Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:44 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: PhD
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Management in Pharmaceuticals
Schools:LBS, ESADE
 Q45  V42
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: general
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Re: ESADE Business School [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi guys,

I had my interview on 22 December with an adcom member over the phone and I wanted to share my experience with those that still have to do an interview.

Just as everyone here that has been through it confirms, it was a pleasant experience, quite casual yet it was obvious that my interviewer was strictly following a pre-mapped question-route. We started with a 'walk me through your resume, giving attention to each milestone and the reasoning behind your key decisions." This took a good 25 min as I had to zoom in on things like - why this undergrad University, city, company; core business of my employer, my direct responsibilities and objectives. At one point I had questions such as "how did your employer react when you left the company?" and "Why did you leave the company you co-founded, what would your partners back then say about you should we ask them now?" All in all we studied my resume in depth.

Following, the focus shifted to my proffessional aspirations and the MBA role in my career gameplan. I have a good reason for applying to ESADE just as many of you do and I used this opportunity to tie my answers to the school's USP's. I had an interesting question here: what do you expect to be the most difficult thing for you during the MBA at ESADE. A good question which I had not thought of before so I asked for a few secs to put my thoughts together - the interviewer was patient and understanding at that time and throughout. The other good question I thought was the one about my alternative post MBA job (in case my first choice falls through). Other questions included 3 strengths / 3 weaknesses, personal contribution to the programme, etc. but nothing that can catch you off guard after a good prep. If you don't have time for a comprehensive prep, my suggestion is to write down your entry- and closing sentence to each standard questions. When the question comes up that will serve you as an anchor and keep you at the mark.

We closed the interview on what would be the two unique characteristics that the adcom could use should they wish to introduce me to the new MBA class. Having a two-liner ready that recaps on the overall marketing message in your application may help you end on a strong note.

that said, my own verdict is probably being signed as I type this. I hope my debrief has been as helpful to some as others' have been to me. Good luck!

best,
daniel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:LBS
 Q47  V47
Send PM
dan4o wrote:
Hi guys,

I had my interview on 22 December...

nice debrief daniel, kudos!

have you heard back from ad com yet? usually they're quite quick.

good luck!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
Hey guys, I got some bad new and good news. I didn't make it to ESADE. The good news is that I got a final admit from HEC. So I've decided to go to HEC!

Good luck everyone on your applications and scholarships. Hopefully I'll get to meet some of you during the HEC MBAT :)

-cesque
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
Hi all
Had my interview in Sgpore yesterday....

The admit comm lady was really friendly and the interview was more like a casual conversation...
Case Study component:
There was a case study in the beginning on business model for a leading cafe house...and what should be done to bring about change/improve business model...quite easy..
just prepare your slides well..and neat...and follow structure when replying...

Actual interview:
The actual interview was more on a recap of the resume...and why MBA now? was a bit surprised as was told tat the essays are clear enough on why MBA..and why ESADE...

I am more than ever convinced now that ESADE is the right fit for me.
Hopefully there will be good news...

ciao
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
Pepto wrote:
You are correct that I have been reading Morgan and Tobias' blogs, but also a blog by Matt Brattin who graduated this year. It seems that Tobias is on the 12 month program with no option to do an internship, and Morgan and Matt were unable to secure one. I understand that the fact that Spain is one of the European countries worst hit by the crash, and that with 40% of graduates staying there there will be some negative affects in the placement stats but it is hard to compare to other European schools because most of them don't have detailed career reports available.

Just for the record - I did actually secure an internship, albeit unpaid and slightly less sexy than some of my classmates (2009), it was an internship nonetheless. Part of the issue with my class was not just the economy, but Dell actually came in and sweet talked about thirteen or so of us into thinking we had internships, and it wasn't until about a month before summer began when they finally ceased all communication with us and the school and we realized we really didn't have an internship with them afterall. Prior to that I was left to believe I was heading to Bratislava or Dublin, turned out I had to reach into my bag of tricks and make the most of my summer - which I did by offering my services up to a personal financial planner and mentor of mine back in California. In the end, it is all in how you spin things and I secured a full-time job with no problem whatsoever in my choice of internship.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
HI to everyone,

I am new here and I am considering to apply for ESADE. How is ESADE compared to IESE? I find very difficult to differenciate between these two schools (both are Spanish, both in Barcelona).

