Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 08:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Environmentalist: Snowmobiles in the park north of Milville

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 217 [1] , given: 37

Environmentalist: Snowmobiles in the park north of Milville [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2010, 22:44
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

58% (01:50) correct 42% (01:01) wrong based on 86 sessions
Environmentalist: Snowmobiles in the park north of Milville create unacceptable levels of air pollution and should be banned.

Milville Business Spokesperson: Snowmobiling brings many out-of-towners to Milville in the winter months, to the great direct financial benefit of many local residents. In addition, the money the town collects in fees for the recreational use of the park indirectly benefits all Milville residents. So, it is basic economics for us to put up with the pollution.

Which of the following, if true, could best be used by the environmentalist to counter the business spokersponerson's argument?

A. A great many cross-country skiers are now kept from visiting Milville by the noise and pollution that snowmobiles generate.
B. Not all of the people who go snowmobiling in the vicinity of Milville are from out of town.
C. Snowmobiles, because they run on two-cycle engines, emit greater amounts of hydrocarbons and particulate matters than cars do.
D. Industrial pollution in Milville has been significantly reduced in the past few years without any adverse effect on the town's economy.
E. Many Milville residents object to having to pay fees for recreational use of the park in the winter.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
A

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 0

Re: Smowmobiles in Milville [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2010, 23:37
bakfed wrote:
Environmentalist: Snowmobiles in the park north of Milville create unacceptable levels of air pollution and should be banned.

Milville Business Spokesperson: Snowmobiling brings many out-of-towners to Milville in the winter months, to the great direct financial benefit of many local residents. In addition, the money the town collects in fees for the recreational use of the park indirectly benefits all Milville residents. So, it is basic economics for us to put up with the pollution.

Which of the following, if true, could best be used by the environmentalist to counter the business spokersponerson's argument?

A. A great many cross-country skiers are now kept from visiting Milville by the noise and pollution that snowmobiles generate.
B. Not all of the people who go snowmobiling in the vicinity of Milville are from out of town.
C. Snowmobiles, because they run on two-cycle engines, emit greater amounts of hydrocarbons and particulate matters than cars do.
D. Industrial pollution in Milville has been significantly reduced in the past few years without any adverse effect on the town's economy.
E. Many Milville residents object to having to pay fees for recreational use of the park in the winter.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
A

For me the contenders were A and B.

Why not B: "Not all" of the people who go snowmobiling in the vicinity of Milville are from out of town.>> let say 10 percent people were from "outside the town" or let say 80 percent of the people were out of the town. Might only one person is coming from "out of town"...!!!!. It only make economic sense if you have large number of "out of town" guys coming to the town.

Why A: It just say that "Most" of cross country skiers do not come to Milville because of pollution>>> It directly damage the economic position due to amount of pollution...Milville is definitely missing some financial boost.

Hope it helps..
Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 37

Re: Smowmobiles in Milville [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2010, 07:30
nverma wrote:
bakfed wrote:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
A

Why not B: "Not all" of the people who go snowmobiling in the vicinity of Milville are from out of town.>> let say 10 percent people were from "outside the town" or let say 80 percent of the people were out of the town. Might only one person is coming from "out of town"...!!!!. It only make economic sense if you have large number of "out of town" guys coming to the town.

Why A: It just say that "Most" of cross country skiers do not come to Milville because of pollution>>> It directly damage the economic position due to amount of pollution...Milville is definitely missing some financial boost.

Hope it helps..

The contenders for me were A and B as well; however, I fail to see how (A) serves a better purpose. I agree that (A) is a good choice, but I can't fully understand why (B) can't be the reason either. (A) simply talks about how the skiers don't come due to pollution, but there's still additional money made with the snowmobiles. How does that reject the spokesperson's message?

