Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 21:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

End of struggle - 750 (a long post)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

End of struggle - 750 (a long post) [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2006, 10:35
Well, I was dreaming of writing my own inspirational email, after reading so many on this site. Finally the day has come.
Come to think of it, I am at a loss of words. I gave my GMAT yesterday and as you all must have guessed by now, came up with a good score.

The unofficial report is:
Scaled, Percentile
Quantitative: 51, 99%
Verbal: 43, 95%
Overall: 750, 98%

AWA: Pending

All in all, a great score. I used the following during my preparation, which lasted a total of 3 months.

Kaplan Course Book (Online course)
GMAT Prep Course (NovaPrep) - mainly for Verbal
Arco
Manhattan GMAT Prep - sentence correction
GMAT Club - for the math problems
OG 11
OG 10 (partially)

I gave about 14 CATs during this period, with about 5 in the last week or so. I will comment on whether this was a useful strategy later in this missive.
The practice scores are as shown:

Kaplan diagnostic - 680 (3 months ago)
Kaplan CAT -2 - 620 (10 weeks ago)
Kaplan CAT -3 - 700 (10 weeks ago)
MGMAT -1 - 690 (9 weeks ago)
MGMAT -2 - 700 (8 weeks ago)
Kaplan CAT -4 - 700

Since I could not seem to break the 700 ceiling, I gave it a break for about 3 weeks and focussed entirely on Verbal. I discovered the Nova's GMAT Prep course book while casually browsing at the local B&N store. This jewel of a book, was worth every penny in addressing my struggle with the Verbal portion of the test. There are 2 sections dedicated to Critical Reasoning and Logic, and the techniques presented were quite unique and helpful. The book has a decent quantitative section, but I did not spend too much time on it.
I also borrowed the Barron's and Princeton book at the local library but decided to discard it as the material was too banal and ordinary. Arco's book is good but has numerous mistakes and wrong solutions. I wouldn't recommend it.

Preparation
I had enrolled in the Kaplan online course, which while being pricy was quite useful in instilling discipline and milestoning my preparation for the final battle. I spent approximately 2 hours daily reworking problems in Quant and learning techniques for Verbal. The gmatclub forum was my constant companion in the last 2 months, and serve as good preparation for the tougher questions that one encounters north of 700 points. I devoted around 5 hours every weekend, sometimes longer, if I had to give a CAT exam. The only "iffy" areas in Quants were probability and permutations. for which I found this forum quite useful. Thanks to Kevincan for coming up with horrendously complex problems. :)
I also had some problems in data sufficiency initially, but after spending enough time on the kaplan problems, my scores began improving.

For the verbal section, I was focussing on RC and SC. I found that RC passages in the OG were representative of the actual passages seen in the GMAT, and often more complex. I found that it helps to identiy a Scope,Purpose for the passage and Central Idea for every paragraph. For sentence correction, I made a list of all the sentence types that the OG-11 lists, and spent about a day studying each type, and its specific variations. Next, I solved the 1000 SC questions package found elsewhere in this forum, clearly identifying each type and making short notes justifying my selection. These notes were invaluable on the day before the GMAT. For critical reasoning, I found that it helps to break apart the argument into "premise_evidence_conclusion" format or break logical arguments into "equations", which can then be easily solved. While it may look like I am plugging Kaplan/Nova techniques, I must say that these are the most effective ways of dealing with CR questions.

I dont have much to say about Quant section as I did not use any special methods or books. A lot of practice helped and also avoiding silly mistakes helps. While I did very well in Quant, I was surprised that I did not see any probablity/P&C questions which which I was worried about.
Pay specific attention to co-ordinate geometry as the questions can get tricky very easily. The OG-10 was helpful in this area.

After about a month of following this rigorous schedule, my scores showed marked improvements. I took these tests spaced every 3 days over the last month

Kaplan CAT - 5 - 770 (P.S: never saw this score again)
CrackGMAT Diagnostic - 730
GMAT Prep 1 - 740
Kaplan CAT - 6 - 730
MGMAT -2 (Repeat) - 750
Kaplan CAT - 7 - 740
GMAT Prep 2 - 720

Now I was in my comfort zone, and began to feel quite good. Over the last 2 weeks I took OG-11 apart and by solving the last 1/3 problems in each section ( which are the toughest), and was doing reasonably well. I also solved some of the problems from Kaplan 800, which I had access to in the online course. These came in handy esp in statistics and CR.

2 days before exam:

a. Fast forwarded on Math concepts
b. Read my notes on SC, and mentally recompiled what I learnt

AWA
I found no useful technique in any book for the AWA. However this score is useful as the admissions comittee reads your essay esp if you apply to the top-tier schools. I found that it helped to ready editorials from reputed publications like WSJ or NYT and understand how they expand an issue or subject into multiple paragraphs. I did not specifically practice for this section save for making some notes on how to attack a given argument/issue.

Timing
It does help a lot to develop mental "milestones" on which question you want to be at different times during the exam. In my case, the first 10 questions in Quant, took me about 22 minutes, as I was extra slow in this important phase. The next 20 or so took about 35, and the last 7 took the longest as they were mostly P&C or probability problems. For RC, plan on spending 3 minutes/question, and less then a minute for SC questions where you can play catch-up. CR questions usually take less than 20 seconds or more the 2 minutes.

