Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 04:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Essays - Entrepreneurship Goal - Divulge business idea?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 13 Jan 2011
Posts: 380
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Essays - Entrepreneurship Goal - Divulge business idea? [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2011, 05:06
I have a question for folks and would greatly appreciate some feedback. I am an asian american female who currently works in new media / tech (lots of experience with Web, multimedia, social media, and some with mobile apps). My post MBA goals = go the entrepreneurship route and focus on mobile technology innovation for business use in developing countries (i have a masters in international economic policy, focused on developing and third world nations). I am ALSO interested in working for large mobile company that wants to penetrate foreign markets (particularly developing nations).

My question is, in my career goals essay, must I choose one goal to focus on or can I mention both? Also, if I choose to focus on Entrepreneurship, do I have to divulge my business idea in my essays?

Any opinion is appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)
_________________

*******************************************************************
~ PickyTooth - Eat Like a Local Foodie // www.pickytooth.com ~
*******************************************************************

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Jan 2010
Posts: 141
Schools: Tuck 2013
WE 1: Big 4
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 67

GMAT Tests User
Re: Essays - Entrepreneurship Goal - Divulge business idea? [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2011, 07:43
1
This post received
KUDOS
enkie wrote:
I have a question for folks and would greatly appreciate some feedback. I am an asian american female who currently works in new media / tech (lots of experience with Web, multimedia, social media, and some with mobile apps). My post MBA goals = go the entrepreneurship route and focus on mobile technology innovation for business use in developing countries (i have a masters in international economic policy, focused on developing and third world nations). I am ALSO interested in working for large mobile company that wants to penetrate foreign markets (particularly developing nations).

My question is, in my career goals essay, must I choose one goal to focus on or can I mention both? Also, if I choose to focus on Entrepreneurship, do I have to divulge my business idea in my essays?

Any opinion is appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)


Short term goal: large mobile company
Long term goal: entrepreneurship route (ideally reflecting the unique combination of your current WE and the experience at the large mobile company)

This approach will let you touch on the entrepreneurship classes/resources that the school has that appeal to you, without making yourself an employment risk at graduation. It worked for me.
You might want to post this in the admissions consulting section. I seem to remember a few consultants saying never make the start-up route your immediate goal.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 13 Jan 2011
Posts: 380
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Essays - Entrepreneurship Goal - Divulge business idea? [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2011, 08:25
Thank you! This is very helpful. And it really makes sense to list large mobile company as short term goal and entrepreneurship as long term goal. I'll also fish around in the admissions consulting forum.

Thanks again! Looks like you were admitted to quite a few great schools. Congrats! :)
_________________

*******************************************************************
~ PickyTooth - Eat Like a Local Foodie // www.pickytooth.com ~
*******************************************************************

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 01 Jun 2011
Posts: 176
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Essays - Entrepreneurship Goal - Divulge business idea? [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2011, 05:58
estreet wrote:
enkie wrote:
I have a question for folks and would greatly appreciate some feedback. I am an asian american female who currently works in new media / tech (lots of experience with Web, multimedia, social media, and some with mobile apps). My post MBA goals = go the entrepreneurship route and focus on mobile technology innovation for business use in developing countries (i have a masters in international economic policy, focused on developing and third world nations). I am ALSO interested in working for large mobile company that wants to penetrate foreign markets (particularly developing nations).

My question is, in my career goals essay, must I choose one goal to focus on or can I mention both? Also, if I choose to focus on Entrepreneurship, do I have to divulge my business idea in my essays?

Any opinion is appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)


Short term goal: large mobile company
Long term goal: entrepreneurship route (ideally reflecting the unique combination of your current WE and the experience at the large mobile company)

This approach will let you touch on the entrepreneurship classes/resources that the school has that appeal to you, without making yourself an employment risk at graduation. It worked for me.
You might want to post this in the admissions consulting section. I seem to remember a few consultants saying never make the start-up route your immediate goal.



Completely agree. Few weeks ago I was analyzing insead accepted essay. The situation was quite similar to your question. The applicant wrote:

I would like to become a part of companies X,Y,Z in Russia. I treat experience in these companies as a solid foundation to get in-depth practical experience. I believe the 3-5 years of such experience will be quite enough to start a venture of my own...

Hope it was helpful :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 13 Jan 2011
Posts: 380
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Essays - Entrepreneurship Goal - Divulge business idea? [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2011, 07:12
Yes very helpful! Thanks guys. I am excited to start my essays now. :)
_________________

*******************************************************************
~ PickyTooth - Eat Like a Local Foodie // www.pickytooth.com ~
*******************************************************************

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 01 Jun 2011
Posts: 176
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Essays - Entrepreneurship Goal - Divulge business idea? [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2011, 23:36
enkie wrote:
Yes very helpful! Thanks guys. I am excited to start my essays now. :)



Welcome. :-D
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 Sep 2010
Posts: 234
Location: United States (MN)
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: Harvard Business School - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V45
GPA: 3.67
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 44 [1] , given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Essays - Entrepreneurship Goal - Divulge business idea? [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2011, 10:07
1
This post received
KUDOS
You've received some really good advice so far regarding putting entrepreneurship as a long term goal and having a more tangible goal in the short term. As far as business ideas go, if you do decide to write about entrepreneurship (which again is a risk for b-school apps), yes, by all means divulge your business idea. It's incredibly frustrating to a reader to hear someone talk about a "tranformational idea or business concept" that they are working on without any details to clue us in to how you think. You don't have to share your tactical plans or coding or anything but rather the business concept that you'd pitch to a VC. Ideas are a dime a dozen anyways and entrepreneurship is all about who can execute. Adcoms aren't going to rip off your idea. :-D
_________________

FindIt - http://www.getfindit.com

My blog - http://www.shoescount.com

Re: Essays - Entrepreneurship Goal - Divulge business idea?   [#permalink] 16 Jun 2011, 10:07
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Darden vs McCombs for Technology / Entrepreneurship goals oldmonk 1 17 Feb 2013, 00:43
Experts publish their posts in the topic essays: On entrepreneurship as a post-MBA goal working4theman 1 06 Dec 2012, 17:13
1 Entrepreneurship career goals? masland 7 01 Nov 2010, 20:10
3 Goals Essay topher 9 05 Oct 2009, 20:39
entrepreneurship sample essays darren1010 0 18 Dec 2007, 23:07
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Essays - Entrepreneurship Goal - Divulge business idea?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.