Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 11 Jul 2014, 12:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Erika came home from the home improvement store with too few

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Mar 2013
Posts: 9
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 7

GMAT ToolKit User
Erika came home from the home improvement store with too few [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2013, 22:53
1
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  35% (medium)

Question Stats:

37% (01:47) correct 62% (00:32) wrong based on 95 sessions
Erika came home from the home improvement store with too few stones for the patio and too much brick for the flower beds.

1. few stones for the patio and too much brick
2. few stone for the patio and too much brick
3. few stones for the patio and too many brick
4. little stones for the patio and too many brick
5. few stones for the patio and too much bricks
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
avatar
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 2266
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 250

Kudos [?]: 1376 [1] , given: 245

Re: Erika came home from the home improvement store [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2013, 09:51
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
In this figurative speech of writing, brick stands for the brick work in its entirety and not the individually countable bricks. In that sense, we can take brick to be singular and therefore too much brick is acceptable, although slightly odd to say. However stones are countable nouns and the appropriate adjective for stones is ‘few’. Now case by case,

1. Few stones for the patio and too much brick - few stones and too much brick are good enough
2. Few stone for the patio and too much brick --- few stone is wrong

3. Few stones for the patio and too many brick - --- too many brick is wrong

4. Little stones for the patio and too many brick ---- too many brick are wrong

5. few stones for the patio and too much bricks ---- too much bricks is wrong

_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 15 Jun 2012
Posts: 992
Location: United States
Followers: 107

Kudos [?]: 1066 [1] , given: 118

Re: Erika came home from the home improvement store [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2013, 22:30
1
This post received
KUDOS
sbhghosh80 wrote:
Erika came home from the home improvement store with too few stones for the patio and too much brick for the flower beds.

1. few stones for the patio and too much brick
2. few stone for the patio and too much brick
3. few stones for the patio and too many brick
4. little stones for the patio and too many brick
5. few stones for the patio and too much bricks


Hey guys. I think we could use grammar to eliminate incorrect answers.

If we use "many", we have to use plural noun after it >>>> (3) & (4) are out, because of "many brick"
If we use "few", we have to use plural noun after it also >>>> (2) is out, because of "few stone"
If we use "much", we have to use singular noun >>> (5) is out, because of "much bricks"

Probably I don't know brick and stone, which one is countable or uncountable, but by using rules of "many", "much", "few", I can pick the right one much easier (just my own opinion).

Hope it helps.
_________________

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Dec 2011
Posts: 453
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 135 [1] , given: 70

Re: Erika came home from the home improvement store with too few [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2013, 21:10
1
This post received
KUDOS
rakeshd347 wrote:
doe007 wrote:
Option C says "many brick" which makes the option incorrect. It would have been correct if it were "many bricks".

You are right to says that countable "brick" would make more sense in this case. But option B,C,D,E are wrong grammatically and option A is the only option which does NOT have any grammatical mistake.

Rule for GMAT SC: Correctness > Clarity > Concision

There are plenty discussions and analysis in this thread to show correctness/incorrectness of each option.

OA is option A and that is the correct one.

Information to help you: In GMAT, only proper utilization of time is to understand why an OA is correct and why other options are wrong. Only this strategy can help in concurring GMAT. (We need to follow their rules as we are playing in their field.)


So you think the bricks is uncountable…..Can you please explain how you considered bricks as uncountable……I went to the market and bought 10 bricks……why can't you count bricks…..Bricks is uncountable when you say…..House is built of bricks….here bricks are uncountable.


I never said "bricks is uncountable". I said "bricks can be countable as well as uncountable". I said "correctness prevails clarity". I said "option A does not have any grammatical mistake and all other options have grammatical mistakes". If you think otherwise, please explain where exactly is the "grammatical" mistake in option A and how do you consider any of the other options to be "grammatically" correct. If you cannot show any grammatical mistake in option A and if you cannot show any other flawless option, there is no point in stretching this discussion as this might be confusing and useless for other members.

