Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 17:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

End of my GMAT Journey!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
6 KUDOS received
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [6] , given: 561

GMAT Tests User
End of my GMAT Journey! [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2013, 23:34
This post received
KUDOS
So here's the story.
It was Jan-Feb 2012. I decided that I gotto apply to TAS and that needed a GMAT score. But I was so busy with my work that I hardly got any time to go thru

the OG( I didn't know that the Holy Grail of GMAT is called the OG) that I got from my office library.

May: Work reduced. Started searching for GMAT coaching classes in Bangalore. Joined CrackVerbal only for Verbal. Didn't study much. Wasn't serious. Rather,

didn't know that GMAT would need serious dedication.

June: Went thru Jeff Sackmann's book. Again, wasn't serious.
Took a mock test from old gmatprep software.
Result: 560 Q 39, V 28
Was depressed.

July: Seriousness increased. Started going thru MGMAT Quant and solving OG Quant easy questions.
Took 2nd mock test from old gmatprep software.
Result: 570 Q 44, V25
Had forgotten all the rules in SC when I took the test.
Was shattered.

August: Badly bruised, joined another coaching class. Started solving Tough GMATPrep Quant Questions.

Took a Kaplan Free test. Scored 580.

Then took a MGMAT CAT1: 630 Q 40, V36
Realised I did a mistake solving GMAT PRep questions without having a firm foundation in Quant and I needed to fix my timing issues in Quant.

September: No study. Lot of work in office.

October: OG Quant. 20-40 Questions a day + MGMAT Strategy Guides

November: No Study. Lot of work in office

December: Quant review + Verbal review.

January: 1 month study leave.

GMAT Prep New software mock 1: 650 Q 47, 33
GMAT Prep New software mock 1: 640 Q 47, 31

GMAT 1: 31st Jan 2013 640 Q 43 V 34
Shattered. Q dropped by 4 points.

Redemmed kudos for GC tests.
taxed my brain; started realising that tough questions are within my reach; made a log; analysed my mistakes; saw a pattern of mistakes; fixed them.
A week before the exam :
MGMAT 5: 670 Q44 V37
MGMAT 6: 660 Q45 V35

GMAT 2 : 630 Q 47 V 29.

Encountered the weirdest SCs ever. SC Questions in OG/Verbal Review/GMAT PRep SC/Question Pack 1 are no longer representative of what you see on GMAT.
I am very strong in SC. I could solve 12/15 hard SC questions from PAck1 correctly but on the GMAT, SC questions were the weirdest bunch of questions I ever saw in my life.

I have learnt a lot of things in this journey. I used to think that I am weak in Quant; thought that I couldn't analyse well and couldn't solve tough Quant Questions.
But the last 1 and half months have been extremely satisfying. I practised with GMAT Club CATs and I realised that I am able to solve tough questions.
All that was required was a bit of thought process. I taxed my brain to respond and it did and I saw myself solving tough questions with ease. I analysed my mistakes by maintaining a log and by forming new habits to counter silly mistakes.

Bitten twice by GMAT ( Quant reduced in first attempt and Verbal in Second) , I guess there are other than GMAT, more things that I need to work on in my life as far as

applications is concerned. This for sure is a positive sign of a better future. Over the last 10 months, I have hardly done anything else in my free time

apart from studying for GMAT.

With a 640, I am gonna face a lot of competition when I apply to my target school. But I am flexible with my MBA plans and have ample time to work on my profile.

If I take GMAT again , I may get 660-680 or 620-650. You never know. But, I have no enthusiasm left after studying for 10 months. I am moving on and hopefully I make it to my target school 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 years from now.

I would like to thank Karishma Bansal ( VeritasPrepKarishma), Charles Bibilios(GMATNinja), Bunuel, jumsumtak, Souvik,Vercules, bb, carcass, Ron Purewal, Stacey Koprince, Sandeep Gupta and many others, names of whom I may have missed for all their help throughout this journey.

Was happy to see my name featured in last week's GC News Letter. :) Thanks bb.

Thanks to Arun Jagannathan, CrackVerbal for all the information on the world of MBA and GMAT.

So, this is the end of my GMAT journey!!!

