Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 18:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Environmentalist: The commissioner of the Fish and Game

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Environmentalist: The commissioner of the Fish and Game [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2009, 12:17
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

68% (02:18) correct 32% (01:34) wrong based on 410 sessions
Environmentalist: The commissioner of the Fish and Game Authority would have the public believe that increases
in the number of marine fish caught demonstrate that this resource is no longer endangered. This is a specious
argument, as unsound as it would be to assert that the ever-increasing rate at which rain forests are being cut
down demonstrates a lack of danger to that resource. The real cause of the increased fish-catch is a greater
efficiency in using technologies that deplete resources.
The environmentalist's statements, if true, best support which of the following as a conclusion?
(A) The use of technology is the reason for the increasing encroachment of people on nature.
(8) It is possible to determine how many fish are in the sea in some way other than by catching fish.
(C) The proportion of marine fish that are caught is as high as the proportion of rain forest trees that are cut
down each year.
(D) Modern technologies waste resources by catching inedible fish.
(E) Marine fish continue to be an endangered resource.

Again not satisfied with the explanation from OG please can some one try?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [2] , given: 0

Re: Environmentalist: [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2009, 15:41
This post received
KUDOS
Looking at the paragraph as a whole, the main focus is more on marine fish then anything else. It says that "The commissioner...would have the public believe that increases in the number of marine fish caught demonstrate that this resource is no longer endangered." Already, this is an indication that the marine fish may be endangered. The environmentalist uses rainforests as an example to get this point across. He says that the rainforest is being cut down at an increasing rate, but that doesn't mean that it is not in danger. In parallel to marine fish, the environmentalist is trying to say that just because marine fish are being caught in increasing numbers does not mean that it is not in danger. Lastly, an alternate cause for the high number of fish caught is given---there are a lot of marine fish caught, not because they are plenty in number (not endangered), but because technology has become more efficient in catching them.

(A) At a first quick glance, some people might keep it, but it is very weak since the focus is on marine fish and the question of being endangered.

(B) This is out of scope.

(C) There is nothing to support whether the two proportions are the same or not. This is not the main point of the paragraph. You'd have to ask yourself: Is this paragraph about how technology wastes resources by catching fish people can't eat? Definitely not.

(D) This is out of scope.

(E) Correct. I think this is exactly what the paragraph is saying.

A conclusion should support every sentence in the paragraph and (E) does that.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

Re: Environmentalist: [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2009, 18:46
Answer is E

A kudos would greatly help :)

Tuhin

Intern
Intern
Schools: Any offering one year MBA
WE 1: Information Tech
WE 2: Event Consultant for FIFA addi events and WC

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 14

Re: Environmentalist: [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2009, 22:45
One more E

K 4 KUDOS

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Environmentalist: [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2009, 01:33
I am still not finding it convincing. Environmentalist counter acts stating that marine fish are in danger of extintion then how come E can be the answer?

Whatever explanation you have provided that also goes in sync with my thought process but still i am not convinced for E can you please explain me in different way.
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg(Evening),Booth (Evening)
WE 1: 5 Years
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 98 [2] , given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Environmentalist: [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2009, 09:49
This post received
KUDOS
Fact1 (commissioner)
increases in the number of marine fish caught demonstrate that this resource is no longer endangered.
Fact2 (Environmentalist counters Fact1 with an analogy) This is a specious
argument, as unsound as it would be to assert that the ever-increasing rate at which rain forests are being cut down demonstrates a lack of danger to that resource.
Fact 3 (Environmentalist ) The real cause of the increased fish-catch is a greater efficiency in using technologies that deplete resources.

In Fact 3 the author provides a alternate theory to the increased fish-catch, hence he argues against the the commissioner's claim that the fish are not endangered.

Question - The environmentalist's statements, if true, best support which of the following as a conclusion? Fact1 is wrong Fact 2 & 3 is right, with this the conclusion given in choice E can safely be drawn.