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 57 [2] , given: 12

Re: Smowmobiles in Milville [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2010, 08:49
This post received
KUDOS
>> This statement specifies that the number of people who go for snowmobiling is reduced.
So it is a counter to the spokesperson's statement "basic economics for us to put up with the pollution."
=>Pollution will reduce the basic economics if people of keeping out of snowmobiling because of pollution.

>>This statement looks like a good option.But when you check the 'Not all' part, it shows though there could be less number of people from out of town, there are more number of people with in twon. It does not show the significant reduction in people who come for snowmobiling and so it will not counter the spokesperson's argument on money.

So A is the correct candidate.

+1Kudos, if this helps

Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 37

Re: Smowmobiles in Milville [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2010, 10:19
mads wrote:
>> This statement specifies that the number of people who go for snowmobiling is reduced.
So it is a counter to the spokesperson's statement "basic economics for us to put up with the pollution."
=>Pollution will reduce the basic economics if people of keeping out of snowmobiling because of pollution.

>>This statement looks like a good option.But when you check the 'Not all' part, it shows though there could be less number of people from out of town, there are more number of people with in twon. It does not show the significant reduction in people who come for snowmobiling and so it will not counter the spokesperson's argument on money.

So A is the correct candidate.

yes, this helps; thanks a lot.

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 225 [0], given: 6

Re: Smowmobiles in Milville [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2010, 11:12
A is good in the lot.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 13

Re: Smowmobiles in Milville [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2010, 17:44
I couldnt quite understand the meaning of the question 'counter the business'..

what does this counter mean? is it weaken?

thanks
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 13

Re: Smowmobiles in Milville [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2010, 21:43
nverma wrote:
bakfed wrote:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
A

Hope it helps..

is there any big difference between saying "not all of the people" and "a great many cross country skiers..." besides --- isn't cross country skiers a very specific set of people where as "out-of-towners" could be any kind of people interested in pursuing snow-mobiling .... not necessarily "cross country skiers".

in my reasoning the basic argument was that because people come from outside - it generates revenue and hence snowmobiling is good. The environmentalist says it shoudl be banned because it creates pollution. If it can be shown that pollution can be controlled and still the town can make money - something which D does - would that not be appropriate?
1 KUDOS received
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 106 [1] , given: 2

Re: Smowmobiles in Milville [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2010, 00:16
This post received
KUDOS
[quote2gmatjp]what does this counter mean? is it weaken?[/quote2]

Essentially, yes. "Counter" = "go against" = "weaken".

We need a choice that counters the business spokesperson's rebuttal (that it is "basic economics to put up with the pollution".)

Choice A tells us that the town is losing money because of the snowmobiler's pollution. (Reduced visitors = lost money). So, if the town is losing money because of the pollution, this attacks the business spokesperson's claim that putting up with the pollution is economical. Thus, choice A is correct.

[quote2dwivedys]is there any big difference between saying "not all of the people" and "a great many cross country skiers..."[/quote2]

There is a difference between "a great many" and "not all". "a great many" implies an appreciable and significant quantity. But with "not all", a speaker is conveying something else--trying to draw attention away from that quality. If I say "a great many Torontonians are nice", clearly my intention is to say something good about Torontonians. Now, if I say "not all Torontonians are nice", clearly my intention is different. In the case of choice B, "not all" can mean as few as "one", or up to 99%. If it was just one, there is little impact on the argument while if it is 99%, there is a much bigger impact on the argument. Because we don't know which, we can't evaluate what impact choice B has on the argument and, therefore, cannot conclude that choice B weakens.

Choice D discusses "industrial pollution" which is, likely, different from air pollution due to snowmobiles. At any rate, choice D discusses reducing pollution. But to counter the business spokesperson's claim, we needed a choice that said that pollution (i.e., NOT reducing pollution) isn't economical.

[quote2dwivedys]isn't cross country skiers a very specific set of people[/quote2]

The stimulus tells us it's the kind of town in which "snowmobiling" is a big activity in the winter. The spokesperson discusses money collected from "recreational use of the park". It is reasonable to infer that recreational winter activities at the park, if they include snowmobiling, can also include "cross-country skiing".

