Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 20:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Essay Help!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Essay Help! [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2014, 19:51
I'm working on my short term/long term career goals essay and could use some help. Is it too vague to say that the position is more important to me than the industry? Or do I need to say exactly what industry I plan on working in? I know I want to be in marketing, just not sure of the industry yet.

Last edited by cr9976 on 10 Apr 2014, 14:37, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2219

Kudos [?]: 8186 [1] , given: 3641

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Essay Help! [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2014, 22:11
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
You can write in your essay pretty much anything you want. I have seen people achieve very loft goals, but those have to be your goals. They have to resonate through your essays, your LOR's, resume, and interview.

I have a piece of advice that I learned the hard way (you are welcome to ignore it though) - the more specific you are, the better. What i mean is that people do not like vague statements - they like precision and appreciate it. For example if someone told you they wanted to be in a movie business, you would probably think they were one more wanna-be LA waiter. However, if someone told you they wanted to do quantitative marketing for a movie studio, then you get a whole different dimension. It shows they have a goal, purpose, and are very specific about it. They have obviously done their research and have made plans. This works with MBA essays and also with jobs. Nobody wants to help you get into the movie business (how could they since it is so vague), but many people will help you if you wanted to become a sound recording engineer for example.

P.S. I would absolutely mention your dual citizenship. It is a unique quality that will allow you to do a lot of things and provide you with freedom of employment in Europe and that with so few Europeans having US MBA (I made this up - I have no idea if it is true), you will be a very competitive candidate (this is starting to sound like a plan). This will also add to your personality and make you a more interesting person (Adcom gets bored reading tons of essays; they all blend in after a while)

Good luck!

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Essay Help! [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2014, 11:31
It is important for you to showcase a relationship between what your past and the future. I am certain that most of the admitted students tear their essays apart as soon as they get in and most of the times end up pursuing a career they had not considered earlier( this may not apply to prospective Management consultants or I-Bankers).

As I recommend to many applicants who apply through PythaGURUS Education, I will suggest that you use a story that does not exceed the risk appetite of the admissions committee members. Most of the times they are risk averse and would rather have an applicant who can fit well into an orchestra rather than picking up a goals story that they may not be able to fulfil.

Past +MBA = ST( 5-7 years) + LT( 7-15 years).

While constructing this equation for yourself, think about the skills that you have gained, think about the AHA Moments( an AHA Moment is a continuous exposure to a Wannabe Role or a wannabe state of mind- AHA Moment is not a falling apple....it is a prolonged exposure to something you have been observing on the grass that is greener on the other side. ).

Identify the Companies ( Within Movie Industry) that recruit from campus of your target school. Or get in touch with an existing student and ask for people who got through to these companies through off-campus recruiting.

Also, research for positions in the job postings section of your target companies or even Linked IN and identify the functions and the growth path across these companies.

Hope this helps !

Jatin Bhandari

Darden MBA

PythaGURUS Education

TOP MBA Admissions Consulting and GMAT Preparation
Our MBA Admissions Consulting Services
Want to assess your candidature? Fill in a Free Applicant Review Form
Our Success Stories
Facebook Twitter LinkedIN Google+

Re: Essay Help!   [#permalink] 10 Apr 2014, 11:31