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

Last edited by Sachin9 on 25 Mar 2013, 09:13, edited 2 times in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
3 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 411 [3] , given: 435

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: End of my GMAT Journey! [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2013, 04:14
This post received
KUDOS
Was looking forward to a successful debrief. I'm sorry that it did not go your way. But, it's not over till the fat lady sings and obviously GMAT is only one part of your application.

It is good to know that you have the heart to carry on and it seems that you've learnt a lot from the process - that is a win to me. Come June-July, you might want to give this another shot. But, I second your thoughts of keeping it on hold and giving your mind and body the rest you deserve. Take a break, spend some time out with friends and family and then start thinking about the application process. Anyhow, you have lots of time for fall deadlines.

good luck on your future endeavors and look forward to seeing you in the business school threads!

[edit]: just to add to the above, in your quest to have a decent score, you have contributed a lot to the community and we all genuinely appreciate the effort :)

My Debrief | MBA Timeline - New! Stay on top of deadlines, receive recommendations for each stage, get reminders.

2 KUDOS received
Fisher Thread Master
GMAT 1: 690 Q37 V48
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 9 [2] , given: 0

Reviews Badge
Re: End of my GMAT Journey! [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2013, 06:38
This post received
KUDOS
Sachin , bro !
you cant give up now dude...you have come too far to give it up and go for an avg MBA school. 700 is not that far..
read my brief , i appeared for GMAT on the 14th mar, there is a Lot of me that i can see in you.
see my mini brief n you will know what i am takin abt:

GMATPrep 1: 670
GMATPrep 2 : 710

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 22 [1] , given: 561

GMAT Tests User
Re: End of my GMAT Journey! [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2013, 07:33
This post received
KUDOS
jumsumtak wrote:
Was looking forward to a successful debrief. I'm sorry that it did not go your way. But, it's not over till the fat lady sings and obviously GMAT is only one part of your application.

It is good to know that you have the heart to carry on and it seems that you've learnt a lot from the process - that is a win to me. Come June-July, you might want to give this another shot. But, I second your thoughts of keeping it on hold and giving your mind and body the rest you deserve. Take a break, spend some time out with friends and family and then start thinking about the application process. Anyhow, you have lots of time for fall deadlines.

good luck on your future endeavors and look forward to seeing you in the business school threads!

[edit]: just to add to the above, in your quest to have a decent score, you have contributed a lot to the community and we all genuinely appreciate the effort :)

Thanks for the kind words mate! I am in no hurry to get an MBA. I won't stop until I make it to my target school! A 640 puts me in danger zone but with the efforts that I am going to put on my profile , I am sure I will make it there.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 561

GMAT Tests User
Re: End of my GMAT Journey! [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2013, 07:39
nishant1006 wrote:
Sachin , bro !
you cant give up now dude...you have come too far to give it up and go for an avg MBA school. 700 is not that far..
read my brief , i appeared for GMAT on the 14th mar, there is a Lot of me that i can see in you.

Thanks Nishant! I am too tired now to take it again! I have done nothing in my life in the last 10 months other than my work and GMAT! I am a highly active guy and I had sacrificed everything else. I am gonna life ma life now! I may think of taking it again in the future but for now, I am done!

I won't join an average school! I am gonna work on my profile! I have a lot of time to work on it as I am in no hurry to get an MBA!

Happy that you scored a 690! It ain't less! :) Good luck with your applications! :)

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 284 [2] , given: 162

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: End of my GMAT Journey! [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2013, 23:52
This post received
KUDOS
Sachin9 wrote:
nishant1006 wrote:
Sachin , bro !

Thanks Nishant! I am too tired now to take it again! I have done nothing in my life in the last 10 months other than my work and GMAT! I am a highly active guy and I had sacrificed everything else. I am gonna life ma life now! I may think of taking it again in the future but for now, I am done!

I won't join an average school! I am gonna work on my profile! I have a lot of time to work on it as I am in no hurry to get an MBA!

Happy that you scored a 690! It ain't less! :) Good luck with your applications! :)

Its good that you are taking a break. Would suggest you to develop a hobby of reading a book in 2 weeks, So suppose you plan to give GMAT after 1 year. You would have read 26 books. This alone would improve your reading speed. This is secret of people who score in 750+ range.

Spring has passed, summer is gone and winter is here. And the song that I meant to sing remains unsung.
For I have spent my days stringing and un-stringing my instrument.

