Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 18:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

ESADE Business School

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 9

Re: ESADE Business School [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2009, 06:00
thnx andygee ..:)...i have mailed them regrdn the issue so lets c..:)
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: ESADE Business School [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2009, 07:23
Hi Guys, haven't had much time online this week so I've only been able to check this thread today.

bajargyan- thanks for the information, I saw earlier in the thread that they weren't keen to offer an extension.

vgeri- wow, you have a very interesting perspective as I haven't met many people who have been to both Melbourne and Barcelona. MBS does have a very good reputation in Australia and from the information I have been able to gather online it has several similarities to ESADE- namely small class sizes and a very close relationship between fellow students and also with the faculty.

It seems that for me the choice isn't so much MBS vs ESADE, but Australia vs Europe because as you said, choosing Melbourne will only really make sense if my goal is to work in Oceania, and Barcelona is obviously the better choice for a career in Europe.

Having never been to Australia it is very hard for me to choose Melbourne at this time, but I am planning a trip there early next year. Most of my friends who I have told about my choice have said that Melbourne (and Australia in general) is a great place live and that they feel that it is a young country with lots of promise for the future. For now I am going to continue preparing my application for both schools and hopefully (fingers crossed :lol: ) I will get accepted at both and can then make the decision based on my experiences at the ESADE information session and MBS visit I will be attending next year. Both schools seem exchange students and so even if I chose one over the other I may have an opportunity to spend some time at both.

You are right that Melbourne is significantly cheaper, the problem is that they don't offer student loans for international students. As I have been away from my home country for several years it will be difficult to get a loan there, and as I am not a permanent resident in the country where I currently live, I'll have no luck with banks here either.

Worst case scenario is that both of them ding me and then I will have to look at other options like Vlerick, Cranfield, Warwick etc.

First priority is getting a good GMAT score, it seems that there are a lot of early applications for both schools this year and so places may be a bit tight by the time I get my applications in.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: ESADE Business School [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2009, 01:13
Hi ALL

This forum looks really very informative...
I am just in the process of completing my application...

Profile: 27 in Singapore, 5yrs exp, currently AVP in a bank...

Just wondering...what was the main focus on your essays?
Also, is there any way to submit online recos?

Thanks
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: ESADE Business School [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2009, 19:24
I just submitted my application! :) Now I've got to keep my fingers crossed and wait.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: ESADE Business School [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2009, 19:37
packan wrote:
Just wondering...what was the main focus on your essays?
Also, is there any way to submit online recos?

Thanks

Hey packan, As far as I know, I don't think you can submit online recos. But you can probably check with the admissions department.
Intern
Intern
Schools: ESADE, IESE, HEC
WE 1: ESADE
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 2

Re: ESADE Business School [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2009, 23:51
seems like everyone here got busy with their applications now.

and for those of us who got admit, busy getting prepared to apply for scholarship and getting ready for the big move next year.. well guys as i had previously mentioned i got an interview invite from IESE..it is going to take place today in about 3 hours.. via video conference..doing it just to get an experience..though ESADE is where i am headed...

will update u on the experience... cheers
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: ESADE Business School [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2009, 19:31
Submitted my online app..
Hoping for some good news....
Intern
Intern
Schools: ESADE, IESE, HEC
WE 1: ESADE
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 2

Re: ESADE Business School [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2009, 20:35
good luck packan!!

IESE interview -
The interview was ok, the quality was comparable to that of a webcam chat so i do not really know why they insisted on video conference through ISDN :?

I was interviewed by an alumni who is now working at IESE's adcom. Standard question on why IESE, Why MBA, Why europe, career goals... career accomplishment and progression, leadership roles

lot of question on personal life and how i dealt with changes and how i used networks for personal and professional life. One thing that really made me uncomfortable was the counter questioning the interviewer did.. in some cases trying to refute what i aim for..or how i look at things. raised question on my age to join the MBA..as i am one of the younger candidates. Asked me about how i researched IESE's MBA program.

