Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Apr 2014, 18:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Essay Advice- Long Term Goals

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Should I use 2 seperate unrelated long term goals?

• 0% [0]
  • 100% [4]
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Essay Advice- Long Term Goals [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2011, 16:59
Hello,
I am applying to a top 10 Evening and Weekend Program. My undergrad GPA from major but not particularly prestigious public university is 3.5. My GMAT is slightly above 700. I have worked in energy and finance fields as an Analyst. I need to write fantastic essays as the rejection rate is still about 2/3.

My dilemma is this question:
What are your short and long term career goals. How will the MBA Program help you achieve them?

I am a career advancer. I want the mba for all the generic reasons I won't list. Its not just a stamp for me I do really believe in its value and have classes that would benefit me picked out.

The problem comes with my long term goal. I am planning on either continuing on my current path (with advancement and a few changes) or start my own business. My boyfriend is in athletic industry. He needs to go back to school, get doctorate, certifications, etc. It is an endeavor that is 6-10 years out. He is amazing at what he does, but would never be able to start his own business on his own. I feel like with our different skills sets we can grow a business with personal training, physical therapy, chiro etc. We've talked about it. I don't have much experience with entrepreneurship. I want to use the mba as an opportunity to learn even more. I also have to do soul searching on whether it is good for my partner and I to live and work together. It may be too stressful or it may be the most amazing career choice.

I want to be honest and tell Hass that my long term goals can go into one of two directions or possibly a hybrid. All I read about is how career goals should be well defined so I feel like it may be suicide to say my long term goals aren't completely defined and dependent on future events.

What do you think? Should I be 100% honest and discuss the two path option or should I just stick to what I know which as a career advancer????

Thanks so much in advance. :)
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Schools: MSU Broad $
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 19

Re: Essay Advice- Long Term Goals [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2011, 12:37
I think honesty is the best policy when it comes to interviews and essays. Although you could present yourself in a different light, I believe that your true feelings will come through with a more direct approach. After all, that is why they are asking the question. I don't necessarily think that having options in the long-term is a setback as an applicant. For me, that is one of the main reasons I am persuing an MBA. Options are a good thing, and you should approach it that way and tell them what's on your mind, of course don't be too vague either, becoming a matador shouldn't be on your list.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Essay Advice- Long Term Goals [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2011, 12:49
my feeling is that there is no right or wrong answer to what your personal goals, feelings, etc are. however, you do need to back up what you say and make sure the admissions committee understands why. this is esp important when dealing with out of ordinary situations. so if you have 2 diff goals that may raise eyebrows in and of itself. but if you explain and it makes sense it chould be fine.
Re: Essay Advice- Long Term Goals   [#permalink] 23 Feb 2011, 12:49