In the GMAT
I had the opportinity to take a mock exam in the same center, a week earlier so knew what to expect. It helps to arrive early and calm yourself down, identify where the restrooms, vending machines or coolers are located. The 10 minute break time between sections is not much, as one has to finger print -in and out everytime you leave the seat. The scratch paper provided is quite user-friendly. Pls. request 2 pens as some of them tend to dry out easily. You may also want to spend as much time as possible learning the software interface and checking whether the mouse/keyboard are fully functional before you start the exam.

Hindsight

The success in GMAT, is directly related to time, effort and experience. It helps to gauge where you stand, early in your preparation cycle esp if you are only planning on spending about 2/3 months before taking the exam. Once you have this, you can devise your own methods on how you can maximize your performance in that window. While most people may not have time to take 14 CAT's, I felt that it helped me deal better with timing stress and other issues. Kaplan books are not great, and their test scores can be erratic, however it is a lot more rigorous than the real thing. The online course helped me a lot, but may not be the case for everyone. The official guide books are your bible to ace this exam.They give you a very good base to start preparing from. 2 weeks before the exam, focus more on your strengths rather than the weaker subjects. In my case I was entirely into Quant and SC (in Verbal) and it paid off.

In the end I want to thank some of the senior members of this forum who take time to contribute their experience and knowledge. I am inspired to keep giving my inputs even though I am done with the GMAT. I have some of the material discussed here, available for sale. Please email me if interested.

Last edited by netskater on 09 Oct 2006, 06:16, edited 3 times in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2006, 10:37
Amazing score :D :).... Congratulations ! :)
Manager
Manager
Schools: Olin Business School - Washington University
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2006, 11:30
Sick score - I would have thought 51Q/43V would have been better than a 750 though.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2006, 15:12
Weird I scored a 760 with a M51/V41 split. The percentages were 99/93 andI took the test late July.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Olin Business School - Washington University

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2006, 00:01
Ya how is a 51 not 99 percentile?
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2006, 06:23
diegmat wrote:
Ya how is a 51 not 99 percentile?

friends, I fixed the typo. It is 99% in Quant. Thanks for pointing it out.
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 2.5 yrs in manufacturing

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2006, 08:33
Awesome dude....

Congraaats.. :beer

Enjoiiii....every post like yours certainly provides a boost in the inspiration of future test takers.....

Congraatz once again...

ARISE AWAKE AND REST NOT UNTIL THE GOAL IS ACHIEVED

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2006, 13:46
GREAT score netskater! You really kicked some GMAT a**... All the best for your applications !

Was this your first and only attempt ?

Thanks....
Intern
Intern

Strange [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2006, 17:06
I took GMAT last week and got 760 (Q50, V42),
Q50: 95 %
V42: 95 %

That is lower than you by 1 scaled point in both the areas but still got a higher total score than you ! Thats weird !!!
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 422 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2006, 18:27
That is weird. Also, according to a pretty recent official report, 43V is 97%, not 95% as reported by netskater.

Hmm, incorrect Q percentile, incorrect V percentile and what looks like an incorrect total score reported. Interesting... :roll:
Intern
Intern

Score Combo [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2006, 21:35
Pelihu,

50Q+51V is 95%+99% and 51Q+42V is 99%+95%. I was wondering whether they both would lead to identical total scores (780) ?

If they do, then it is interesting to note the diff in appearance:
50Q+51V appears close to perfection whereas 51Q+42V does not !! Just a thought :)
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2006, 09:13
Congratulations netskater on that score!

It does raise a question (or even a concern) in mind. I took the test on 10/9 and scored a 750, details as follows from the unofficial report:

Q - 50 (95%)
V - 41 (93%)
Total - 750 (98%)

I understand that the curve is quite flat in the 750+ range (i.e., takes a bigger difference in the scaled scores to move the total) but I think it is wierd that a 51, 43 wont move even 10 points. Especially because the Q is a perfect score (99%). If anyone has a good explanation for this, I'd love to hear it.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 422 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Score Combo [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2006, 01:38
mlohani wrote:
Pelihu,

50Q+51V is 95%+99% and 51Q+42V is 99%+95%. I was wondering whether they both would lead to identical total scores (780) ?

If they do, then it is interesting to note the diff in appearance:
50Q+51V appears close to perfection whereas 51Q+42V does not !! Just a thought :)

I hadn't thought about it in that way exactly, but I (and several others) have noticed that increases in the V score in the high part of the scoring range has little influence on the overall score. According to several recent reports:

50/41 = 750
50/43 = 760
50/44 = 770

So it's entirely conceivable that 51/42 or 51/43 could result in 780.

I agree with you 50/51 looks a lot closer to perfect than 51/43, but on the GMAT it's all about the pool of people you are testing against and right now, the pool is absolutely loaded with high math achievers. In fact, while prepping for the GMAT, I believeed that 50/50 would result in 800 overall (several score estimators return this result) and up until a year ago I think that was probably the case. But things have changed, and continue to change pretty rapidly.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
GMAT 2: Q V0
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 46

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: End of struggle - 750 (a long post) [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2012, 09:41
Good debrief and congrats on your score

Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude.

Re: End of struggle - 750 (a long post)   [#permalink] 19 Mar 2012, 09:41