Overall, i would say it was not that intimidating of an interview but there were instances where i really felt to be put on spot by the interviewer... got no feedback from the interviewer... will get to knw what happens in 2-3 weeks.

hopefully my experience will help people who are applying/interviewing to IESE.

Overall I am very happy to make the decision to go to ESADE..and really excited about joining the program.. :-D
Intern
Intern

Re: ESADE Business School [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2009, 02:46
bajargyan wrote:
seems like everyone here got busy with their applications now.

I wish....
Due to unforseen problems at the office and some staff members being away on vacation I've been putting in 12 hour days which leave me with very little time for GMAT study or essay writing. We are having a bit of a crisis in the company and while I feel like I am really getting a good opportunity to demonstrate leadership skills, teamwork and get things done under pressure it won't mean anything unless I can get my application completed :cry:

bajargyan wrote:
and for those of us who got admit, busy getting prepared to apply for scholarship and getting ready for the big move next year..

I really envy you guys, its great that you have been accepted and you can now breath easy for a few months before you head off to Barcelona. I only have a few days off work during the holiday season but I will have to dedicate them 100% to my application.

Wish me luck! :-D
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: PhD
Schools: LBS, ESADE

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: ESADE Business School [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2009, 03:03
good luck to everyone with the application process.

I received an ADMIT from London Business School yesterday - something to boost my confidence at the very least! :)
Intern
Intern

Re: ESADE Business School [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2009, 04:30
ESADE strikes me as a pretty poor choice for several reasons: (1) Barcelona is not the economic powerhouse it is cracked up to be. Very low spending on R&D makes for a feeble manufacturing sector in Catalonia. Two other stalwarts of the local economy – tourism and construction – have been hard hit by the crisis and have poor long-term prospects. Multinationals prefer to locate in Madrid, close to the political center of power and where most investment on infrastructure gets channeled. Barcelona’s financial sector is weak and really does not go much beyond La Caixa savings bank and a low-volume stock exchange; (2) Barcelona is a very expensive city and is not that much fun to live in. It used to be called “The Catalan Manchester” before the textile industry collapsed and the town hall started a PR campaign to re-badge the city as Europe’s design capital. Unfortunately, much of the PR is based on wishful thinking. At a more practical level, student accommodation is lousy and in very short supply. Why make the MBA experience tougher than it should be? (3) ESADE is a Johnny-come-lately to the research field and it shows in lots of ways. A business school with a scintillating research track record carries much more kudos and weight and that usually spills over into the teaching; (4) ESADE doesn’t seem to have any major strengths. It touts its corporate social responsibility model but the school’s business partners and its opaque Jesuit-inspired organization belie the hype; (5) Spanish companies are generally reluctant to hire foreigners, even when they are graduates of a local business school. Maybe it is a cultural hang-up, maybe it is because outsiders do not have the cultural insights that Spanish companies are looking for, maybe it is for some other unfathomable reason but the fact is it lengthens the odds of getting a good job (something to think long and hard about in the present crisis); (6) ESADE has fallen out with some big players in the local business community. Catalonia is currently locked in combat with Madrid over a host of major issues, including the Constitution and political and local autonomy. Barcelona Airport’s future is a key issue for local firms, who want to see it become an international hub instead of just a regional feeder. It doesn’t help that ESADE’s Director General accepted the presidency of Clickair, which is a subsidiary of Iberia (the former State airline and a company that is dead against turning Barcelona Airport into an international hub). The bad feeling can be gauged by the fact that a major company (Planeta) left ESADE’s board of trustees on the issue and some 250 ESADE graduates publicly protested. All this is bad juju that won’t improve your job prospects.
Intern
Intern

