Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 01:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

End of a phase

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

End of a phase [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2006, 17:15
This is a long post, and it does not even talk much about the scores. This is primarily intended to talk about my experiences before, just before, during and after the exam.

Some of you might already have noticed the "just before".

I have been intent on getting a place in an MBA program for a very long time. Background Check - I am an engineer, and have 7 years of work experince at this time. The want to do an MBA arose about 4 years ago, when the IT industry was falling apart (it is tearing apart now, at seams). But back to my story - I ended up taking CAT, the Combined Admission Test, for the IIMs (the Indian Institutes of Management) in 2003 end, for admission to 2004-2004 programs. Background Check - I am an Indian Citizen. I was unlucky, that I did not get admission to IIM at Ahmedabad, where I wanted to, and ended up getting calls from IIMs at Lucknow and Kozhikode. In frustration, I didn't join either, and moved to the United States.

So again my quest started for pursuing an MBA program from the Unites States. And I prepared on and off, in the last 2 years, for the GMAT. Finally when I decided, it was quite late. I registered on 18th May for the GMAT. The last day of applications was 15th June at my local school (W P Carey School of Business), but I had a weeklong training starting 5th June, I could really not take my GMAT after the 3rd of June. So that's the date I chose. This gave me roughly 15 days to prepare and take the GMAT.

I had one book, the OG 10 that I have had for a while now. Other than that, I bought Kaplan 2006 premium edition. This was recommended by a friend of mine. In retrospect, I don't think Kaplan is that good:
1. Kaplan's math doesn't challange you.
2. Some of Kaplan's math questions are picks from OG.
3. Kaplan's Verbal tests are horrible - tough and ambiguous answers.
4. Their test software sucks too - its different from the real thing.

I am sure if I start a Kapslan :) I'd prepare a course much better than Kaplan. But as a business school aspirant, I know that better does not always sell :)

To be fair to Kaplan, they do have good verbal tips. I's be honest here - I didn't read their book for more than 2-3 hours to know more than that - I took all their tests though, and they did nothing more than to kill my self confidence.

Okay now about the scores during practice. In the on-and-off practice days, I was consistantly among 90 percentiles in the GMATClub challanges. But that was math only. I knew being a non-native speaker, my verbal skills would be severely put to test in GMAT. This didn't become apparent in the GMATPrep tests though:
GMATPrep 1 : 770
GMATPrep 2 : 760
GMATPrep 2 (retest - 770)
Someone had mentioned that GMATPrep software has so many questions that if you take a retest, it provides you with a different set of questions. This isn't exactly true - some questions were repeated.
Kaplan 1 - 620
Kaplan 2 - 600
Kaplan 3 - 520
Kaplan 4 - 590.
I am writing these scores from my memory, as I remember them - I'd be able to correct them later - I have the scores recorded in my notebook.

On the day of the exam, which was to start by 8:15 (am), I ran into problems. I had taken my Arizona state driver's licence for identification purposes. The Pearsons people told me that's not sufficient. I needed to provide my passport because I was not a citizen. Turned out, that GMAC's email that confirms the registration for GMAT is misleading in some way. It mentions that if you're taking the test in USA, there're certain things that qualify as proper ID, and driver's licence is one of them. It does not mention citizenship here. It also mentions that if you're taking the test in India, you need to have your passport. Since I was not taking the test in India, I thought the driver's licence would suffice. That was not to be. They pointed out to an obscure corner of that mail, where it was mentioned that if you're taking the test in a country other than the country of your citizenship, you should get a passport.

This was pointed out at 7:38 am, and they said if you can get the passport by 8:15, well and good, else you're on your own. Troublespot: my home is 30 miles from the test center. I called a friend, and asked him to get the passport from my home. He drove at 80 miles an hour all the way, and I had my passport at 8:13 am !!

Well, in panic I must have called 20 times in those 37 minutes. But I am glad he was able to reach in time, and I am so grateful to him for his efforts.

Well, finally I was allowed to take the test. Here're some observations about the test:
1. The washable notebook that is provided isn't too good. Its not a 100% substitute for a pencil and paper. Sometimes the pen stops working. But all in all, its not something that would really hurt you.
2. Reaching the test center early is a good idea. AND IF YOU ARE NOT A CITIZEN, CARRY YOUR PASSPORT. THIS IS TRUE EVEN IF YOU'RE A CITIZEN, TAKING THE TEST IN THE US. I saw a guy going back without giving the test because his address had changed, and his driver's licence still mentioned the old address. Reaching early also gives you the option of going back home and getting something, if you missed something.
3. The test isn't difficult. All said and done, the test is easy. I am sure that had I been not that panicky that morning, I'd have done much better. And I am positive that the people who don't end up doing well in the test do so because of reasons other than intelligence.