@dwivedys: essentially, I think you converted "counter spokesperson's claim" to "strengthen first speaker's claim". Can't quite do that here because the businessperson is responding to the first speaker by making a claim of his own--a claim, which, according to the instructions in the question stem, we have to directly counter using one of the answer choices...always follow the instructions in the question explicitly!

Kaplan Teacher in Toronto
http://www.kaptest.com/GMAT

Prepare with Kaplan and save $150 on a course!

Kaplan Reviews

VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 13

Re: Smowmobiles in Milville [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2010, 02:34
Dear Testluv - I think you've unravelled the anatomy of my confusion pretty brilliantly! There were just too many things at play here - not the least of which is the claim of many people (which of course I read after I had attempted the problem) that this is an easy question which was kind of bewildering. Anyway. Things at play were - cross country skiers - pollution - out-of-towners - economics. As you have de-constructed - the argument is basically about what the impact on revenue is from the activities indigenous to Milville - activities that include winter sports such as snow mobiling, skiing and recreational use of parks. I try to follow exactly what the question says - of course I follow it incorrectly is what I am learning now.
I hastily eliminated A because it talked about cross country skiers
I rejected B because Not all - exactly as you explained (and I knew the basic semantics around it) could mean anything.
C is essentially buttressing the environmentalists claim but adding nothing new
E - is concerned with the residents of milville where as business guy is talking about revenues from out of towners.

So while I was on the right track in terms of overall analysis - I was too hasty (and was perhaps lacking an overall picture) in excluding A because for a moment I did not reckon that cross country skiers belong to the same set of out-of-towners who ostensibly bring the revenue (economics) that the Business guy is talking about.

Well - TestLuv - once again - hats off, kudos and a big thank you for being so patient and generous in your explanations.

Regards

EDIT: In so many instances in the past - I have come across choices that are eliminated on the very grounds that I eliminated A on - passage is talking about X but the choice builds in a small difference as a trap. So here I felt cross country skiers - which I took to be distinct from - "sundry out-of-towners" - was actually a trap. Well!! Of course D talks about industrial pollution - but I got misled by the fact that it was still pollution. Essentially D does not address the issue of Economics and had I analyzed the structure of the argument before cracking the choices I would have kept this point in mind and would have eliminated D straight off the bat. Then perhaps I could have chosen as the best among the remaining choices because I had no difficulty removing the other ones. I was essentially between A and D. Anyway...enough said...
Director
Director
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 252 [0], given: 32

Re: Environmentalist: Snowmobiles in the park north of Milville [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2011, 04:36
Milville Business Spokesperson argued Snowmobiles generated income for Milville. Environmentalist defeated by mentioning that cross-country skiers are avoiding Milville for the noise that Snowmobiles are creating . So Resident of Milville are losing a gain.
Ans. A

I am student of everyone-baten
Collections:-
PSof OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ps-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110005.html
DS of OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ds-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110004.html
100 GMAT PREP Quantitative collection http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-problem-collections-114358.html
Collections of work/rate problems with solutions http://gmatclub.com/forum/collections-of-work-rate-problem-with-solutions-118919.html
Mixture problems in a file with best solutions: http://gmatclub.com/forum/mixture-problems-with-best-and-easy-solutions-all-together-124644.html

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 6

Re: Environmentalist: Snowmobiles in the park north of Milville [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2011, 06:16
A

Argument has to be made to support
Has to consider economy viability
A makes sense as it does provide alternative route
BCE has no value to counter argument
D provides a point but cannot be used to counter argument against use of snowmobile
Current Student
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 6

Re: Environmentalist: Snowmobiles in the park north of Milville [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2012, 21:52
IMO A........

Easy one...... 8-)
Re: Environmentalist: Snowmobiles in the park north of Milville   [#permalink] 03 Apr 2012, 21:52