Re: ESADE Business School [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2009, 10:34
Meagan wrote:
ESADE strikes me as a pretty poor choice for several reasons: (1) Barcelona is not the economic powerhouse it is cracked up to be. Very low spending on R&D makes for a feeble manufacturing sector in Catalonia. Two other stalwarts of the local economy – tourism and construction – have been hard hit by the crisis and have poor long-term prospects. Multinationals prefer to locate in Madrid, close to the political center of power and where most investment on infrastructure gets channeled. Barcelona’s financial sector is weak and really does not go much beyond La Caixa savings bank and a low-volume stock exchange; (2) Barcelona is a very expensive city and is not that much fun to live in. It used to be called “The Catalan Manchester” before the textile industry collapsed and the town hall started a PR campaign to re-badge the city as Europe’s design capital. Unfortunately, much of the PR is based on wishful thinking. At a more practical level, student accommodation is lousy and in very short supply. Why make the MBA experience tougher than it should be? (3) ESADE is a Johnny-come-lately to the research field and it shows in lots of ways. A business school with a scintillating research track record carries much more kudos and weight and that usually spills over into the teaching; (4) ESADE doesn’t seem to have any major strengths. It touts its corporate social responsibility model but the school’s business partners and its opaque Jesuit-inspired organization belie the hype; (5) Spanish companies are generally reluctant to hire foreigners, even when they are graduates of a local business school. Maybe it is a cultural hang-up, maybe it is because outsiders do not have the cultural insights that Spanish companies are looking for, maybe it is for some other unfathomable reason but the fact is it lengthens the odds of getting a good job (something to think long and hard about in the present crisis); (6) ESADE has fallen out with some big players in the local business community. Catalonia is currently locked in combat with Madrid over a host of major issues, including the Constitution and political and local autonomy. Barcelona Airport’s future is a key issue for local firms, who want to see it become an international hub instead of just a regional feeder. It doesn’t help that ESADE’s Director General accepted the presidency of Clickair, which is a subsidiary of Iberia (the former State airline and a company that is dead against turning Barcelona Airport into an international hub). The bad feeling can be gauged by the fact that a major company (Planeta) left ESADE’s board of trustees on the issue and some 250 ESADE graduates publicly protested. All this is bad juju that won’t improve your job prospects.

blatant IE trolling :P
some interesting info though. what do you think about iese as a school?
Manager
Manager
Schools: LBS
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 9

Re: ESADE Business School [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2009, 15:48
Meagan wrote:
ESADE strikes me as a pretty poor choice....

hello Meagan, thanks for sharing your thoughts. looks like you have some interesting in-depth information. it would be interesting if you substantiated your viewpoint by telling us who you are and where your strong views are coming from. it seems quite 'dedicated' to have set up an account just to post this message!

i obviously have a different viewpoint to yours, but i also feel that you are missing the point slightly in your arguments. first of all, I'm not sure i understand the madrid vs barcelona comparison - we all know that multinationals are based in madrid, and that it's the political and business centre of the country. but why should that matter - who says you cannot work in madrid if you study in barcelona. in fact, most people will be looking for jobs outside of spain, so how strong the catalan economy is doing will not be relevant for many people. that barcelona is 'not much fun to live in' is your personal view and clearly many people living there disagree with that. again, it would be more useful if you could tell us about your experiences in living there and why you didnt find it fun, rather than just making a blatant statement like that.

i think we could understand your arguments better if you told us a bit about your background and just what you consider a good school if Esade is a poor choice?
Manager
Manager

Re: ESADE Business School [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2009, 16:00
hello guys, like Pepto i've been extremely busy at work so havent really had time to visit back much. nice to see some new faces on the thread!!

cesque, packan, arvs212 - good luck with your applications, let's hope you get some good news very soon!!

pepto - like your friends say, Australia and Melbourne in particular is a fantastic place to live in. but it's very far from Europe so it is a big commitment moving there in the longer term i think. i think it's a good idea to visit both places and decide based on your experiences. however, if you want to apply to both and then make a decision, please keep in mind that Esade usually makes an admit decision very quickly, and then you have to decide wether you accept (with big deposit) within a few weeks. if you look earlier in the thread, you'll see that both andygee and i got into this situation with our applications. so just something to keep in mind! until then, good luck with your apps and the Gmat of course!!

btw, like andygee, i also got an admit to LBS! :) so looks like Esade will be snatching away some people from LBS this year!
Manager
Manager

Re: ESADE Business School [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2009, 16:29
also, forgot to ask: ghk, what happened to you, have you heard back from the adcom since your interview? i was rooting for you so i hope you got some good news - or are you still waiting?

beckee529 - did you manage to submit for the R2 deadline? any news yet?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Re: ESADE Business School [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2009, 03:41
Hello Everyone,

Thanks to everyone who are making this thread so lively.
I applied to ESADE Dec 11 deadline and I managed to get a telephonic interview :-D

The admission officer was very responsive throughout and having met them last month in London,
I know whom I am speaking too.