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: End of my GMAT Journey! [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2013, 00:23
This post received
KUDOS
AbhiJ wrote:
Sachin9 wrote:
nishant1006 wrote:
Sachin , bro !

Its good that you are taking a break. Would suggest you to develop a hobby of reading a book in 2 weeks, So suppose you plan to give GMAT after 1 year. You would have read 26 books. This alone would improve your reading speed. This is secret of people who score in 750+ range.

Thanks a lot Abhi! This is an amazing piece of advice!

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 157 [1] , given: 543

Re: End of my GMAT Journey! [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2013, 01:08
This post received
KUDOS
I agree I think there is a new trend in the SC questions not sure what's up?

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

2 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 210 [2] , given: 65

Re: End of my GMAT Journey! [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2013, 02:41
This post received
KUDOS
I would say its kkkk...I have seen 100's of profile with 640 getting into top mba progs....
Moreover, with gmat you need to just place yourself 80% score bracket of the class....Apart from top 10 r may be top 15 ...you will be able to place yourself in that bracket. I would say there are gmat gurus scored 7tonsssss but did not make to top schools......I m talkn of this fall admission....Getgyan 720 accepted in Suchillich and Neeley....dinged from top schools. So i would say focus on your profile now.

I m sure you will get into school of your choice....I m keeping up my fight from last year and a half r so.....lets c wen can RIP

Archit
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: End of my GMAT Journey! [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2013, 06:38
This post received
KUDOS
fozzzy wrote:
I agree I think there is a new trend in the SC questions not sure what's up?

Yeah, and there's no place we can find the new kind of SC questions I guess!

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: End of my GMAT Journey! [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2013, 07:36
This post received
KUDOS
Archit143 wrote:
I would say its kkkk...I have seen 100's of profile with 640 getting into top mba progs....
Moreover, with gmat you need to just place yourself 80% score bracket of the class....Apart from top 10 r may be top 15 ...you will be able to place yourself in that bracket. I would say there are gmat gurus scored 7tonsssss but did not make to top schools......I m talkn of this fall admission....Getgyan 720 accepted in Suchillich and Neeley....dinged from top schools. So i would say focus on your profile now.

I m sure you will get into school of your choice....I m keeping up my fight from last year and a half r so.....lets c wen can RIP

Archit

Yup! thanks a lot, Archit!

We will rock!

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 120 [2] , given: 79

Re: End of my GMAT Journey! [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 12:36
This post received
KUDOS
Sorry to join the conversation so late! Bummer that things didn't go your way, Sachin. You deserved better.

I really appreciate your attitude toward it all, though. Sometimes we forget that the GMAT is only a very small part of the picture, and the rest of your profile matters much more than your GMAT score. Sure, a 640 is going to make life tough for you at the top programs, but if you can make the rest of your application truly special, then you'll have some really good options. Some of the top European programs seem to be particularly agnostic when it comes to the GMAT, so maybe it's worth focusing some of your attention over there.

It's been a pleasure getting to know you on the forums, Sachin. Enjoy your break from studying, and I'll look forward to some good news during the next admissions cycle.

Helping students kick the GMAT in the nuts since 2002... www.gmatninja.com.

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: End of my GMAT Journey! [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 09:03
GMATNinja wrote:
Sorry to join the conversation so late! Bummer that things didn't go your way, Sachin. You deserved better.

I really appreciate your attitude toward it all, though. Sometimes we forget that the GMAT is only a very small part of the picture, and the rest of your profile matters much more than your GMAT score. Sure, a 640 is going to make life tough for you at the top programs, but if you can make the rest of your application truly special, then you'll have some really good options. Some of the top European programs seem to be particularly agnostic when it comes to the GMAT, so maybe it's worth focusing some of your attention over there.

It's been a pleasure getting to know you on the forums, Sachin. Enjoy your break from studying, and I'll look forward to some good news during the next admissions cycle.

Thanks a lot Charles for your blogs and posts. They are special. :)

2 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 49

Kudos [?]: 160 [2] , given: 66

Re: End of my GMAT Journey! [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 10:27
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi Sachin9,

I haven't been on this forum for that long but I have noticed your active participation in all kinds of discussions and questions, so I wanted to take the time to thank you for your input and congratulate you on your pragmatic view of the entire GMAT experience. You put in a lot of dedication and effort and the result may not have been exactly what you wanted but the entire experience has undoubtedly made you wiser and more prepared for whatever else life throws your way. I'm hopeful this was an experience you will look back on fondly in the future.

