Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Sep 2014, 04:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Entrepreneur Application - H/S/W/C

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Entrepreneur Application - H/S/W/C [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2012, 15:48
I'm interesting in applying to Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, and Columbia. I want to develop my strategy and marketing skills so that I can use them in a C-Suite setting.

Demographic
- White (Canadian)
- Male

Academics
- Graduated with business degree from a top Canadian undergraduate business school (Queen's/Western/McGill)
- GPA: 3.75 (received a departmental prize for graduating as at the top of concentration, received leadership awards, won several national competitions)
- GMAT: 750

Professional
- Summer Investment Banking Analyst at Bulge Bracket in London, UK

- Full-time Investment Banking Analyst at Elite/Well-Known Boutique in Manhattan (fired after 1 year - I was running my apparel company (described below) at the same time as it was my passion/what I was in love with. My senior's found out and axed me. I ended up full-time doing the apparel company afterwards. I have good reviews from the IBD teams I worked with, not sure extent I need to disclose). I also received an offer for a $10bn+ hedge fund to join as an investment associate which was lost when I left my investment bank

- Founder/Chief Operating Officer of an Apparel company that received significant media attention and has earned ~$5m in revenues and has clothing in over 70 stores across Canada. Received several financing offers but turned them down. The company has a significant "philanthropy" twist and has raised a lot of $$ and gotten direct results for environmental causes. Stayed for 1 year, starting immediately out of undergrad and overlapping with my IBD stint.

- Founder/Chief Executive Officer of a Nutraceutical company that received significant media attention an has earned ~$4m in revenues and has over 25,000 customers. We have a strong philanthropy twist and have significantly helped combat child malnutrition through a partner non-profit organization. I've been here for ~2 years. I created it and left the Apparel company because I decided I wanted my own company to look over instead of being 1 of 4 founding members

- Tons of random crap during university (research assistant, teaching assistant, wealth management internships, F100 Corp Finance internships, etc.)

Extracurricular
Post graduation
- Raised over $40,000 and founded a non-profit for underprivileged minorities to educate them on how to put together job applications, interview, etc. [2yrs]
- Founded a non-profit mentoring/teaching students interested in finance/consulting across Canada, with ~200 members and ~50 mentors at professional firms [4yrs]
- Founded an education company tutoring junior and senior students for half a dozen finance/strategy courses and for IBD interviews. Made a bit over $100k

Undergrad
- Founder and President of a large school club [1 year]
- Founder and Vice-President of a large school club [1 year]
- Founder and Vice-President of a large school club [1 year]
- Literally tons of other random crap

Recommendation
Will be able to get strong reqs from CEOs of publically listed $500MM+ companies who I have worked closely with

My main concern is my blemish at my investment bank. Frankly, I was in love with being an entrepreneur and always chased that (as you can see from my track record of founding clubs and a tutoring business and etc. while younger). I guess it caught up to me as a banker! Definitely a cool story in my opinion, though.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Entrepreneur Application - H/S/W/C [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2012, 09:26
Hello!

You have a great story here, indeed! Don't be intimidated or nervous that you were laid off from your banking role, when it's clear from your profile that that wasn't where your interests lay. These situations are the ones that you can address in your essays, to highlight the obstacles/challenges/changes in your professional career path and how you've used them to continue developing. It's important to note as well that you weren't fired for incompetence, which is significantly different.

You definitely want to focus on schools that have a strong entrepreneur focus, so your choices are good, particularly Stanford and Columbia in my opinion. As you go through your applications, make sure you really understand what it is that the programs themselves are focusing on. This will enable you to really determine which are your top choices and which are second choices, but also to focus on the parts of your experience that are most in line with the programs. It's important for the schools to see what you can bring to the table that will complement their mission statement, in addition to what you hope to gain from the program.

Let us know what you think, and good luck!
Re: Entrepreneur Application - H/S/W/C   [#permalink] 10 Nov 2012, 09:26