Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:57 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
VP
VP
Status:Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Own Kudos [?]: 204 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64887 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Enquiry for GMAT [#permalink]
@VeritasPrepKarishma @nehasingh1020.. Thanks for your suggestions.. I decided to continue with my job in IT but If I want to do finance after 4-5 years of experience then will I get it in US colleges because some of my friends (in US MBA) said it will be difficult but what other good options do I have after 4-5 years of IT experience and what short of certifications will be good to go with.. ??? please reply.. Thanks in advance.. :)
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
mmsk2014 wrote:
@VeritasPrepKarishma @nehasingh1020.. Thanks for your suggestions.. I decided to continue with my job in IT but If I want to do finance after 4-5 years of experience then will I get it in US colleges because some of my friends (in US MBA) said it will be difficult but what other good options do I have after 4-5 years of IT experience and what short of certifications will be good to go with.. ??? please reply.. Thanks in advance.. :)

Don't wait for 4-5 yrs for applying. Start preparing for GMAT right now. You can do it along with your job (that's how most people prepare for it). If your interest is in Finance, enroll for the CFA June level 1 exam. It will need a lot of study but it will add value to your profile. Another option is online Finance and Economics courses of top schools. If you are going to tell adcom that I want to work in the field of Finance after MBA, you need to show that you are actually interested, have the capability of doing well and can work hard. Don't wait for Introduction to Finance 101 in MBA 1st year.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
@VeritasPrepKarishma... Just one thing more I asked someone and he told me that you cannot get into top 10 colleges unless you are form IIT or you have some kind of recommendation like from CEO or some company's top admin and also told me that in US the overall cost is around 80 lakhs.. is that right?? because after knowing this I am really depressed I just wanted to get into top 10 US universities.. and what information I had was 50 lakh will be the cost and with 700+ I can get into top 10 colleges... please madam help me with this...:(.

thanks a lot for your valuable suggestions
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
mmsk2014 wrote:
@VeritasPrepKarishma... Just one thing more I asked someone and he told me that you cannot get into top 10 colleges unless you are form IIT or you have some kind of recommendation like from CEO or some company's top admin and also told me that in US the overall cost is around 80 lakhs.. is that right?? because after knowing this I am really depressed I just wanted to get into top 10 US universities.. and what information I had was 50 lakh will be the cost and with 700+ I can get into top 10 colleges... please madam help me with this...:(.

thanks a lot for your valuable suggestions

"you cannot get into top 10 colleges unless you are form IIT or you have some kind of recommendation like from CEO or some company's top admin"

This is absurd. There are no hard specifications. Of course your undergrad is important but rather than the college, what is more important is how you performed there. Also, it is a small part of the overall profile and they like to have a class with varied profiles. They don't want all IITians. Also, a reco from CEO should be taken only if you have worked extensively for the CEO directly. The reco should be from the person who actually knows the work you do - your immediate boss would be the best choice.

The overall cost is different for different schools. Check out their website for their tuition. The overall cost will obviously be higher. Then convert that to rupees. But 60 - 80 lakhs would be par for course since the $ has become stronger over the past year.

"with 700+ I can get into top 10 colleges"
This isn't correct. The top schools don't take in all 700+ applicants and don't reject all 600 ones either. Your overall app (including your GMAT score, your essays, your academic background, your interview etc) needs to be very good to get into a top 10.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Aspects like this are extremely important in your application. You should discuss it with admissions consultants to get professional advice. Please be also aware that this is just one small peace of your application and you have to also check and double check all other aspects.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi,
could you please guide me for verbal section, as my verbal section is not strong how should i go about it...
means do i need to go through grammar books like wren and martin or just reading and practicing will do the magic for me..
please help me with this.

Thanks a lot..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
the best way to prepare is a combination of the follwing:

reading books
practice questions
reading non GMAT related texts (important for reading comprehension)

Also of tremendous value:

GMAT video courses (like: https://optimus-prep.com/gmat-on-demand-course)
Private tutoring or class courses
GMAT practice tests
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
mmsk2014 wrote:
Hi,
could you please guide me for verbal section, as my verbal section is not strong how should i go about it...
means do i need to go through grammar books like wren and martin or just reading and practicing will do the magic for me..
please help me with this.

Thanks a lot..

Going through an entire Grammar book would be a waste of time. In my opinion, the best way to move forward would be to take the help of a GMAT SC prep book such as our SC book. We discuss various useful Grammar concepts in it. If you feel that you want to dive even deeper in some particular topics, then you can use a grammar book to do that. Otherwise, our SC book along with practice questions should be enough to prepare you for SC.
GMAT Club Bot