Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 07:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Essay - Be humble or be righeous?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 11

Essay - Be humble or be righeous? [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2010, 05:21
My friend is applying to Med School, and we both have different opinions on how we should come across in our essays.

Her essays outrightly say "I'm a leader. I'm kind. I'm nice... " (with examples to back them up, of course)

Mine are more "humble", I guess you could say, and although I don't come outright and say I'm a leader, I talk about leading clubs and organizations and helping other people.

She believes that sometimes you need to come out and list the qualities you possess to make you sound more confident in your abilities. I personally think I should let the adcoms know my accomplishments and let them come to their own opinion about what words describe me.

Any thoughts?
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 322 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Essay - Be humble or be righeous? [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2010, 10:30
Expert's post
I think both approaches are acceptable, as long as you illustrate your claim with evidence.

Some school's essay topics directly ask about your leadership quality, etc.? So it's okay to come straight out and list the qualities in the initial sentence/introduction, and then use the body of the essay to back up your claim with examples that illustrate your leadership skills.
VP
VP
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 17

Re: Essay - Be humble or be righeous? [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2010, 14:41
It's a heck of a lot better to demonstrate your skills than to tell people you have them. If you truly are a leader, talk about how you led and the impact you had and people will see that you are a leader. If you go around telling people that you are a leader, you probably aren't.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 11

Re: Essay - Be humble or be righeous? [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2010, 05:14
Jerz - that was my opinion exactly. I guess I'll go ahead and stick to my approach then :)

Thanks you both for your input!
Current Student
Schools: UCLA Anderson FEMBA Class of 2014
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 4

Re: Essay - Be humble or be righeous? [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2010, 12:19
I would agree with asimov.
I think showing with examples and experience goes a much longer way as well as sets you apart from all of the other applications being read.
GRE Forum Moderator
Affiliations: PMP certified, IT professional
Schools: CMU, Kelley
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 2

Re: Essay - Be humble or be righeous? [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2010, 06:45
Jerz wrote:
If you truly are a leader, talk about how you led and the impact you had and people will see that you are a leader. If you go around telling people that you are a leader, you probably aren't.

I agree !
If you have instances that demonstrate leadership skills, you can mention that briefly.

I recently read the essay of a lady who had 4 months experience and in her essay she had mentioned how she was extremely capable and outsmarting collegues with 5+ yrs of experience in those 4 months. My first impression after reading it was not good. It seemed immature and pompous.

So, IMO as Jerz rightly put it, it is not the quality of mature leader to go around telling people.
GRE Forum Moderator
Affiliations: PMP certified, IT professional
Schools: CMU, Kelley
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 2

Re: Essay - Be humble or be righeous? [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2010, 06:48
I am also in the process of getting applications ready.In my case, I had made some significant contributions to my prev project. I discussed with my supervisor who is giving me a recommendation, if he would mention that in the letter of recommendation.

He said he would be glad to make a note of it.
Re: Essay - Be humble or be righeous?   [#permalink] 03 Sep 2010, 06:48