Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 14:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Environmentalist: The increasing cases of cancer amoung our

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Environmentalist: The increasing cases of cancer amoung our [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2004, 20:01
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Environmentalist: The increasing cases of cancer amoung our citizens is the result of hazardous material produced at your plant.

Company Spokespoerson: Our statistics show that rtaes of cancer are high throughout the region in which the plant is situated because local wells that supply drinking water are polluted, not because of the plant

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the spokeperson's claims ?

A -- The statistics do not differentiate between types of cancer
B -- Nearby communities have not changed the sources of their drinking water
C -- Cancer-causing chemicals used at the plant are discharged into a nearby river and find their way into local produces
D -- The plant both uses and produces chemicals that have been shown to cause cancer
E -- Some of the pollutants cited by the board as contaminating the local wells have been present in the wells for decades
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2004, 21:31
C it is.

A: Not relevant
B: Out of scope
D: does not show how company's chemicals relate to cancer
E: doesn't help anything

C: fills the gap how company's chemicals cause the cancer since they are in the source of drinking water.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2004, 22:05
OA is B

even i didnt understand
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2004, 23:29
taklu,
where did you get this one from? The OA is wrong.
Correct answer has to be C.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2004, 11:58
My choice was 'E'.
'C' - I think is out of scope because the spokesperson's statement talks about local wells that supply drinking water and not about local produce.
'B' says the source of drinking water has not changed so it actually strengthens the spokesperson's statement because according to them the water is polluted and if the citizens are still using this water they are bound to be affected.
'E' on the other hand says that the pollutants were always present in the water, so if the citizens were always using this water, it could not account for the increasing cases of cancer.

I am not sure whether my analysis is right or wrong - any thoughts???
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2004, 23:24
If I am not wrong than this CR is from Kaplan800 and even i was also not able to understand it. Because I did this CR before joining this forum I completely forgot to post about it. But yes this CR is very confusing.

Saurabh Malpani
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2004, 12:05
This one's tricky.
I didn't pick C for the following reason: we are asked to weaken the spokesperson's claim which is that "the cancer causing chemicals are in the water" - He does not claim that the plant does or does not produce them.

C, I believe, acually strengthens the spokesperson's claim that indeed water does have the cancer causing chemicals.

D (I picked this one first - but I think this is wrong) - since it doesn't say anything about water carrying the chemicals.

B is the only one that talks about neighbours not changing their water source. I would have picked this, if the environmentalist clearly stated that there is no cancer to the neighbours. I guess this must be implied by "citizens"
CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 670 [0], given: 781

[#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2004, 05:40
Please avoid crack gmat materials.

If you are still at the learning stage in verbal, please dont touch anything other than Official Guide or the LSAT Superprep. You also have several retired ETS paper tests available on the GMAC website.

After you have done that, you still have hundreds of CR's available from the other disclosed LSAT's.

Practising the right strategies with poor quality problems will lead us nowhere.

Praetorian
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2004, 19:17
Thnx for the suggestion ..

I have stopped using crack gmat... was trying to find a review before i bought it but didnt manage to find a negative review on it

Simple Living .. High Thinking

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2004, 23:40
C is the asnwer

Explanation - Company spokesperson is contesting that local wells have polluted water which result in cancer....
it is being weakened since chemicals used in company is discharged into river which finds it ways into local produces..so concluding that drinking water is polluted by chemicals discharged by company.
  [#permalink] 27 Nov 2004, 23:40