Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 21:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ernesto Sales of VCRs will decline in the next few years

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Ernesto Sales of VCRs will decline in the next few years [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2005, 21:25
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Ernesto
Sales of VCRs will decline in the next few years because the saturation level among US households has virtually been reached.

Milton
Every year a greater number of popular feature films is released on cassette—at least 6 per month. Clearly VCR sales will remain constant, if not rise.

Which of the following is the best logical evaluation of Milton’s response of Ernesto’s argument?

a) he cites evidence that, if true, disproves the evidence cited by Ernesto in drawing his conclusion
b) He points out a gap in the logic followed by Ernesto in drawing his conclusion.
c) He cites an issue ignored by Ernesto and which outweighs the issues raised by Ernesto
d) He does not speak to Ernesto’s point because he fails to raise the issue of whether VCR sales may be linked to sales of other leisure0related products
e) He fails to respond to Ernesto’s argument because he assumes that nothing will significantly retard the sales of VCR’s which was the issue that Ernesto raised

please explain your answer. I am having big problem with this type of question.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2005, 02:03
I'd go in for C

A -> M's evidence does not disprove E's evidence

B -> Gap in logic? Not sure; He doesn't argue along the same logical lines of American households reaching a saturation. He presents a different line of argument.

C -> Yes, E had ignored the release of popular titles on cassettes in drawing his conclusion and in bringing this out, he outweighs his argument.

D -> Way off the mark

E -> Same as D
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2005, 02:43
Patrick,

I will go with (c) too.Upon reading the question i sized the answers down to (a) and (c) for the same reasons as Maverick.Thus I had the following to choose from:
a) he cites evidence that, if true, disproves the evidence cited by Ernesto in drawing his conclusion
c) He cites an issue ignored by Ernesto and which outweighs the issues raised by Ernesto
+++
In the case of (a),his evidence does not disprove the evidence cited by Ernesto.It just gives another evidence to draw the conclusion.Thus (a) is out.

(c),falls in place as Ernesto missed to consider new movies as a potential evidence.Rgds,

Anna

We can crack the exam together

Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2005, 05:33
I think (C) too. Will explain after OA
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2005, 06:15
I will go with 'A'
The issue here is 'Declining sales of VCRs'
Ernesto's evidence - Saturation level has reached among US households
Milton's evidence - (Saturation level has not reached, more people will be buying VCRs becos) new movies are released on cassette, (so more people who have not bought, who want an extra VCR, who want to replace their old ones will buy at the same rate).
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2005, 06:55
the following link should give you a good idea.

http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... hlight=vcr
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2005, 08:45
vprabhala wrote:
I would go with E..

Vprabhala

Please explain your answer
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2005, 08:46
qhoc0010 wrote:

please explain your answer. I think we are having a pretty good discussion here. Keep it up. :-D
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2005, 08:51
D cannot be correct as he talks about the cassette's which is a leisure item.
He fails to address ernesto's point and talks about something totally unrelated to sales there is no relation between number of cassettes and VCRs.. _
E it is..
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2005, 11:49
patrickpui wrote:
qhoc0010 wrote:

please explain your answer. I think we are having a pretty good discussion here. Keep it up. :-D

I was wrong so I got nothing to say. This question has been asked before from the above link.
Good one.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2005, 18:43
OA is E and I have my doubt.
  [#permalink] 05 Jan 2005, 18:43