Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 10:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Environmentalist: The use of snowmobiles in the vast park

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2007, 00:00
I think (E) is most reliable.

Environmetalist clearly "disagree" with the idea that Spokeperson is claiming.

In Environmetalist's thought, there cannot be any financial benefits local residents could enjoy because no skiers would visit the park due to noisy and pollute making snowmobiling.

Thus, the effect that the spokeperson presents will not benefit anyone.
(His or her analysis might be misled. Otherwise a liar.)
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Tough one : Milville [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2010, 12:13
B
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 6

Re: CR: Tough one : Milville [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2010, 08:34
E.

the business person puts forth an argument that financial reasons should be enough to keep snow mobile and hence put up with pollution. Snow mobiling attracts lots of people from outside of the town and hence benefits it financially.
The environmentalist denies this by saying that the benefit the business person is proclaiming is lost because now skiiing people do not come to the town. Hence the financial benefit associated with snow mobile is lost
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 58

Re: CR: Tough one : Milville [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2010, 09:21
duttsit wrote:
Environmentalist:

The use of snowmobiles in the vast park north of Milville creates unacceptable levels of air pollution and should be banned.

Milville business spokesperson:

Snowmobiling brings many out-of-towners to Milville in winter months, to the great financial benefit of many local residents. So, economics dictate that we put up with the pollution.

Environmentalist:I disagree: A great many cross-country skiers are now kept from visiting Milville by the noise and pollution that snowmobiles generate.

Environmentalist responds to the business spokesperson by doing which of the following?

A. Challenging an assumption that certain desirable outcome can derive from only one set of circumstances

B. Challenging an assumption that certain desirable outcome is outweighed by negative aspects associated with producing that outcome

C. Maintaining that the benefit that the spokesperson desires could be achieved in greater degree by a different means

D. Claiming that the spokesperson is deliberately misrepresenting the environmentalistÂ

B for me.

Environmentalist:I disagree: A great many cross-country skiers are now kept from visiting Milville by the noise and pollution that snowmobiles generate.

The environmentalists are basically saying that they do not agree that economics should dictate having the snowmobiles (challenging the assumption) and because of this cross-country skiers are now kept from visiting Milville. (the financial benefits are outweighed because country skiers are not visiting)

B. Challenging an assumption that certain desirable outcome is outweighed by negative aspects associated with producing that outcome

I'm trying to not just answer the problem but to explain how I came up with my answer. If I am incorrect or you have a better method please PM me your thoughts. Thanks!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Tough one : Milville [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2010, 11:57
I will go with B
Intern
Intern

Re: CR: Tough one : Milville [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2010, 03:46
my option is A
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V31
GPA: 3
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Tough one : Milville [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2011, 05:03
I picked B.

petrifiedbutstanding

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V31
GPA: 3
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Tough one : Milville [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2011, 05:03
How do we find out which the right answer is?

petrifiedbutstanding

Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton,MIT, Tepper, Kelly,
WE 1: 7 years- Service Managament, poject Management, Business Consultant- Retail

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 24

Reviews Badge
Re: Environmentalist: The use of snowmobiles in the vast park [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2011, 05:53
E
Intern
Intern

Re: Environmentalist: The use of snowmobiles in the vast park [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2011, 06:53
Well saying . Although my vote is going to ward Option E.
"Denying that an effect that the spokesperson presents as having benefited a certain group of people actually benefited those people".

cheap koozies

Last edited by bluee on 10 Dec 2011, 06:45, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Environmentalist: The use of snowmobiles in the vast park [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2011, 03:12
Env--- the thing is causing too much polution.
person --- But its generating money
Env -- no its keeping many people to visit, hence decreasing money

+1 for B "Challenging an assumption that certain desirable outcome is outweighed by negative aspects associated with producing that outcome"

because env. is challenging the spoke person saying that its keeping away the cross country tourists(source to money) and pointing out the negative impact- the pollution.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Environmentalist: The use of snowmobiles in the vast park [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2011, 01:24
easy B in 01:25

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: Environmentalist: The use of snowmobiles in the vast park [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2011, 07:40
I went with A. Can somebody explain why it's not A?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 12

Re: Environmentalist: The use of snowmobiles in the vast park [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2011, 16:10
I was between A, B and C. lol
No real explanation as of yet.
Director
Director
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.86
WE: Accounting (Commercial Banking)

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Environmentalist: The use of snowmobiles in the vast park [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2011, 16:47
I too voted for A

But can anyone please explain how they got B? because i see many people marking B

Thanks in advance

+1 Kudos for the good explanation

+1 Kudos If found helpful..

