Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 13:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

ESADE and HEC Paris

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

ESADE and HEC Paris [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2011, 07:00
Hey all,

I am in a bit of a problem here. I have been accepted in HEC Paris and ESADE for a FT MBA!!! this is fantastic news especially considering I will be only 25 at matriculation. (670 GMAT)

Even though HEC paris is one my my dreams I have 2 questions if you could please help me with:

1) HEC Vs ESADE? ANY ideas? I am wanting to work outside Europe after my MBA. USA or Singapore to be exact.
2) What about a US MBA? I have dinged by Tuck last year but got really good remarks to re-apply. Last year my essays were bad and this year with work I got into 2 schools already. I was thinking of something like Tuck, Kellogg or even a long shot at HBS.
So ultimately, do you believe that a strong USA MBA is a better choice?
Also note that for HEC I would like to do the dual mba with NYU Stern.

My profile is I quote "exceptionally strong" (due to me opening my own business and working for Microsoft).

Any help would be much appreciated.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Other
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: Q V
WE: Business Development (Consulting)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 53

Re: ESADE and HEC Paris [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2011, 08:03
Congratulations on both your admits! HEC and ESADE are both very good schools.

If you want to work in the US after your MBA, I would strongly suggest you look at US b-schools. Even though HEC and ESADE are fantastic schools in their own rights, employers looking for people to work in the US will definitely give more preference to a candidate from a US b-school. Also, studying in a US b-schools expands your US network via the alumni base - more networking opportunities.

Another way you could swing it if you join HEC or ESADE, is if you can get some sort of confirmation from your employer post-MBA to transfer you to a US office. This is a long shot and for this you will have to commit to HEC or ESADE which immediately 'limits' your options.

Now, for whether to choose HEC or ESADE - this is a purely personal decisions. I would suggest visiting both schools, if you have not done so already.

Going purely from a rankings perspective, Tuck or Kellogg are top tier. If you got encouraging remarks with your ding letter, and were told to re-apply, and if you are OK with the wait, I would say that this is your best option. HEC or ESADE cannot compare to the kind of opportunities that Tuck or Kellogg will open up for you in the US job market.

Again, I dont think it is impossible to land a job in the US after studying in these two schools, but it is definitely more effort - effort that I personally would expend trying to find the best job profile/salary/etc rather than trying to convince an employer to send me to the US.

Ultimately, I dont think you will go wrong with any of these schools. I personally feel that the MBA degrees's biggest impact is going to be immediately post-MBA (the job market, location, opening new doors, industry sector, etc).

Congrats again and let us know what you decide.
Re: ESADE and HEC Paris   [#permalink] 27 Oct 2011, 08:03