In fact, I am from Barcelona (from Sarria) but I´ve been living abroad for many years, and now I might come to my city for the MBA.

I am specially interested in the opinion of non-Spanish applicants. Please, no hard facts such as rankings.

many thanks,

John
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey everyone,

I was forwarded here by bajargyan and i must say that it's been very informative. Congrats to all who got accepted or got contacted for interviews. I'm in process of scheduling my phone interview with ESADE. I'm a bit nervous but from what i can tell after reading everyone's reviews I shouldn't be. I'll let you guys know how it went.

good luck to everyone,
ganesh
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy management
Schools:ESADE, IESE, HEC
 Q47  V31
GPA: 3.21
WE 1: ESADE
Send PM
JohnSpain wrote:
HI to everyone,

I am new here and I am considering to apply for ESADE. How is ESADE compared to IESE? I find very difficult to differenciate between these two schools (both are Spanish, both in Barcelona).

In fact, I am from Barcelona (from Sarria) but I´ve been living abroad for many years, and now I might come to my city for the MBA.

I am specially interested in the opinion of non-Spanish applicants. Please, no hard facts such as rankings.

many thanks,

John

What difference i see between ESADE and IESE for me (though there is not much difference in terms of the FT and BW rank) has been:
1. Teaching method: IESE focuses extensively on Case study method, while ESADE has a mix of case study, lectures, projects..focus is not on one particular method which i find really appealing as not everyone can be comfortable with one form of teaching.
2. The cost: Considering the duration of both programs is about the cost, there is huge difference in the tuition fees (almost 15,000 Euro) this is no small amount and considering the reputation of both schools are almost equal in europe..maybe IESE has more recognition in US but i am not aware of it..a US native if here please comment on that...for me this is a huge factor as well
3. The strength in various sector: IESE has more recognition in the IB and Consultancy when compared to ESADE (though what i have come across is that its trying to become stronger there) ..while ESADE's strength is clearly more in the industry sector...

For me these are the major differences, though it would be difficult for me to distinguish some other difference. i was interviewed at both places. ESADE being my first choice...i chose it.. while i am wait listed at IESE. I really liked the approach of ESADE and the feedback from current students.

If there are other differences..that people are aware of then please share.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Another difference, as stated by vgeri in an earlier post, is that ESADE's program is flexible and allows you to choose from a 12, 15, or 18 month program. I believe you choose which stream you prefer once you complete the core courses. IESE is strictly a 21 month program. So if the duration of the program is a factor this might be an issue.

However, both are reputable schools so you really can't go wrong.
Manager
Manager
 Q47  V47
Send PM
hi cesque, congratulations on getting into HEC! it's a great place and i'm sure you will have a lot of fun in France. Good luck! :)

cesque wrote:
Hey guys, I got some bad new and good news. I didn't make it to ESADE. The good news is that I got a final admit from HEC. So I've decided to go to HEC!

Good luck everyone on your applications and scholarships. Hopefully I'll get to meet some of you during the HEC MBAT :)

-cesque
Manager
Manager
 Q47  V47
Send PM
hello guys. i also have some good & bad news.

the bad news is that i will not be going to Esade after all... the good news is that this is because my girlfriend and i have decided to stay in London instead, and we are actually quite excited about the future here. I will be going to LBS in august - in the specific sector i'd like to work in post-MBA they have a stronger presence, and the school has also offered me a scholarship which has certainly helped (despite losing my 8k deposit at Esade! (shock)). So I am happy, although also feel bad for missing out on what wouldhave certainly been a fantastic experience in Barcelona.