You need to read the earlier posts in the spirit of understanding (without being defensive) and you will get the answer on why an OA is an OA.

Remember, the question on whether brick should be used as countable or uncountable here is nothing but clarity issue -- it has nothing to do with grammar.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 23 Mar 2011
Posts: 474
Location: India
GPA: 2.5
WE: Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 59

GMAT Tests User
Re: Erika came home from the home improvement store [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2013, 11:16
daagh wrote:
In this figurative speech of writing, brick stands for the brick work in its entirety and not the individually countable bricks. In that sense, we can take brick to be singular and therefore too much brick is acceptable, although slightly odd to say. However stones are countable nouns and the appropriate adjective for stones is ‘few’. Now case by case,

1. Few stones for the patio and too much brick - few stones and too much brick are good enough
2. Few stone for the patio and too much brick --- few stone is wrong

3. Few stones for the patio and too many brick - --- too many brick is wrong

4. Little stones for the patio and too many brick ---- too many brick are wrong

5. few stones for the patio and too much bricks ---- too much bricks is wrong



Daagh, given the answer choices, A is best. with your assumptions. But even if it is brick work is a singular unit, it is still countable right? then why do we use "much"?
_________________

"When the going gets tough, the tough gets going!"

Bring ON SOME KUDOS MATES+++



-----------------------------
Quant Notes consolidated: consolodited-quant-guides-of-forum-most-helpful-in-preps-151067.html#p1217652

My GMAT journey begins: my-gmat-journey-begins-122251.html

All about Richard Ivey: all-about-richard-ivey-148594.html#p1190518

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 Sep 2010
Posts: 448
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 17

Premium Member
Re: Erika came home from the home improvement store [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2013, 11:23
Quote:
But even if it is brick work is a singular unit, it is still countable right?


no it wont be !! "brick" is not countable .-----> hence too much brick is perfect
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Nov 2012
Posts: 48
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: Erika came home from the home improvement store [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2013, 14:02
stones are countable therefore use few
brick is not countable therefore use much

Stone is NOT countable therefore use much
Bricks ARE countable therefore use few
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Dec 2011
Posts: 453
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 135 [0], given: 70

Re: Erika came home from the home improvement store [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2013, 03:58
At first glance, all options seem to be incorrect. But after looking through these, option 1 seems best of all.

1. Brick can be countable or non-countable. Keep it.
2. "few stone" is incorrect. It should be "few stones".
3. "many brick" is incorrect. It should be "many bricks" or "much brick".
4. "little stones" and "many brick" are incorrect. Those should be "few stones" or "little stone" and "many bricks" or "much brick".
5. "much bricks" is incorrect. It should be "many bricks" or "much brick".
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Looking to improve
Joined: 15 Jan 2013
Posts: 177
GMAT 1: 530 Q43 V20
GMAT 2: 560 Q42 V25
GMAT 3: 650 Q48 V31
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 65

Re: Erika came home from the home improvement store [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2013, 22:39
A better approach to identify whether something is countable/non-countable is do the following internally before selecting an answer

1 stones, 2 stones, 3 stones... make sense then countable - fewer

1 brick, 2 brick,... doesn't make sense then non-countable - much

//kudos please, if the above explanation is good
_________________

KUDOS is a way to say Thank You

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Mar 2012
Posts: 61
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 19

Re: Erika came home from the home improvement store [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2013, 16:17
According to this source, brick is countable noun: http://englishmistakeswelcome.com/count ... _nouns.htm
_________________

MV
"Better to fight for something than live for nothing.” ― George S. Patton Jr

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Dec 2011
Posts: 453
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 135 [0], given: 70

Re: Erika came home from the home improvement store with too few [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2013, 17:35
Brick can be countable as well as uncountable (depending on use). See the following references from Oxford and Longman:
http://oald8.oxfordlearnersdictionaries ... ry/brick_1
http://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/brick_1

Stone also can be countable as well as uncountable (depending on use). See the following references from Oxford and Longman:
http://oald8.oxfordlearnersdictionaries ... nary/stone
http://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/stone_1

We cannot say brick can be only countable or brick can be only uncountable. Same goes for stone.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Dec 2011
Posts: 453
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 135 [0], given: 70

Re: Erika came home from the home improvement store with too few [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2013, 19:59
rakeshd347 wrote:
sbhghosh80 wrote:
Erika came home from the home improvement store with too few stones for the patio and too much brick for the flower beds.