I ended up scoring a 750 (99 %ile).
Quant 50 (95%ile), Verbal 41 (93%ile).

This ends one phase. Life doesn't end. At this time, I am not even sure if I should go ahead and apply - I don't even know what value add would an MBA from ASU do to my career, and my life.

I would be around in this forum. I've gotten much from it. And if anyone needs help, can send me a message.

Thats my way of paying back.

Who says elephants can't dance?

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 256

Kudos [?]: 1577 [0], given: 7

Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2006, 18:18
750!

Wow!

Congrats.
VP
VP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2006, 18:35
Great score Kapslock!

Good luck for your apps!

"To dream anything that you want to dream, that is the beauty of the human mind. To do anything that you want to do, that is the strength of the human will. To trust yourself, to test your limits, that is the courage to succeed."

- Bernard Edmonds

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

[#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2006, 19:26
Wonderful score......
Congratulations!!!!
VP
VP
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2006, 20:16
one more great news.

Kapslock, congratulations. 750- a great score. after ups and down, finally you are paid off.

i admire your math skills that i want to borrow. however i also scored 50 in math, i couldnot cross 700.

it is really pity to hear passport story. is Pearson VUE going to find terrorists? this is really a sad, hopeless and discouraging practice on the part of new test taker.

goodluck.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2006, 21:43
Thanks Rhyme. Thanks Giddi for your wishes. Thanks Zoom !!!

Thanks Prof. You can always IM me to discuss math skills (honestly, I don't think I am great at that - and no, this is not being falsely modest). If you did well at math, yet missed 700, it appears you were a bit off the mark in verbal. Verbal can be worked on - especially if you are a non-native speaker. Though real improvements in verbal are attainable over a period of time through diligent readings, thankfully GMAT doesnt test them. So you would be in good stead soon.

Having said that, you might want to reconsider if 700+ is really your objective. For example, to make it to ASU's evening program, I dont need more than 570-580. Anything more than this is pure ego satisfaction. Even at Harvard, the average GMAT is just about 710.

An admission to a business program is much more than a GMAT score. It includes work experience, leadership, and clear goal orientation and focus. I wish you all the very best in excelling in all of these, to get the school of your choice.

I remember HongHu once said, there're more challanges to life than GMAT alone, and how we wish life was as simple (?) as GMAT.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2006, 03:04
Hi kapslock,

Congratulations! I can't believe we got the same score in math...I got more than what I deserved and you got less...

Good Luck!!

Please allow me to introduce myself: I'm a man of wealth and taste

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2006, 03:32
All this effort finally paid off. Congrats kapslock!

Best Regards,

Paul

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2006, 04:09
Kapslock

That is a great story and a great reward for you. Congrats!!
You killed the beast and :food it

Yes, for non-native speakers verbals can be tough - but you still nailed it in that short time. I can relate to your story on a few aspects. Maybe you want to look at some other schools beside ASU (meaning higher ranked..) as you have a geniune shot.

I believe its yogurt!

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2006, 04:50
Kapslock, your's is a great score ..........

Congrats congrats ..

Wish you all the best ..
:king
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 1

[#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2006, 04:57
You are the man Kapslock....
Awesome Score.....
Your maths posts were really rocking and almost always correct and your explainaiotns wonderful.
Please continue contributing the quality stuff....

Best of Luck for ur Apps :-D
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 203 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2006, 08:26
Great score! Congrats! (Once again it proves how important friends are, isn't it? ;)) Let us know what happens next!

Keep on asking, and it will be given you;
keep on seeking, and you will find;
keep on knocking, and it will be opened to you.

Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2006, 08:40
Wow, that's a great effort considering what you went thru in the morning! Congrats & Good Luck!
VP
VP

[#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2006, 13:26
Gr8 score. Good to see old timers nailing their GMATs....Congrats!! :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2006, 15:12
Thanks TheArch. No, you deserved the 50 :) So its time to bask in the glory of the 50 and don't talk about whether you deserved it or not !!

Thanks Paul. Yours is quite an inspiration - you've almost always been around - mostly non verbal/quant sections. But its amazing dedication that you display. Its an inspiration. Thanks.

