Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 09:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Engadget Report - fresh SC question

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1266

Kudos [?]: 3517 [3] , given: 185

Engadget Report - fresh SC question [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2013, 05:46
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

87% (02:12) correct 13% (01:24) wrong based on 0 sessions

Hi folks,

On popular demand, the e-GMAT question bakery has become active again. Here comes a fresh one. Try this one and post your detailed analysis. Posts with correct detailed analysis will get Kudos from us.

Engadget just reported that Nokia has launched the Lumia 1020 with 41 megapixel camera, and that it has 20 million more pixels than any other smartphone with a camera launched this year.

A. and that it has 20 million more pixels than any other smartphone with a camera
B. and it has 20 million more pixels when compared to any other smartphone’s camera
C. having 20 million more pixels than any other camera in any other smartphone
D. a camera that has 20 million more pixels than a camera in any other smartphone
E. a camera with 20 million more pixels than any other smartphone with camera

Thanks. :-)
Shraddha

Free Webinar: Sep 6, 2014 - Ace GMAT Sentence Correction: Register for this Free Webinar to learn the importance of meaning, achieve 90% accuracy and score V40+. Click here to register.

Last edited by egmat on 28 Aug 2013, 06:24, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 582 [0], given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Engadget Report - fresh SC question [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2013, 06:22
Engadget just reported that Nokia has launched the Lumia 1020 with 41 megapixel camera, and that it has 20 million more pixels than any other smartphone with a camera launched this year.

IMO D

A. and that it has 20 million more pixels than any other smartphone with a camera
WRONG.
USE OF IT is ambiguous.==>IT CAN REFER TO lumia 1020 or camera or nokia.

B. and it has 20 million more pixels when compared to any other smartphone’s camera
WRONG..
Same as A IT is ambiguous.
WHEN COMPARED TO....wrong usage.

WRONG.
HAVING can modify NOKIA...which is WRONG.

D. a camera that has 20 million more pixels than a camera in any other smartphone
CORRECT(IMO)

WRONG.
wrong comparison: camera compared to smartphone.

waiting OA.

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Engadget Report - fresh SC question [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2013, 07:17
I echo blueseas...It has to be D...
Director
Director
Schools: Harvard, Columbia, Stern, Booth, LSB,
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 371 [0], given: 241

Re: Engadget Report - fresh SC question [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2013, 07:51
Use of AND conveys the meaning that Engadget did 2 different things, but this is not the intended meaning of the sentence. In fact Engadget did only 1 thing. Thus Incorrect. I won't say that "IT" is ambiguous coz logically neither a company nor a brand name can have pixels.

Use of AND conveys the meaning that Engadget did 2 different things, but this is not the intended meaning of the sentence. In fact Engadget did only 1 thing. "Use of "WHEN" is incorrect. Such use means that Lumia has more pixels ONLY when we compare it to other smartphones. If we don't compare then it doesn't have more pixels. Thus Incorrect. I won't say that "IT" is ambiguous coz logically neither a company nor a brand name can have pixels.

Use of Comma before HAVING is incorrect because it would mean that "Having....smartphone" is modifying the entire clause rather than the camera. Moreover, there is no need to use "Any other". Thus Incorrect

CORRECT

This option is incorrect as it compare a camera to a smartphone.

If you like my Question/Explanation or the contribution, Kindly appreciate by pressing KUDOS.
Kudos always maximizes GMATCLUB worth
-Game Theory

If you have any question regarding my post, kindly pm me or else I won't be able to reply

Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator
Followers: 80

Kudos [?]: 524 [0], given: 105

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Engadget Report - fresh SC question [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2013, 08:09
Expert's post
I'd go with D as comparison is correct - Camera of Nokia to that of other smartphone.

Look forward to more 700+ from you Shradhha!

UPDATED : e-GMAT SC Resources-Consolidated || ALL RC Resources-Consolidated || ALL SC Resources-Consolidated || UPDATED : AWA compilations-109 Analysis of Argument Essays || NEW !!! GMAC's IR Prep Tool

GMAT Club guide - OG 11-12-13 || Veritas Blog || Manhattan GMAT Blog

KUDOS please, if you like the post or if it helps :-)

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT Date: 10-04-2013
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 13

Re: Engadget Report - fresh SC question [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2013, 19:42
IMO D

In option A,B "it" is ambiguous..
In option C "having" is incorrect.
Wrong comparison in option E
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 5

Re: Engadget Report - fresh SC question [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2013, 22:25
I go with D for same reasons given above.

Kudos would be appreciated -:) !

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 37

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Engadget Report - fresh SC question [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2013, 23:46
Very nice question. My answer is D for reasons stated below

A. and that it has 20 million more pixels than any other smartphone with a camera --> Two issues: Seems parallel with "Nokia has launched the Lumia 1" and hence does not modify camera. More pixel than any other smartphone is wrong comparison
B. and it has 20 million more pixels when compared to any other smartphone’s camera --> More cannot be used with "compared to".
C. having 20 million more pixels than any other camera in any other smartphone --> verb-ing modifies the preceding clause whereas we need to modify only the camera.
D. a camera that has 20 million more pixels than a camera in any other smartphone --> Correct
E. a camera with 20 million more pixels than any other smartphone with camera --> Compares camera with any other smart phone

Please give Kudos if you like the post

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 87

CAT Tests
Re: Engadget Report - fresh SC question [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2013, 04:52
IMO D for the reasons below

A. 'it' is referring to Engadget
B. 'it' is referring to Nokia
C. '-ing' modifier changes meaning
D. fine
E. wrong meaning
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 45

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Engadget Report - fresh SC question [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2013, 23:53
egmat wrote:

Hi folks,

On popular demand, the e-GMAT question bakery has become active again. Here comes a fresh one. Try this one and post your detailed analysis. Posts with correct detailed analysis will get Kudos from us.

Thanks. :-)
Shraddha

A - it- has no clear antecedent, if it was suppose to be refer to the camera the sentence make a comparison between the camera and any other smartphone.
B- it- again with no clear antecedent and lack of parallel with no "that" at the beginning. when should refer to a time phrase only.
C- having - modifier that break the sentence , it refer to the whole clause instead of a noun - camera.
D- correct .
E- comparison between camera and any other smartphone.

nice one! it's good to read something fresh,High tech cellphone, instead some biologic and boring story.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 5

Re: Engadget Report - fresh SC question [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2013, 01:59
But if you see, even a phone can have pixels, not just the camera in the phone. Resolution of phone is given in pixels. So even though I chose the correct answer, I was detained by this fact for several seconds.

Kudos would be appreciated -:) !

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 45

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Engadget Report - fresh SC question [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2013, 02:38
HarishLearner wrote:
But if you see, even a phone can have pixels, not just the camera in the phone. Resolution of phone is given in pixels. So even though I chose the
correct answer, I was detained by this fact for several seconds.

Well, you can say that I got into the writer mind, because you are comparing cameras here..Correct me e gmat if Im wrong .

Posted from my mobile device Image
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 291

Re: Engadget Report - fresh SC question [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2013, 20:04
Getting an e-gmat question right feels good. :D
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Engadget Report - fresh SC question [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2013, 20:15
"and" here suggests that both the ideas are independent. "it has 20 million...." is modifying camera, and therefore it is best conveyed using a noun modifier. therefore this is incorrect.
same as A
this construction should modify the previous clause but is modifying the previous noun. therefore this is incorrect.
noun + noun modifier is employed to modify camera, a noun in the previous clause. this is correct.
a camera is compared with another smartphone. therefore this is incorrect.
Re: Engadget Report - fresh SC question   [#permalink] 22 Nov 2013, 20:15