclub
-Black Knight on beatthegmat.

It's a dawg eat dawg world!

Last edited by target2010 on 28 Jan 2012, 05:37, edited 1 time in total.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 1983

Kudos [?]: 6419 [1] , given: 3565

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: End of a long GMAT journey with a 740(V-42,Q-49) [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2011, 23:32
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Congratulations and thank you for posting!

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: End of a long GMAT journey with a 740(V-42,Q-49) [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2011, 12:10
congrats!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V50
WE: Research (Other)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 35

GMAT Tests User
Re: End of a long GMAT journey with a 740(V-42,Q-49) [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2011, 15:52
Congratulations, that is a great score. What practice tests did you use and what kind of scores were you getting?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
Re: End of a long GMAT journey with a 740(V-42,Q-49) [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2011, 16:37
great score...wow verbal 42...
Intern
Intern
Status: Preparing for GMAT; want to join MBA program in fall 2012
Schools: Tippie School of Management, University of Iowa, Iowa City

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Re: End of a long GMAT journey with a 740(V-42,Q-49) [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2011, 19:18
Congrats, thanks for posting...

Regards,
Abel

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 5

Re: End of a long GMAT journey with a 740(V-42,Q-49) [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2011, 00:31
bb wrote:
Congratulations and thank you for posting!

Thanks, bb. Great to see your post here.
Quote:
Congratulations, that is a great score. What practice tests did you use and what kind of scores were you getting?

I used the Kaplan practice tests which come with their course(not the CD Companion ones). I was averaging around 730 on those tests and the range was between 690 and 750. I felt that the Maths on these tests was simpler than that on the GMAT and the Verbal was also okayish,not very great .However, what I was happy about is that these tests didn't have that ridiculous scoring which the Kaplan CD Companion tests have.

Retired Thread Master
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V32
GPA: 3
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 33

GMAT Tests User
Re: End of a long GMAT journey with a 740(V-42,Q-49) [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2011, 04:17
congrats on the great score and thanks for the debrief
Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB, IIMA ,SP Jain , XLRI
WE 1: Aditya Birla Group (sales)
WE 2: Saint Gobain Group (sales)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: End of a long GMAT journey with a 740(V-42,Q-49) [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2011, 10:30
target2010 wrote:
I am happy that the GMAT saga is over and I can happily look at the schools I’m targetting without having to worry on the GMAT front. These forums-both gmatclub and beatthegmat have been of great help to me as I googled the SC questions I had doubt in and invariably would land up with the links to the questions discussed here.
Rather not to compare but just as a thought, I think that each site has its own strengthen. The advantage of BTG is that it has instructors from various companies and you get great answers. The advantage of gmatclub is that it has more active community when it comes to the b-school application process. I got to know most of the things about the pros and cons of the schools from it. Hail the founders of both these websites.
I will be happy to take any questions and help out others here.

-target2010 on gmatclub
-Black Knight on beatthegmat.

Great debrief man
kudos to you and your spirit.........:)

WarLocK

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 28

GMAT Tests User
Re: End of a long GMAT journey with a 740(V-42,Q-49) [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2011, 01:08
Congos man!! you did it :)

BR
Mandy
Manager
Manager

Re: End of a long GMAT journey with a 740(V-42,Q-49) [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2011, 19:29
Thank you guys! I'm glad that you found my debrief helpful.

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 115 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: End of a long GMAT journey with a 740(V-42,Q-49) [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2011, 21:30
Congrats for awesome score , all the best for applications

Please press KUDOS if you like my post

Schools: Tepper, McCombs, Kelley, Darden, Andersen
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 35

Premium Member
Re: End of a long GMAT journey with a 740(V-42,Q-49) [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2011, 02:18
Congrats for the great score. Inspite of having a lot of hurdles, you managed to sail through and came out with flying colors. Great job done!
Manager
Manager

Re: End of a long GMAT journey with a 740(V-42,Q-49) [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2011, 04:57
shovitdhar wrote:
Congrats for the great score. Inspite of having a lot of hurdles, you managed to sail through and came out with flying colors. Great job done!

Thanks.Now that the GMAT part is done and have just started with the application research, I think that it's as tedious as the GMAT is. Are you applying to the schools you have mentioned in your profile or any plans of applying to ISB ?

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 3.75 IT
WE 2: 1.0 IT
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: End of a long GMAT journey with a 740(V-42,Q-49) [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2011, 05:14
Congrats man!! Good Luck for the apps!!

Cheers,
Varun

If you like my post, give me KUDOS!!

Premium Member
Re: End of a long GMAT journey with a 740(V-42,Q-49) [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2011, 23:19
target2010 wrote:
shovitdhar wrote:

Thanks.Now that the GMAT part is done and have just started with the application research, I think that it's as tedious as the GMAT is. Are you applying to the schools you have mentioned in your profile or any plans of applying to ISB ?

ISB was not on my radar but given the state of affairs in the US, I may have to give it serious thought. The whole US economy is in a bad shape. There's scarcity of jobs and I don't know what will happen if I don't land up with a job on graduating. There will be a huge amount of loan riding on my back and it will be sufficient to drive me bankrupt if I don't get a good job. So I think it's safer now to stay back in India or at least in Asia where the economies are not in bad shapes.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 3

Re: End of a long GMAT journey with a 740(V-42,Q-49) [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2011, 06:23
you ended you journey with a happy end!!!
big satisfaction?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 3

Re: End of a long GMAT journey with a 740(V-42,Q-49) [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2011, 08:28
@target2010
Fabulously written debrief .I'm two weeks away from my gmat date. What do you suggest should i be doing in these days?

Posted from my mobile device Image

Premium Member
Re: End of a long GMAT journey with a 740(V-42,Q-49) [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2011, 10:32
shovitdhar wrote:
target2010 wrote:
shovitdhar wrote:

you're correct. With the US economy generating fewer and fewer jobs,it is going to be difficult for international candidates to find jobs.

ISB was not on my radar but given the state of affairs in the US, I may have to give it serious thought. The whole US economy is in a bad shape. There's scarcity of jobs and I don't know what will happen if I don't land up with a job on graduating. There will be a huge amount of loan riding on my back and it will be sufficient to drive me bankrupt if I don't get a good job. So I think it's safer now to stay back in India or at least in Asia where the economies are not in bad shapes.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager

Re: End of a long GMAT journey with a 740(V-42,Q-49) [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2011, 06:56
True! I think that India and China are the places to be in the next 20 years. I think now in the metros in India, one can afford a comfortable lifestyle and enjoy life ,maybe not as much as you would in a US city, but certainly to a good extent. At least there'd be no gloomy talk throughout the day about the economy being in recession etc.I'm sick of that talk for the last 4 years.

Re: End of a long GMAT journey with a 740(V-42,Q-49)   [#permalink] 17 Aug 2011, 06:56