Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 08:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Epic fail or meager pass? 670 (Q42, V40)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 670 Q42 V40
GPA: 2.94
WE: Consulting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 8

Epic fail or meager pass? 670 (Q42, V40) [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2012, 06:22
This post received
KUDOS
So I finished with my GMAT today. I didn't spend much time wondering how I was doing during the exam, but the questions seemed to indicate a better score. I got some tough combinatronics and geometry in Quant. Even though the maths was easier than MGMAT math, and I thought I did much better, I ended up scoring exactly what I was scoring in the MGMAT cats.

My quant score in GMAT Prep was better, in fact my Verbal score in GMATPREP was much better (V41, V44) so the V40 here is a dissapointment. Specially with the find the flaw, Except and tough RCs thrown in. Of course the power outage five minutes before my exam did not help. I had to wait an hour for power to be restored and started one hour later than my appointment time.

My essay went ok, IMO not as as good as my prac cat essays. IR is always a gamble, I can never predict my score.

So what do you guys think? i don't think I have the energy or the time to take it again.

I have 1.5 year work (2 by the time I plan to start MBA) in consulting. My undergraduate GPA is 2.94 from a dual degree program in Malaysia, got a UK second-lower class honors degree as part of the package, from Oxford Brookes University. I am targetting Schulich, Rotman, Degroote Co-op, Wilfrid Laurier Co-op.

What do you guys think? Did I lose any chance of admission and/or scholarships? (FOr expensive schools like Rotman, even if I'm admitted, I can't afford the tuition so I was counting on the scholarship).

Damn, three months of my life down the drain.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: ISB '15
GPA: 3.49
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 73 [1] , given: 41

Re: Epic fail or meager pass? 670 (Q42, V40) [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2012, 07:59
This post received
KUDOS
Hei echelon,

Definitely Its a pass but not meager !

You have only 1.5 yrs of experience, so you have few more months or years to gain more WE ! It means you have more time to retake GMAT. Yet another point that goes in your favor is your high verbal score ! V40 is just aint a joke and in fact there are prep companies out there that claim, their in depth coverage and higher level treatment of verbal topics can push one's verbal score to 40 (Of course, Its so true that they have quite a comprehensive verbal coverage and awesome verbal strategies with proven success). So, If you are re-taking, all you need to do is focus on Quant more and recap your verbal strategies. !

Given you are at Q42, Identify the topics and subtopics you were weak at and brush up those concepts. Once you are up to Q 46-48, Start using gmat club Math tests that will definitely pep up your quant score to 49+

Could you please shed some light on what materials & strategies you relied on for verbal and quant sections ! I am more interested to hear on how you prepared for Verbal.

+1 Kudos for your Verbal Score.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 670 Q42 V40
GPA: 2.94
WE: Consulting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 8

Re: Epic fail or meager pass? 670 (Q42, V40) [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2012, 08:46
Thanks for the post igloo. I used the complete MGMAT book set (5th ed) as well as OG 13 and the OG Quant book. Just went through the whole course once. Verbal has always been a strong point for me, I still had to brush up on my SC as a non-native english speaker. After the first month or so, I had improved enough in SC and was scoring with a 90+ percent accuracy rate for SC. CR was always a strong point, the only thing left now was RC. RC was where most of my mistakes lay, I ended up downloading RC99 for practice but it proved useless, the passages in actual GMAt (as well as the questions) were a lot harder.

As for WE, for personal reasons, I refuse to delay my MBA past the sep 2013 mark. I need a change, and I needed it months ago. Might not be a good reason, but I'd always planned on doing MBA eventually, and now the timing just seemed right. All the programs I'm applying to are ok with 2 year work experience and my ECs as well as reccomendations are strong. I was hoping for a better gmat score but this will have to do, will start my applications soon, hope things turn out ok.

I recently had a one-on-one with a member of the Rotman admissions board and ran my then current GMATprep score past him. He said a 690 was a solid score, and he seemed ok with the verbal quant split. Not sure what they will make of the 670.
Re: Epic fail or meager pass? 670 (Q42, V40)   [#permalink] 26 Oct 2012, 08:46