1. few stones for the patio and too much brick
2. few stone for the patio and too much brick
3. few stones for the patio and too many brick
4. little stones for the patio and too many brick
5. few stones for the patio and too much bricks


I think correct answer should be C.

Stone is countable noun so few is correct for it.
In option A too much brick is for uncountable nouns however brick that is used here should be countable. Because Erika bought the bricks and it should be too many as we can count 1 brick 2 brick.

For those people who said brick is non countable well brick is both countable and non countable it depends on the meaning of the sentence.
For example: House is made of brick. ( in this sense it is non countable because it is used as a collective identity).
However in the example above it is clearly mentioned that erica bought the brick and how can bricks be bought without counting. You can't buy brick in kilos or in litres it has to be in numbers. Make sense.

So the correct answer is C.


Option C says "many brick" which makes the option incorrect. It would have been correct if it were "many bricks".

You are right to says that countable "brick" would make more sense in this case. But option B,C,D,E are wrong grammatically and option A is the only option which does NOT have any grammatical mistake.

Rule for GMAT SC: Correctness > Clarity > Concision

There are plenty discussions and analysis in this thread to show correctness/incorrectness of each option.

OA is option A and that is the correct one.

Information to help you: In GMAT, only proper utilization of time is to understand why an OA is correct and why other options are wrong. Only this strategy can help in concurring GMAT. (We need to follow their rules as we are playing in their field.)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Dec 2011
Posts: 453
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 135 [0], given: 70

Re: Erika came home from the home improvement store with too few [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2013, 21:54
rakeshd347 wrote:
Hi Mate
I didn't mean to offend you but was getting the better understand of how the bricks can be used here as uncountable noun……this same question is on beatthegmat aswell and people had the same problem. Now OA could be anything….I make a sentence myself and give an OA will not make the OA correct. This question is made up by someone in GROCKIT and not from any reliable source.
I would still stick to my statement answer A is wrong because its referring to bricks as uncountable however in this perspective it should be countable.
All the options have some issues I agree but A have issue aswell so there is no correct answer here….Imagine I was to say….I have too much car….How funny will that be….:)
in short the source of this question is not reliable so no point arguing about it.

Thanks for the explanation though KUDOS for that.

In GMAT, you will find many such questions where all options have some or other problem. You need to go by the rule of correctness > clarity > concision. Grockit may not be a very good source, but this question is close to many OG type questions. Here you got to find which is best from all odds. Also you need to understand the difference between correctness and clarity as you are treating the clarity problem of option A to be incorrectness. You may stick to to your own idea at your own risk and nobody can help you in that case.

I repeat: "Option A has no grammatical mistake (though it has a clarity issue). All other options are grammatically incorrect. This makes option A to win over others." Period.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Dec 2012
Posts: 117
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 57

Re: Erika came home from the home improvement store with too few [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2013, 07:45
My 2 cents -

I once got befuddled by the use of cattle and fish - can be used as both singular and plural. I think this is similar to that example.

If the sentence were to use "too much stones" then it would be a red flag.
Re: Erika came home from the home improvement store with too few   [#permalink] 13 Apr 2013, 07:45
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic Erika came home from the home improvement store with too few sbhghosh80 5 04 Apr 2013, 22:53
Experts publish their posts in the topic Erika came home from the home improvement store with too few gmattest27 4 10 Mar 2012, 03:02
1 Erika came home from the home improvement store with too few enigma123 5 10 Nov 2011, 13:28
1 By providing such services as mortgages, home improvement lys8207 3 21 Jan 2010, 07:35
2 homes ritula 1 08 Feb 2009, 23:11
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Erika came home from the home improvement store with too few

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.