GMATMBA, thanks for yor wishes. You're right, that verbal can pose some issues for non native speakers, but in India, where I hail from, English is so ubiquitous, at least in the urban areas, the argument that you're a non-native speaker is fairly weak. I know this might not be true for many many people from many many countries, like France, Japan and even China, where the native language holds a much stronger position.

Thanks Selene. I appreciate your good wishes.

Gaurav, thanks for the wishes. I did have a fair understanding of maths, and I'd be present in the forum for as long as I can. Its payback time :) Wish you too the best of luck for your apps.

HongHu !! Whoa, I thought you had disappeared. Good to see you back. In trying to trace you, I followed your blogs. No luck though. Your philosophy on life is pretty helpful in facing tough times. Thanks for everything. Did you join UoR? What's going on?

GSR, yes, in retrospect, I do believe that there were great chances that the panic could have spoilt my scores. It probably didn't. Thank Lord for that!! And thank you for good wishes.

Baner, you're another one !! You've been absconding for a while !! Anyway, great to see you too visit the forum sometime. Thanks for your wishes. What're you upto these days?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2006, 15:23
Guys,

I think it would be a good idea to share ideas, knowledge, tips, tricks, study material and in general collaborate among each other even when we get into the B-School program. This would help us grow not only preparing for the GMAT, but also when we're studying there, and maybe even after that.

Keeping this in mind, I invite you guys to add me to your messenger. You can add me as kapilsharmax at ya hoo dot com.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2006, 15:28
Awesome score. Good luck!
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2006, 16:34
kapslock wrote:
Guys,

I think it would be a good idea to share ideas, knowledge, tips, tricks, study material and in general collaborate among each other even when we get into the B-School program. This would help us grow not only preparing for the GMAT, but also when we're studying there, and maybe even after that.

Keeping this in mind, I invite you guys to add me to your messenger. You can add me as kapilsharmax at ya hoo dot com.

Yep agree with your suggestion. Already added you to my IM. I am also planning on doing a PT MBA. Still collecting info..

"To dream anything that you want to dream, that is the beauty of the human mind. To do anything that you want to do, that is the strength of the human will. To trust yourself, to test your limits, that is the courage to succeed."

- Bernard Edmonds

VP
VP

[#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2006, 18:32
kapslock wrote:
Thanks TheArch. No, you deserved the 50 :) So its time to bask in the glory of the 50 and don't talk about whether you deserved it or not !!

Thanks Paul. Yours is quite an inspiration - you've almost always been around - mostly non verbal/quant sections. But its amazing dedication that you display. Its an inspiration. Thanks.

GMATMBA, thanks for yor wishes. You're right, that verbal can pose some issues for non native speakers, but in India, where I hail from, English is so ubiquitous, at least in the urban areas, the argument that you're a non-native speaker is fairly weak. I know this might not be true for many many people from many many countries, like France, Japan and even China, where the native language holds a much stronger position.

Thanks Selene. I appreciate your good wishes.

Gaurav, thanks for the wishes. I did have a fair understanding of maths, and I'd be present in the forum for as long as I can. Its payback time :) Wish you too the best of luck for your apps.

HongHu !! Whoa, I thought you had disappeared. Good to see you back. In trying to trace you, I followed your blogs. No luck though. Your philosophy on life is pretty helpful in facing tough times. Thanks for everything. Did you join UoR? What's going on?

GSR, yes, in retrospect, I do believe that there were great chances that the panic could have spoilt my scores. It probably didn't. Thank Lord for that!! And thank you for good wishes.

Baner, you're another one !! You've been absconding for a while !! Anyway, great to see you too visit the forum sometime. Thanks for your wishes. What're you upto these days?

Kaps, I am sure u will get into a top 10 program. I wud recommend that u aim higher than ASU as MBA is a big investment and one needs to make sure u r investing in the rite program. As for me, I have been "absconding" for a while. Kinda busy with my transition. I am heading to Wharton full-time program this fall. Good luck!
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 203 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2006, 16:48
kapslock wrote:

:lol: I came back just so that I can congratulate you. ;) Actually I try to come back every once and while and chip in my two cents occasionaly (in math, obviously :D ). It is good to see people are getting good discussions. As for me, I'm in the Health Service Research program in UR's medical school, and will enter Simon this September. Thanks for remebering me. :)

Keep on asking, and it will be given you;
keep on seeking, and you will find;
keep on knocking, and it will be opened to you.

[#permalink] 10 Jun 2006, 16:48