-Cheers,
Intern
Intern

Re: ESADE Business School [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2009, 05:32
Quote:
blatant IE trolling :P
some interesting info though. what do you think about iese as a school?

Well, IESE is based in Barcelona too so the same location drawbacks apply. There are also differences. IESE has a smaller and more tightly-focused set of programs. I know that some ESADE graduates taking longer programs wished they had taken shorter IESE ones.

IESE was founded by Opus Dei, which has a much stronger political and economic power base in Spain than Jesuit-inspired ESADE. While Opus Dei leaves me cold, who would not rather have a one-thousand pound gorilla on his side than a chimp, no matter how charming?

IESE was very quick off the mark over the airport issue, holding a major conference to fire up all the local political and corporate heavyweights in a crusade to dethrone AENA (the Spanish airports authority). ESADE faculty maintained a suspicious silence over the whole affair, probably for the reasons set out in my earlier post.
Intern
Intern

Re: ESADE Business School [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2009, 11:15
Meagan wrote:
Quote:
I know that some ESADE graduates taking longer programs wished they had taken shorter IESE ones.

fail
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 9

Re: ESADE Business School [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2009, 16:56
This post received
KUDOS
blinknow wrote:
Hello Everyone,

Thanks to everyone who are making this thread so lively.
I applied to ESADE Dec 11 deadline and I managed to get a telephonic interview :-D

The admission officer was very responsive throughout and having met them last month in London,
I know whom I am speaking too.

-Cheers,

hi blinknow, welcome to the thread, and congratulations on your interview invite!!

i'll respond to your pm here as might be useful for others too. if you look earlier in the thread, you can find my and others' interview debriefs. as all have said, you can expect a relaxed interview aimed at getting to know you as a person. in terms of preparation, you can always expect questions about your work exp, why mba, and your post-mba plans. rather than preparing for specific questions, the best is to have a complete, logical story of how your past experiences, and the mba at Esade, will combined put you in a very strong place for opportunities xyz. you have to know your story inside out for the interview, and then you wont have problems answering any specific questions. remember that the admissions officers at Esade are also the career services people, so they'll be thinking how easily they'll find a job for you if they admit you. so show strong passion for what you're trying to achieve, but also some flexibility (good to have a 'plan b' if things might not work out as you planned). you also should have some specific points about Esade that you like, not only generic stuff, to show your 'love' and commitment for the school.
apart from that, you will most likely have some questions about how you work in a team, and how you lead people. so certainly prepare a few good examples of difficult team-work situations, times when things went wrong, times when you had to show strong leadership, how you dealt with those situations and what you learned from them.
as i said the interviews are quite relaxed but preparing for these questions will certainly help to make you more confident and put you at ease.

enjoy the preparation and best of luck for the interview! :)
Intern
Intern

Re: ESADE Business School [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2009, 10:00
hi all,

would love to get your insight, since some of you have gone through the final stages of the application process with ESADE. i submitted my app this past dec. 11th deadline and received an email (shortly thereafter) that some of the admissions staff will be coming to my country soon to hold info sessions, fairs and conduct interviews. they mentioned they would like to meet me and will contact me soon. it seemed very casual, but i'm not sure if they try to meet all the applicants or those that they're highly considering. i'm trying to determine if i've passed through the first application review stage to garner a meeting with an admissions staff.
also, i know applications have risen this past year, any idea by how much?

thanks,
bdlphn
Re: ESADE Business School   [#permalink] 20 Dec 2009, 10:00