Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 07:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Enquiry

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.9
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Enquiry [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2012, 22:20
Hi I am from India and new to this forum and its really good to be here. I have some queries which I state below:

I got my undergraduate degree this year and will be joining a company mid July. I plan to gain experience in the company and then go for MBA abroad. I wish to know how much experience(in years) would I require for an admission to a B-School. I am interested in Finance and also wish to know how to prepare for GMAT and the score i should target for it...Thank YOU!!!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 1983

Kudos [?]: 6419 [1] , given: 3565

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Enquiry [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2012, 00:45
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
You need at least 2 years (usually the min required by various schools).
You can see averages here for the last year or two (average work experience is in months)

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 660 Q V
GPA: 3.22
WE: Corporate Finance (Consulting)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 16

Re: Enquiry [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2012, 04:24
debgmat wrote:
Hi I am from India and new to this forum and its really good to be here. I have some queries which I state below:

I got my undergraduate degree this year and will be joining a company mid July. I plan to gain experience in the company and then go for MBA abroad. I wish to know how much experience(in years) would I require for an admission to a B-School. I am interested in Finance and also wish to know how to prepare for GMAT and the score i should target for it...Thank YOU!!!

Besides the number of years of work experience, focus on the experience itself. So once you enter your company make sure to be head and shoulders above the rest of your co-workers. I'm not stating that you "step on them." I'm saying that you focus on grabbing leadership opportunities. Also, since you're from India, you have to have a stellar application: from the GMAT (I heard you ought to have at least 740, hope people could chime in on this) to GPA (3.5 and above) to work experience. I'm not stating that these are the be-all and end-all statistics.

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
- T. Roosevelt

Intern
Intern

Re: Enquiry [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2012, 09:36
Thank you very much for your advice. I'll keep that in mind...
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 895

Kudos [?]: 3792 [0], given: 148

Re: Enquiry [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2012, 20:38
Expert's post
debgmat wrote:

If you are joining an IT company, aim to get 750+ in GMAT and work very hard and smart in your job to get stellar recommendations. Also, leadership positions in IT companies take time so focus on something outside work e.g. work very seriously with an NGO or start your own set-up to work toward something you are passionate about (finance, in this case, I guess) etc. After 2-3 yrs, when you start applying, you must have some fabulous stories up your sleeve - about who you are, things you are passionate about and things you have done.

If you are joining a finance company, 720+ should be good enough. But again, try and do something outside work too.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Re: Enquiry [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2012, 21:15
Thnx for your information...
I currently enrolled in a construction and energy firm and i would like to know how many years would actively help me serving?
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 895

Kudos [?]: 3792 [0], given: 148

Re: Enquiry [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2012, 19:51
Expert's post
debgmat wrote:
Thnx for your information...
I currently enrolled in a construction and energy firm and i would like to know how many years would actively help me serving?

There is no magic number. Some people apply for their MBA at 24 yrs and others do it at 34. The point is - when do you think MBA is the natural choice for your career. The admin will have 2 important questions (and many more) for you - Why MBA? and Why at this point in your career? You should be able to convince them. So work for a while and when it makes sense to you that now you should get your MBA, apply. Also, if you are in non-finance field right now but are planning to take up finance, do something in finance on the side.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: Enquiry   [#permalink] 11 Jul 2012, 19:51