Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 00:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Engineering to MS Finance

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Engineering to MS Finance [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2010, 18:53
I am currently a Chemical Engineering student but I would like to get an MS Finance after I graduate. I have work experience within engineering (worked at an oil refinery for a major oil company). I know many engineers get an MBAs after graduation but from what I understand about it I'm not very interested in that route. Is it feasible to go from an engineering degree to an MS Finance at LSE, LBS, MIT, ect?

Also would it be advantageous to minor in Economics to position myself better or will it make little difference?

If it means anything I have a 3.98 as of now, have taken through Differential Equations (Plan on two stats courses and Linear Algebra) and my predicted GRE Q is 780-800 (based of offical GRE practice tests), though Verbal maybe an uphill battle.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

Re: Engineering to MS Finance [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2010, 17:42
Engineering to an MSF is pretty common, maybe even more common if you went for a MFE. You have a solid quant background and you obviously know how to handle math. I think a masters in finance would give you the solid financial understanding to spin yourself for banking or S&T.

Master in Finance HQ
http://www.msfhq.com

Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Engineering to MS Finance [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2010, 08:56
So I took the GRE today and I got:

790Q
570V

are does good enough for top MSF programs (LSE,Oxford,MIT,Princeton,ect) or should I redo it to increase verbal?

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

Re: Engineering to MS Finance [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2010, 12:41
Could you get a finance related job straight from undergrad? If you get the extracurriculars, internship in finance, and maybe minor or double major, it could be possible without the graduate school program. It depends on what area of finance you want to get into though.
Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Engineering to MS Finance [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2010, 13:29
Well my goal is to get a Financial Internship, but its seems pretty hard as my career services doesn't really get any recruits from investment banks or PE firms. I've tried sending my resume out all over the place but no one really responded, hopefully I can get one before I graduate but its unlikely.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

Re: Engineering to MS Finance [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2010, 20:37
viciouspoultry wrote:
Well my goal is to get a Financial Internship, but its seems pretty hard as my career services doesn't really get any recruits from investment banks or PE firms. I've tried sending my resume out all over the place but no one really responded, hopefully I can get one before I graduate but its unlikely.

Have you tried sifting through your alumni database? I assume you're at a non-target based on your difficulty in getting a look. Does your school have a business college and is there a separate database for internships there? I would go through your alumni database and find people that are in the field you would like to get into and network with them. If that fails, I'd also start cold calling firms; you might have to accept an unpaid internship (but only consider this if it's related to the area of finance you want). Join some investment club or finance club at your school to network and learn about the field.

If you're in college, don't you have the freedom to change your major to finance or economics? While you're in college is a great time to think about what you really want to do and switch; it's far easier. Once you graduate and have "Chemical Engineering" on your resume and a bunch of engineering internships and jobs, anyone looking at your resume will peg you as an engineer.
Intern
Intern

Re: Engineering to MS Finance [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2011, 22:28
Hello everyone ! I just took my GRE a week back and scored 1320(570 in verbal, 750 in quant).AWA score is yet to arrive. I'm not at all happy with my quant score as I used to get 800 in quant in all my mock tests.But I do not really want to repeat GRE unless very much required. I'm in my third year of Chemical Engineering at BITS Pilani and want to take up MS in Chemical engineering OR MS in Finance after this. Please tell me if I can get into some good university with my kind of score for any of the two. Also what all areas do I need to work at? My profile consists of works like an internship involving market survey of companies for a start-up, an internship with a robotics company, other management stuffs and post holdings in clubs and associations, a project on solar lights. How should I proceed now? Should i do more chemical related projects for an entry into MS in chemical engineering? or shall i focus on more finance related things for MS in finance? i mean which is more feasible for me with my score? Thanks in advance !!
Re: Engineering to MS Finance   [#permalink] 28 Mar 2011, 22:28