Rock On

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Environmentalist: [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2009, 11:13
Sorry my mistake...i get it now...
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 51

GMAT Tests User
Re: Environmentalist: [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2011, 08:17
another sub-400 level question with answer staring in your face

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V32

Kudos [?]: 15 [2] , given: 4

Re: Environmentalist: The commissioner of the Fish and Game [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2012, 01:55
This post received
KUDOS
Question Stem
The environmentalist's statements, if true, best support which of the following as a conclusion?
Inference Question - So the answer MUST BE TRUE.

Argument
Environmentalist: The commissioner of the Fish and Game Authority would have the public believe that increases in the number of marine fish caught demonstrate that this resource is no longer endangered. This is a specious argument, as unsound as it would be to assert that the ever-increasing rate at which rain forests are being cut down demonstrates a lack of danger to that resource. The real cause of the increased fish-catch is a greater efficiency in using technologies that deplete resources.

Pre-thinking
Marine Fish is endangered

Answer Choices

(A) The use of technology is the reason for the increasing encroachment of people on nature.
INCORRECT ANSWER - Fish and Forests is not equal to nature. There are many other things that are a part of nature. So we can make this generalization

(B) It is possible to determine how many fish are in the sea in some way other than by catching fish.
INCORRECT ANSWER - Nothing in the passage suggests that there is a method to determine the fish in the sea.

(C) The proportion of marine fish that are caught is as high as the proportion of rain forest trees that are cut
down each year.
INCORRECT ANSWER - The comparison between proportion of fish and rain forest trees is irrelevant. Nothing in the passage suggest this.

(D) Modern technologies waste resources by catching inedible fish.
INCORRECT ANSWER - Inedible Fish - This is outside the scope of the argument

(E) Marine fish continue to be an endangered resource.
CORRECT ANSWER - "specious argument" tells us that commissioner is not right and that marine fish still continue to be an endangered resource.

Regards,
gmatsuperstar

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 33

Re: Environmentalist: The commissioner of the Fish and Game [#permalink] New post 15 May 2013, 09:34
I am one of those who was confused between B&E and incorrectly chose B. I now realize B is perhaps more of an assumption rather than a conclusion. Option E follows from the stimuli presented.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 25

Re: Environmentalist: The commissioner of the Fish and Game [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2013, 08:46
The Environ. gives all the reasons and concludes that 'The commissioners argument about the resources being safe and large in number is 'specious' or in other words...the marine fishes are endangered.

E is the right answer.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35
GPA: 3.81
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 12

Re: Environmentalist: The commissioner of the Fish and Game [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2013, 06:26
Hi Guys,

Sorry to bring this thread alive again. But I was re-doing the CR questions from Og-12 and I got to this question.
While I know the answer E is correct for its definite reasons, I was kinda stuck with A here and was thinking of a definite way to rule it out. I see that A talks about: the use of technology being "the" reason of increasing encroachment of people on nature. I think A goes a little far ahead with this proposition. Also Environmentalists' main idea was the marine fishes and not the encroachment of nature.

Just wanted to bring this up and see what are the different reasons to rule out A.

Citius, Altius, Fortius

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 65

Re: Environmentalist: The commissioner of the Fish and Game [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2014, 21:01
vabhs192003 wrote:
Hi Guys,

Sorry to bring this thread alive again. But I was re-doing the CR questions from Og-12 and I got to this question.
While I know the answer E is correct for its definite reasons, I was kinda stuck with A here and was thinking of a definite way to rule it out. I see that A talks about: the use of technology being "the" reason of increasing encroachment of people on nature. I think A goes a little far ahead with this proposition. Also Environmentalists' main idea was the marine fishes and not the encroachment of nature.

Just wanted to bring this up and see what are the different reasons to rule out A.

I agree with your reasoning ... since encroachment is totally different concern .. he is actually drawing a relation between the deletion of the fish resource and the rain forest ... here the author is not pointing to the process they follow such as encroachment, using net etc ...
Re: Environmentalist: The commissioner of the Fish and Game   [#permalink] 16 Jun 2014, 21:01