Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 21:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Errors in Scoring!!! My disappointment!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Errors in Scoring!!! My disappointment! [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2010, 08:29
So after four months and countless hours of prep I took the GMAT yesterday and was disappointed with a 640 (36 Q, 41V). I was shooting for the magical 700 number and fell short, very disappointed. Quant just killed my score, if I would have gotten even a 40 on quant I think I would have gotten 680, a 45 probably a 700. The problem I am having is that on prep tests I was scoring on average around 680 and scored 700 on my last GMAT Prep test about a week ago. Since then I have studied mostly quant and have been scoring around 45 on quant on practice tests and then put in a four day quant study, probably 12 hours of studying just quant. I went to the exam confident and was not nervous, AWA went fine no problems. Took a short break and started quant, I thought I was doing awesome. I knew almost every question and had time to double check most answers, I was not rushed or nervous at all. Probably didn't know maybe three or four questions. I thought it was easy, easiest quant section I've done so I'm thinking it was not registering my correct answers. Coming out of quant I thought I nailed it. Verbal was fine I thought I did well. I see my score and cannot believe the 36 43% on quant, there is no way. I haven't scored that low on the quant portion since June or July and scored around that before studying the four months and countless hours. I now am convinced either a) the GMAT is the trickest test ever or b) the quant score is wrong (I hate to say this because I don't like making excuses and I respect GMAC but I am confident I nailed it), and I don't think the GMAT is that tricky. I have not been disappointed on a test since probably freshman year of college, as I have gotten A's on everything since then and I passed all three levels of the CFA on the first try so my knowledge and study plan have worked awesome up to here. I'm relatively smart I would say but in addition I study alot so I put in the hours. I know people probably think I may be a sour loser and/or that I am crazy and maybe it is possible that I got a 36 on quant but I really thought I nailed it and had time to review most problems so I cannot understand the score on quant. Does anyone have similar stories like this? Anyone know of a time when a GMAT score was incorrect? Any way to have GMAT double check the scoring or see my exam? Anyone know how many questions you need to get wrong to get a 36 or what range of questions you are at, i.e. I imagine a 36 means you cannot get any 600-700 questions and are getting 3/4 of the 500-600 questions right, I mean just how bad is a 36? I know I do not have many options but wanted to see if anyone on this forum had any knowledge on this. I know I can take it over but the 36 43% on quant really are not going to look good to top schools even if I do retake it. I would greatly appreciate any feedback. Thank you in advance.

Yours truly,

Sore Loser
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Followers: 340

Kudos [?]: 1391 [0], given: 194

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Errors in Scoring!!! My disappointment! [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2010, 09:14
Well, retaking is certainly the best option you've got. Sorry to say this, but the chances of GMAC making a mistake on scoring to THAT level - probably not happening. The GMAT is a test administered around the world and it has to be implemented at a certain level of accuracy, else the point of the test disappears. I don't think there's even a re-evaluate option when you take the GMAT. If I were you, I'd just accept the score as a product of missing the nuances and prepare better for the next time.

Good luck.
Re: Errors in Scoring!!! My disappointment!   [#permalink] 30 Oct 2010, 09:14