Good luck everyone else with your applications/decisions. Also I know scholarship decision is coming out tomorrow - andygee & others, good luck!!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, general management
Schools:IE, IESE, ESADE
GPA: 3.4
WE 1: Communications
Send PM
I think IESE definitely has the reputation of being a really rigorous MBA program, and is regarded as the most pretigous in Spain.
However, ESADE is also a top school, and it has a very good reputation. It is arguably the #2 in Spain after IESE. (It's sort of a toss up with IE, but I think most people would give more prestigue points to ESADE because its a longer-standing program.)
I live in the US and would say all three Spanish schools are about equally unknown here, unfortunately. Hopefully that will change!
The difference in IESE and ESADE is definitely in attitude and approach. I think ESADE tends to attract a lot more diverse candidates from different industries, while IESE is more appealing to those in the finance/consulting world because of the schools excellent contacts in those areas, and strong emphasis on "hard" skills.
However, I think those with non-traditional b-school backgrounds actually may have a better shot at IESE. I think a higher proportion of advertising/marketing/sales/communications/industry types are applying to ESADE vs. IESE because they view it as the less stodgy of the two schools -- and more "fun."
However, IESE would probably love to have some of those ESADE applicants to balance out all of the suit-wearing types who typically apply there... so I say, apply to both! I've heard from IESE students that they make time for fun too :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1748 [0]
Send PM
thanks and congrats vgeri!!! it was probably a very difficult decision for you to make but the scholarship was a nice incentive ;) just to update, i know that i have not been very active on this thread since the beginning! i applied to the dec 11th round and i just had my interview.. now waiting word whether i am accepted. i have been lucky with this whole application process.. i actually find out where i get in for all three programs i apply to by the first week of feb! hopefully these next couple of weeks goes by quickly! all the anticipation is killing me :P

if anyone needs a debrief about my interview, please feel free to leave me a PM!

vgeri wrote:

the bad news is that i will not be going to Esade after all... the good news is that this is because my girlfriend and i have decided to stay in London instead, and we are actually quite excited about the future here. I will be going to LBS in august - in the specific sector i'd like to work in post-MBA they have a stronger presence, and the school has also offered me a scholarship which has certainly helped (despite losing my 8k deposit at Esade! (shock)). So I am happy, although also feel bad for missing out on what wouldhave certainly been a fantastic experience in Barcelona.

Good luck everyone else with your applications/decisions. Also I know scholarship decision is coming out tomorrow - andygee & others, good luck!!!
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: PhD
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Management in Pharmaceuticals
Schools:LBS, ESADE
 Q45  V42
Send PM
vgeri wrote:

hey vgeri,

sad to hear that you won't be joining us in barcelona. however, I wish you all the luck for LBS and I am sure you made the right decision!!

good luck to everyone else who is waiting for scholarship decisions like me :lol:
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi again from me too,

Since we are on the role let me share as well - I got one good news and one blank.

Judge has just invited me to join its MBA 2010/11 class. I am really pleased and also feel quite complimented, given the fact that the school is often compared to a fortress - so selective are they said to be. They have also offered me a sweet bursary (without my having applied) as a token of their "commitment to my candidature". That swept me of my feet and truly won my heart.

On the other front line - nothing from ESADE yet. I was supposed to hear from them within the first 2 weeks of Jan, then the decision was postponed to the third week and now as I am looking into the weekend I am starting to question if I still have enough personal arguements to choose ESADE before Judge (as was my intention). The way it looks now, I may not be seeing you - the ESADE 2010 class, after all. I may even cancel my application if I don't get any news by mid next week, thus hopefully giving someone else the chance to get that vacancy. Either way, best of luck to all and if my experience with this application process may help someone else, just let me know.
daniel
Intern
Intern
Send PM
vgeri wrote:

vgeri: I am sure it must have been a difficult decision...but the scholarship for LBS plus being with your gf are definitely sweetners...Congratulations!!

I am still waiting to hear from the adcom, hopefully there should be some news by end of this week....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1748 [0]
Send PM
dan4o,

That is a tough call! When do you have to decide by for Judge? Which school is your (initial) first choice?

dan4o wrote:
Hi again from me too,

Since we are on the role let me share as well - I got one good news and one blank.

Judge has just invited me to join its MBA 2010/11 class. I am really pleased and also feel quite complimented, given the fact that the school is often compared to a fortress - so selective are they said to be. They have also offered me a sweet bursary (without my having applied) as a token of their "commitment to my candidature". That swept me of my feet and truly won my heart.

On the other front line - nothing from ESADE yet. I was supposed to hear from them within the first 2 weeks of Jan, then the decision was postponed to the third week and now as I am looking into the weekend I am starting to question if I still have enough personal arguements to choose ESADE before Judge (as was my intention). The way it looks now, I may not be seeing you - the ESADE 2010 class, after all. I may even cancel my application if I don't get any news by mid next week, thus hopefully giving someone else the chance to get that vacancy. Either way, best of luck to all and if my experience with this application process may help someone else, just let me know.
daniel
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts