Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 11:11 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 11:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [39]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [20]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
General Discussion
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [2]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [4]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: Erika came home from the home improvement store [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
In this figurative speech of writing, brick stands for the brick work in its entirety and not the individually countable bricks. In that sense, we can take brick to be singular and therefore too much brick is acceptable, although slightly odd to say. However stones are countable nouns and the appropriate adjective for stones is ‘few’. Now case by case,

1. Few stones for the patio and too much brick - few stones and too much brick are good enough
2. Few stone for the patio and too much brick --- few stone is wrong

3. Few stones for the patio and too many brick - --- too many brick is wrong

4. Little stones for the patio and too many brick ---- too many brick are wrong

5. few stones for the patio and too much bricks ---- too much bricks is wrong
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 788 [1]
Given Kudos: 70
Re: Erika came home from the home improvement store [#permalink]
Bookmarks
At first glance, all options seem to be incorrect. But after looking through these, option 1 seems best of all.

1. Brick can be countable or non-countable. Keep it.
2. "few stone" is incorrect. It should be "few stones".
3. "many brick" is incorrect. It should be "many bricks" or "much brick".
4. "little stones" and "many brick" are incorrect. Those should be "few stones" or "little stone" and "many bricks" or "much brick".
5. "much bricks" is incorrect. It should be "many bricks" or "much brick".
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 788 [0]
Re: Erika came home from the home improvement store with too few [#permalink]
Brick can be countable as well as uncountable (depending on use). See the following references from Oxford and Longman:
https://oald8.oxfordlearnersdictionaries ... ry/brick_1
https://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/brick_1

Stone also can be countable as well as uncountable (depending on use). See the following references from Oxford and Longman:
https://oald8.oxfordlearnersdictionaries ... nary/stone
https://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/stone_1

We cannot say brick can be only countable or brick can be only uncountable. Same goes for stone.
Manager
Manager
rakeshd347 wrote:
sbhghosh80 wrote:
Erika came home from the home improvement store with too few stones for the patio and too much brick for the flower beds.

1. few stones for the patio and too much brick
2. few stone for the patio and too much brick
3. few stones for the patio and too many brick
4. little stones for the patio and too many brick
5. few stones for the patio and too much bricks

I think correct answer should be C.

Stone is countable noun so few is correct for it.
In option A too much brick is for uncountable nouns however brick that is used here should be countable. Because Erika bought the bricks and it should be too many as we can count 1 brick 2 brick.

For those people who said brick is non countable well brick is both countable and non countable it depends on the meaning of the sentence.
For example: House is made of brick. ( in this sense it is non countable because it is used as a collective identity).
However in the example above it is clearly mentioned that erica bought the brick and how can bricks be bought without counting. You can't buy brick in kilos or in litres it has to be in numbers. Make sense.

So the correct answer is C.

Option C says "many brick" which makes the option incorrect. It would have been correct if it were "many bricks".

You are right to says that countable "brick" would make more sense in this case. But option B,C,D,E are wrong grammatically and option A is the only option which does NOT have any grammatical mistake.

Rule for GMAT SC: Correctness > Clarity > Concision

There are plenty discussions and analysis in this thread to show correctness/incorrectness of each option.

OA is option A and that is the correct one.

Information to help you: In GMAT, only proper utilization of time is to understand why an OA is correct and why other options are wrong. Only this strategy can help in concurring GMAT. (We need to follow their rules as we are playing in their field.)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 788 [1]
Kudos
rakeshd347 wrote:
doe007 wrote:
Option C says "many brick" which makes the option incorrect. It would have been correct if it were "many bricks".

You are right to says that countable "brick" would make more sense in this case. But option B,C,D,E are wrong grammatically and option A is the only option which does NOT have any grammatical mistake.

Rule for GMAT SC: Correctness > Clarity > Concision

There are plenty discussions and analysis in this thread to show correctness/incorrectness of each option.

OA is option A and that is the correct one.

Information to help you: In GMAT, only proper utilization of time is to understand why an OA is correct and why other options are wrong. Only this strategy can help in concurring GMAT. (We need to follow their rules as we are playing in their field.)

So you think the bricks is uncountable…..Can you please explain how you considered bricks as uncountable……I went to the market and bought 10 bricks……why can't you count bricks…..Bricks is uncountable when you say…..House is built of bricks….here bricks are uncountable.

I never said "bricks is uncountable". I said "bricks can be countable as well as uncountable". I said "correctness prevails clarity". I said "option A does not have any grammatical mistake and all other options have grammatical mistakes". If you think otherwise, please explain where exactly is the "grammatical" mistake in option A and how do you consider any of the other options to be "grammatically" correct. If you cannot show any grammatical mistake in option A and if you cannot show any other flawless option, there is no point in stretching this discussion as this might be confusing and useless for other members.

You need to read the earlier posts in the spirit of understanding (without being defensive) and you will get the answer on why an OA is an OA.

Remember, the question on whether brick should be used as countable or uncountable here is nothing but clarity issue -- it has nothing to do with grammar.
Manager
Manager
Erika came home from the home improvement store with too few [#permalink]
rakeshd347 wrote:
Hi Mate
I didn't mean to offend you but was getting the better understand of how the bricks can be used here as uncountable noun…… Now OA could be anything….I make a sentence myself and give an OA will not make the OA correct. This question is made up by someone in GROCKIT and not from any reliable source.
I would still stick to my statement answer A is wrong because its referring to bricks as uncountable however in this perspective it should be countable.
All the options have some issues I agree but A have issue aswell so there is no correct answer here….Imagine I was to say….I have too much car….How funny will that be….:)
in short the source of this question is not reliable so no point arguing about it.

Thanks for the explanation though KUDOS for that.

In GMAT, you will find many such questions where all options have some or other problem. You need to go by the rule of correctness > clarity > concision. Grockit may not be a very good source, but this question is close to many OG type questions. Here you got to find which is best from all odds. Also you need to understand the difference between correctness and clarity as you are treating the clarity problem of option A to be incorrectness. You may stick to to your own idea at your own risk and nobody can help you in that case.

I repeat: "Option A has no grammatical mistake (though it has a clarity issue). All other options are grammatically incorrect. This makes option A to win over others." Period.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 2583 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Yeah, this one is confusing. It's a question about countable nouns but it's really tricky with brick/bricks. The deal is that it can work either way. Brick in the singular is not countable - 'Look at how much brick they used on that house'. In the plural, bricks is countable - 'The workers needed more bricks to finish off the front wall.'

So, technically you can use the uncountable 'brick' on this sentence and answer choice A is correct. You can easily argue that from a meaning standpoint you should probably use the countable 'bricks'.

KW

Posted from my mobile device
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
sbhghosh80 wrote:
Erika came home from the home improvement store with too few stones for the patio and too much brick for the flower beds.

this question tests countable/uncountable nouns. moreover, I doubt that such a question would appear on gmat.
few stones ok - too much brick - suspicious, but will see what other options are.

suspicious of the much brick, but keeping it.

few stone - well, if we use few, then the stone should be stones. this one little "s" makes it incorrect B.

many brick - if bricks are countable as the "many" suggest, then logically, it should be bricks. incorrect.

little is for uncountable nouns. thus incorrect. many is for countable, but brick is without "s". out.

much - is for uncountable, thus incorrect.

looks like A is the best so far.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
sbhghosh80 wrote:

think this question was discussed on other threats as well..
few stones is correct.
D is out.
too much brick or too many bricks
many brick is incorrect.
much bricks is incorrect.
B, C, and E are out.

A is the answer.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-

gmattest27 wrote:

A. few stones for the patio and too much brick

B. few stone for the patio and too much brick

C. few stones for the patio and too many brick

D. little stones for the patio and too many brick

E. few stones for the patio and too much bricks

Choice A: This answer choice correctly uses the word "few" to refer to the countable noun "stones" and uses the word "much" to refer to the uncountable noun "brick". Thus, this answer choice is correct.

Choice B: This answer choice uses the word "few" to refer to the uncountable noun "stone". Thus, this answer choice is incorrect.

Choice C: This answer choice uses the word "many" to refer to the uncountable noun "brick". Thus, this answer choice is incorrect.

Choice D: This answer choice incorrectly uses the word "little" to refer to the countable noun "stones" and uses the word "many" to refer to the uncountable noun "brick". Thus, this answer choice is incorrect.

Choice E: This answer choice uses the word "much" to refer to the uncountable noun "brick". Thus, this answer choice is incorrect.

Hence, A is the best answer choice.

Please note that in their singular forms, nouns such as "stone" and "brick" can serve as material nouns. Furthermore, material nouns are always uncountable.

To understand the concept of "Collective, Countable, and Uncountable Nouns on GMAT", you may want to watch the following video (~ 2 minutes):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6919 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts