Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 09:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Essays

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Essays [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2008, 05:47
I am writing up my MBA essay and while writing this, I am talking about my first job experience and I am struggling hard to logically build a reasoning as to how I lost my first job and I found a new job and how the experience turned out to be a positive one....

Do I just put an abrupt end to my first job experience by saying"... this job taught me blah, blah, blah"... and the very next sentence is "This experience while fulfilling, was cut short due to budgetary reasons and I ended looking for another job opportunity.". The two sentences seem very contrasting (one sounds very positive and the very next one sounds a complete 180 degree turnaround)

Any suggestions?
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Essays [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2008, 01:23
Is it absolutely necessary to state that the reason you moved to the other job or started scouting around for it was the fact that you lost the first one? Why do you even want to add a negative event in your essay? Can you show that your job change was motivated by conscious choices on your part, rather than as a side effect of losing the earlier one?

Regardless of what you may really have thought at the time, how about stating that you were entertaining the idea of switching to the new job/field while in the older one, and had done some research in the area of your interest? This can make the difference between sounding like a helpless victim of the job market and one who's taking charge of his/her professional future. You could then state that a downturn in your old industry only served to catalyze your transition into the new role, for which you were eagerly preparing anyway.....get the drift?
Re: Essays   [#permalink] 27 Mar 2008, 01:23