I also hope to hear positive news from you in the future.

Best of luck!
-Ron

Ron Awad
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting Services
Veritas Prep Reviews

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Mays '16, Simon '16
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: Q V
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [2] , given: 51

Re: End of my GMAT Journey! [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 12:11
This post received
KUDOS
Sachin ..Don't give up . Although there are many factors that influence admissions at top schools,gmat is the single biggest factor...I suggest a retake again after a few months.

My story is very similar to yours.
I have been fighting the battle to 'conquer' the gmat for 6 months now. Its been only work and gmat prep for me all this while.I used Jeff Sackman books the 1st time ...ended up with a pathetic 450 on the GMAT. Took a break . Studied for 2 months .Scored a 600 this time. I was expecting a 650.
Have started to study again after a break . This time I hope to do well .:-)
VP
VP
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 210 [0], given: 65

Re: End of my GMAT Journey! [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 13:27
RJSPO wrote:
Sachin ..Don't give up . Although there are many factors that influence admissions at top schools,gmat is the single biggest factor...I suggest a retake again after a few months.

I have been fighting the battle to 'conquer' the gmat for 6 months now. Its been only work and gmat prep for me all this while.I used Jeff Sackman books the 1st time ...ended up with a pathetic 450 on the GMAT. Took a break . Studied for 2 months .Scored a 600 this time. I was expecting a 650.

Hi RJSPO..
this is apart from the topic being discussed...I think Total gmat math is fr those, who have already reached a level of 45 in quants....i think it may help u nw...
i may be wrong...bt i have read feedbacks, that say , its for test takers who already have reached a level of 45...

it will be gr8 if u cn share ur experiences...

Archit
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: End of my GMAT Journey! [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 19:37
RJSPO wrote:

Thanks RJSPO. I ain't giving up my aspirations to get into a good B school. I have spent enough money and time on GMAT so far and I think I must work on other aspects of my application and give a try. I may or may not take GMAT again but for at least 1 year, I am not gonna take GMAT.

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: End of my GMAT Journey! [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 19:40
This post received
KUDOS
VeritasPrepRon wrote:
Hi Sachin9,

I haven't been on this forum for that long but I have noticed your active participation in all kinds of discussions and questions, so I wanted to take the time to thank you for your input and congratulate you on your pragmatic view of the entire GMAT experience. You put in a lot of dedication and effort and the result may not have been exactly what you wanted but the entire experience has undoubtedly made you wiser and more prepared for whatever else life throws your way. I'm hopeful this was an experience you will look back on fondly in the future.

I also hope to hear positive news from you in the future.

Best of luck!
-Ron

Thanks a lot for the kind words Ron. I believe everything happens for our own good and a 640 on GMAT might be a blessing in disguise! :)

Manager
Manager
Schools: Mays '16, Simon '16
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: Q V
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 51

Re: End of my GMAT Journey! [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2013, 00:46
Archit143 wrote:
RJSPO wrote:

Hi RJSPO..
this is apart from the topic being discussed...I think Total gmat math is fr those, who have already reached a level of 45 in quants....i think it may help u nw...
i may be wrong...bt i have read feedbacks, that say , its for test takers who already have reached a level of 45...

Archit

Archit - I stopped using Total GMAT Math after my 1st GMAT attempt. I use only MGMAT Strategy guides now.
If you think so, I will certainly look at Total GMAT again ...It does hv very useful shortcuts/tips.

Do you think Sackman's Challenge set would help improve my Quant score to 49-50 ?
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: End of my GMAT Journey! [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2013, 00:49
RJSPO wrote:
Archit143 wrote:
RJSPO wrote:

Hi RJSPO..

Archit

Archit - I stopped using Total GMAT Math after my 1st GMAT attempt. I use only MGMAT Strategy guides now.
If you think so, I will certainly look at Total GMAT again ...It does hv very useful shortcuts/tips.

Do you think Sackman's Challenge set would help improve my Quant score to 49-50 ?

GMAT Club CATs will help for sure provided you use them properly and I can vouch for that.

Re: End of my GMAT Journey!   [#permalink] 23 Mar 2013, 00:49