Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 14:33 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
aviroop wrote:
Hmm touchy subject.

I would be comfortable trading in my essays with pple who are not applying to the same school.

Goals essay would be a no no.. all goals essay have the same underlying structure..its like the magic potion..dunno if anyone would share it

rest are more personal based.. so I think it would not be a biggie

I agree that sharing goals essays would not be a good idea. But essays like "what unique experiences..." or "describe a failure" will vary between person to person. I'd still be a bit reticent because while examples cannot be reused, sentence structure or tenor can be borrowed. Personally, I feel better about sharing essays with people who aren't applying this year.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'm good with sharing the essays with the regulars and those that aren't applying to the same school. But would somebody who isn't applying to Harvard, be encouraged to apply to Harvard after looking at somebody else's essays for Harvard?

I'm definitely up for sharing essays for next year's applicants though. I thought you had the idea about the essay submission thread?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi,
My experience with reading other's essays is likely different than most here. Literature was my major and one of my work study posts was working in the college writing center. Helping people with their writing (beyond simply proofreading) is a difficult task. A truly valuable reader has both the technical knowledge to determine problems and the didactic skill to guide the writer to personal solutions. I would not worry about sharing a particular essay with others, only a fool would plagarize an essay that (s)he is likely to be questioned closely about in the interview process. I would worry about the qualitative value of the advice/criticism I was given. (only so many Rhyme's to go around...)
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
helpslip wrote:
Hi,
My experience with reading other's essays is likely different than most here. Literature was my major and one of my work study posts was working in the college writing center. Helping people with their writing (beyond simply proofreading) is a difficult task. A truly valuable reader has both the technical knowledge to determine problems and the didactic skill to guide the writer to personal solutions. I would not worry about sharing a particular essay with others, only a fool would plagarize an essay that (s)he is likely to be questioned closely about in the interview process. I would worry about the qualitative value of the advice/criticism I was given. (only so many Rhyme's to go around...)

Ya but how would you guarantee that the person who you trade your essays with would end up using your essay for his application to another school?? You say he/she would be a fool to do it, but would you risk sharing your essay?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
[#permalink]
We need a GMATclub honor system :P
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
An honor system would be great, I would be more than happy to share my essays with people applying next year.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
General consensus is that people are happy to share essays next year.. For that.. the GMAT thread where 07 ers can post their essays of 08 ers to see has already been started.
I think the logistics are still being sorted out on who can have access..
my 2 cents
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
A very interesting topic, kryzak! I am not sure what my opinion is in this matter. Let's continue discussing this. I want to see where this discussion goes.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think it's necessary to clarify what kryzak is saying here.

kryzak wrote:
Now the gray area is, what about someone who's applying to a completely different set of schools? Would trading the goals/leadership/accomplishment essays pose any problems?

By this, I dont think kryzak means people are going to "trade" essays in the literal sense. He means that people are going to read and critique each other's essays.

Overall, helping others with essays that are inapplicable to you is probably fine such as some one not applying to Stan reviewing a "What matters to you most?" essay.

Any other way will probably be uncomfortable and will depend on the individuals involved.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
[#permalink]
Just a few notes about the essay sharing idea: I think the 07 applicants will play a huge role in determining the success of the essay sharing idea in the future. It has always been like this. Sorry to say this so often, but the very existence of the forum is based on this idea of sharing.

About the honor system, the buck stops with me. Let all the hate about access be directed towards me and you guys focus on your essays. I am not going to sell access and the only way you get in by giving your time and sharing your knowledge with others. No need to suck up to me or say nice things about the Club. I can smell BS over the internet too. :oops:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
Haha, Praet, have you ever been on an adcom before? ;)

Anyway, thanks to NC for the clarification. I also want to say that I'm not as worried about someone taking my essays and submitting them to a school, but more if the tone or a way of saying a certain sentence creeps into mine or the other person's essay, that would raise some red flags. These things can be unintentional and yet if the school catches it, there'll be a "he said, she said" problem.

Sounds like the consensus is that critiquing essays that do not overlap with people who are not applying to the same school as you in the same year is ok.

Praet, no worries, even if you don't get any 07-ers contributing, you already have 4-5 08-ers willing to submit their essays for GMATClub vault if we all get in!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
[#permalink]
kryzak wrote:
Praet, no worries, even if you don't get any 07-ers contributing, you already have 4-5 08-ers willing to submit their essays for GMATClub vault if we all get in!

Praet, if I dont get in, I will still share mine. At least, my essays can be great examples of "How not to write" and come to think of it, they will probably be more valuable. No book on the market gives an example for a horrible essay and this can be the USP of GMAT club :-)

Originally posted by ncp on 10 Sep 2007, 15:56.
Last edited by ncp on 10 Sep 2007, 16:07, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
kryzak wrote:
Haha, Praet, have you ever been on an adcom before? ;)

Anyway, thanks to NC for the clarification. I also want to say that I'm not as worried about someone taking my essays and submitting them to a school, but more if the tone or a way of saying a certain sentence creeps into mine or the other person's essay, that would raise some red flags. These things can be unintentional and yet if the school catches it, there'll be a "he said, she said" problem.

Sounds like the consensus is that critiquing essays that do not overlap with people who are not applying to the same school as you in the same year is ok.

My essays would atleast serve to instruct people as to how not to write one
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
that's why everyone should save their FIRST drafts and post them for comparison! ;)
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
[#permalink]
Nice to see the self-flagellation. This is something I saw in 07 too, so you guys are on the right track. :-)

You must kindly allow Praetorian to remain an enigma. Its nice to be a nobody. It keeps my ego safely tucked away so that we can always keep our eyes and ears open to any new ideas or concerns all of you may have.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Praetorian wrote:
Nice to see the self-flagellation. This is something I saw in 07 too, so you guys are on the right track. :-)

You must kindly allow Praetorian to remain an enigma. Its nice to be a nobody. It keeps my ego safely tucked away so that we can always keep our eyes and ears open to any new ideas or concerns all of you may have.

Praet your last sentence sounded like Big Brother is watching us.. I am just kidding..

but thanks for keeping an eye out on things and making life easy for us GMAT Clubbers.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
ncprasad wrote:
Praet, if I dont get in, I will still share mine. At least, my essays can be great examples of "How not to write" and come to think of it, they will probably be more valuable. No book on the market gives an example for a horrible essay and this can be the USP of GMAT club :-)

My essays will also be available to help GMATclub highlight its USP of "How not to write"
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2