Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 05 Jul 2015, 23:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

#Essay Tip | Think then Write!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consultant
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 177 [0], given: 2

#Essay Tip | Think then Write! [#permalink] New post 27 May 2014, 07:54
Expert's post

Want more free tips, info, and resources? Follow us on [Twitter] and like us on [Facebook]!

Whoa there - pump the breaks – think then write! Rushing into essay writing without proper planning can quickly lead to disaster. The essays are the most difficult part of an application and getting them wrong is the quickest way to the ding pile. Successful applicants invest the time upfront to think through their essay strategy which leads to more efficient and effective essay writing.

There is no secret formula or perfect strategy when it comes to essays. Instead, here are a few guidelines that can help you plan and storyboard your essays to get you started off on the right foot.

[Remember Your Audience] The readers of your essays are passionate admission committee members dedicated to creating a class of diverse, impactful students who can best contribute to campus life. Make sure you keep your audience and their objectives in mind when planning on how to tailor your essays. Treat your essay as a conversation not an academic paper!

[Assign Roles] Each essay is an important building block of your overall application. Therefore, it is important that you take a holistic approach to understanding what role you want each of your essays to play in conveying your unique strengths and story. It is helpful to have a complete list of your professional and personal experiences in hand before you try to figure out what to talk about where!

[Find Your Message] It is crucial that each of your essays is built around a central message or objective. Take the examples you have in mind for an essay and determine what the key takeaway needs to be. Then make sure that your message is authentic in that it captures how you really feel. Stay focused!

[Identify Key Points] Once you decide on a message, it is all about gathering all the key points that provide the support behind your story and determining how you want to sequence the points to create the most compelling story. Avoid generic, sweeping statements! If you say you have a specific skill, back that up with structured support.

When you have your essay drafted, remember – an experienced 2nd perspective can go a long way! At Critical Square, our Essay Editing services provide candid and tangible feedback – absolutely no fluff here. It’ll be rigorous but trust us, you’ll thank us in the end! Learn more [here]!

Want more awesome articles? Visit our [Blog]!

Bhavik

Bhavik
Managing Partner

Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Blog | Free Resources | Facebook | Twitter

Was this post helpful to you? Give a Kudos and let me know!

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: #Essay Tip | Think then Write! [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2015, 06:44
After reading that guide i realize that it is important to first you have to think, analyze and plan to write an creative essay. When i was in my university and learning law education i used to take guide from other colleagues to write my law essays that are of full knowledge and credible in my teachers eyes and now while writing is my passion i can take guide from posts like this. I would like to give best greetings for sharing such handy tips for me.

Elmina Kenly is a london base Author and Editor. A Masters in English with a specialization in Experimental writing from Cardiff College.

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consultant
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 177 [0], given: 2

Re: #Essay Tip | Think then Write! [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2015, 06:47
Expert's post
Our pleasure - always great to hear from folks who find our posts helpful!

Bhavik

Bhavik
Managing Partner

Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Blog | Free Resources | Facebook | Twitter

Was this post helpful to you? Give a Kudos and let me know!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: #Essay Tip | Think then Write! [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2015, 07:05
i hope to get further such effective stuff like this in future through this platform. :)

Elmina Kenly is a london base Author and Editor. A Masters in English with a specialization in Experimental writing from Cardiff College.

Re: #Essay Tip | Think then Write!   [#permalink] 27 Apr 2015, 07:05