Manager
Manager
WE 1: Information Technology(Retail)

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 29

Re: Environmentalist: The use of snowmobiles in the vast park [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2012, 23:16
IMO B,

However not 100% sure as i am confused between B & C.
Can someone help explain??
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.65

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 52

Re: Environmentalist: The use of snowmobiles in the vast park [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2012, 11:27
duttsit wrote:
Environmentalist: The use of snowmobiles in the vast park north of Milville creates unacceptable levels of air pollution and should be banned.

Milville business spokesperson: Snowmobiling brings many out-of-towners to Milville in winter months, to the great financial benefit of many local residents. So, economics dictate that we put up with the pollution.

Environmentalist: I disagree: A great many cross-country skiers are now kept from visiting Milville by the noise and pollution that snowmobiles generate.

Environmentalist responds to the business spokesperson by doing which of the following?

A) Challenging an assumption that certain desirable outcome can derive from only one set of circumstances.
B) Challenging an assumption that certain desirable outcome is outweighed by negative aspects associated with producing that outcome.
C) Maintaining that the benefit that the spokesperson desires could be achieved in greater degree by a different means.
D) Claiming that the spokesperson is deliberately misrepresenting the environmentalist’s position in order to be better able to attack it.
E) Denying that an effect that the spokesperson presents as having benefited a certain group of people actually benefited those people.

:(

I was confused between E and B,,,and fell in to the trap of E,,,
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
Schools: Mays '16
GMAT 1: 570 Q47 V21
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V33
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 35

Re: Environmentalist: The use of snowmobiles in the vast park [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 01:18
IMO B...very nice question...;-)

Posted from my mobile device Image

Don't give up on yourself ever. Period.
Beat it, no one wants to be defeated (My journey from 570 to 690) : beat-it-no-one-wants-to-be-defeated-journey-570-to-149968.html

Intern
Intern
Schools: Bocconi '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42
GPA: 3.87

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Re: Environmentalist: The use of snowmobiles in the vast park [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 04:13
Babzsn84 wrote:
IMO B,

However not 100% sure as i am confused between B & C.
Can someone help explain??

Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum, first of all thanks for all the great material you guys post! Regarding this question, I answered B, here's my explanation:

Quote:
Environmentalist: The use of snowmobiles in the vast park north of Milville creates unacceptable levels of air pollution and should be banned.

Milville business spokesperson: Snowmobiling brings many out-of-towners to Milville in winter months, to the great financial benefit of many local residents. So, economics dictate that we put up with the pollution.

Environmentalist: I disagree: A great many cross-country skiers are now kept from visiting Milville by the noise and pollution that snowmobiles generate.

(B) Challenging an assumption that certain desirable outcome is outweighed by negative aspects associated with producing that outcome

The thing I believe is confusing is what desirable outcome and negative aspect the answer is referring to.

Milville business spokesperson: Snowmobiling brings many out-of-towners to Milville in winter months, to the great financial benefit of many local residents. So, economics dictate that we put up with the pollution. -- Assumption: If we ban snowmobiling, the positive effects on pollution (desirable outcome) will be outweighed by the reduction in economic benefits (negative aspect associated with producing that outcome), as less tourists will come.

Therefore, the environmentalist challenge this assumption.

Other explanations mentioned instead as desirable outcome the tourists, and as negative aspect pollution, which I believe it is not what the answer refers to.

I have my GMAT in 9 days :D wish me luck!
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 11-18-2012

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 23

Re: Environmentalist: The use of snowmobiles in the vast park [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 07:55
Although i took A as an answer
But after re-reading 'B' seems to be right.
Below is my explanation for 'B'

Challenging an assumption(pollution can be outweighed for economic benefits) that certain desirable outcome(economic benefits) is outweighed by negative aspects(pollution) associated with producing that outcome

Thriving for CHANGE

Re: Environmentalist: The use of snowmobiles in the vast park   [#permalink] 11 Dec 2012, 07:55