Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 04:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Entering professional tennis as a talented but shy and

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Entering professional tennis as a talented but shy and [#permalink] New post 07 May 2005, 10:27
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
[u]Entering professional tennis as a talented but shy and awkward teenager, for the past eight years Steffi Graf was [/u]the dominant force in the woman's circuit, a powerful and consistent player.

A. Entering professional tennis as a talented but shy and awkward teenager, for the past eight years Steffi Graf was

B. As talented yet shy and awkward teenager when she entered professional tennis, for the last eight years Steffi Graf has been

C. Steffi Graf entered professional tennis as a talented yet shy and awkward teenager, and was

D. For the past eight years, having entered professional tennis as a talented yet shy and awkward teenager, Steffi Graf has been

E. Having entered professional tennis as a teenager who was talented yet shy and awkward, for the past eight years Steffi Graf has been
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 May 2005, 10:44
Looks D to me....The first half of the sentence has to modify "Steffi"...
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 May 2005, 11:19
Wats wrong with (E) .... my vote to (E). Explanation will follow :-D
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: SC. Steffi Graf [#permalink] New post 07 May 2005, 11:23
anirban16 wrote:
Entering professional tennis as a talented but shy and awkward teenager, for the past eight years Steffi Graf was the dominant force in the woman's circuit, a powerful and consistent player.

D. For the past eight years, having entered professional tennis as a talented yet shy and awkward teenager, Steffi Graf has been

I agree (D) is best.

The adverb phrase "for the last eight years" tips you off that the correct verb is "has been ...." This is called present perfect progressive tense, meaning 1) some action occurs in the present 2) it still continues, and 3) that action began in the past (e.g., "my heart has been beating all day": my heart beats, it will continue to beat, and it already beat many times prior to me making this statement).

In this case:
For the past eight years Steffi has been [and continues to be] the dominant force...

Now add some information in a paranthetical phrase:

For the past eight years, (a little more info about Steffi), Steffi has been the dominant force....

Note that "For the past eight years" does not modify the subject "Steffi", it modifies the action of the sentence (predicate) "has been" ... Steffi has been (for the past eight years)...

By the way, (C) is grammatically correct, but it changes the meaning entirely by cutting the bit about the eight years, and changing the verb tense from Steffi being still dominant, to her being only dominant at some time back in history -- and ETS wouldn't let you do that. So don't be fooled by the fact that Steffi is indeed retired. This simply would've been written years ago.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 May 2005, 11:29
By the way, E is almost right....

E. Having entered professional tennis as a teenager who was talented yet shy and awkward, for the past eight years Steffi Graf has been

But I believe it loses out to (D), because the intro phrase 'Having entered professional tennis" is an adjective phrase directly modifying Steffi, and so it should preferably be followed immediately by her name. We could re-write it like this:

Having entered professional tennis as a teenager who was talented yet shy and awkward, Steffi Graf for the past eight years has been...
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 May 2005, 19:04
rthothad wrote:
Can somebody explain what is wrong with 'C'

Same question. Initially I preferred (C) because it maintains the same tense (Past) as original sentence does. But the problem with (C) is that it misses "8 year" part.

Independently, (D) should be fine.

Anirban, Is (C) option complete :roll: ?
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 May 2005, 01:42
jpv wrote:
Same question. Initially I preferred (C) because it maintains the same tense (Past) as original sentence does. But the problem with (C) is that it misses "8 year" part.

Independently, (D) should be fine.

Anirban, Is (C) option complete :roll: ?

Thanks jpv, Just realized that it is missing the 8 year part.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 May 2005, 21:50
why is it that the phrase ' for the past 8 years' in choice d is not affected by the phrase immediately following it (after the comma) which is 'having entered professional tennis as a talented yet shy and awkward teenager'.

i am a little confused because in choice e also this rule has not been followed.
What i mean to say is the the phrase after the comma should refer to the subject.

please comment

Best.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 18 May 2005, 03:00
D seems to be better, not having an additional subclause as E does
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 18 May 2005, 15:25
D might be the right choice, but C still sounds better to me.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 18 May 2005, 19:32
C sounds better but changes the meaning of the sentence. The event is still happening and so "was" is not good enough.
I go with D.

krish

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 18 May 2005, 20:03
C and E are wrong because they mention "talented YET shy and Awkward"..This changes the meaning and it means that talented person cannot be shy and awkward..Go with D.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 18 May 2005, 21:41
The reason for D to be correct is : For the past 8 years ..an adverb phrase that will modify the verb ..and clues that the verb will be in present perfect ...has been

The reason E is wrong ..start with a present participle ...which has to modify a noun / pronoun ...so shd hv started with steffi

D it is.
  [#permalink] 18 May 2005, 21:41