Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 14:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

error log for CR?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

error log for CR? [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2012, 06:58
i know about the error log used in SC in which we're supposed to mark questions that we've made errors in and refer to them again later etc etc.

my question is - is there something i can do similar in CR? how do i 'learn' from my mistakes in CR? if i go back to a question that i've solved incorrectly and try solving it again, there's no use as i remember the answers most of the time.

what should i do?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 85

Kudos [?]: 481 [0], given: 432

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: error log for CR? [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2012, 18:48
Expert's post
For my error log, I would (1) identify the reason why I answered incorrectly and (2) Identify the question type. The most important step is probably to fully review the explanation. Besides learning from your mistakes and reinforcing the concepts from reading the explanations, you can also identify patterns or specific weak points (if any exist). For example, you might notice that you struggle with Strengthen-type CR problems. In that case, it's also important to review the corresponding section in whatever CR guidebook that you use (Powerscore, Manhattan, etc.).

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Schools: UCSD (Rady) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 189

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 3

Re: error log for CR? [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2012, 12:08
Expert's post
Hey phoenixreborn, absolutely you can keep an error log for CR.

One quick tip: the most common reason I've seen that people miss CR questions is because they misidentify the conclusion (the author's main argument). One example I use is from the OG Verbal Supplement, CR #54. What's the conclusion of this argument? Go try it now, then come back and read the spoiler.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Many people say that the conclusion is:

"Tanco should switch from salt to potassium chloride."

But that's not what we're interested in - a better conclusion is:

"Switching from salt to potassium chloride will be profitable for Tanco."

Notice that only the second conclusion allows you to identify the correct answer, (E), as being irrelevant with respect to profitability.

To start your error log, what I recommend is to write down what you think the conclusion is for every CR problem you see (except the draw-a-conclusion questions or minor types that don't have conclusions). Then, if you miss a problem, see if the conclusion you wrote was correct. If not, what would have been better? Could you have been more specific? Did you really understand the logic of the argument?

There's plenty more that you could keep in your error log, but this should get you started. I'm curious to hear from other GMATClub members as well - what kind of notes do you keep for CR problems?

Ryan Jacobs | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Re: error log for CR?   [#permalink] 03 Jul 2012, 12:08