Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Aug 2014, 21:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Essays for an Accountant

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Essays for an Accountant [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2010, 10:04
Hi Alex,

I am an auditor at one of the big four accounting firms in the US. As I started writing outlines for my MBA application essays, I noticed that I'm really just focusing on personal/community service stories. I guess I expect all of my work experience stories to come across in my LORs. I just feel that my non-work stories are what makes me unique, not to mention the fact that it's hard to find a unique story for an accountant. Is this a terrible approach to take?

Thanks in advance
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 526 [0], given: 0

Re: Essays for an Accountant [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2010, 18:29
It really depends on the individual. For some, their extracurriculars are exceptional; for others, it's more a "casual" thing.

It's really a matter of personal judgment - regardless of work vs. extracurriculars, you want to play to your strengths. If your strongest and most compelling examples come from your work, then don't feel you need to mix it up for the sake of mixing it up. Conversely, if most if not all of your most compelling examples are outside of work (and you feel your resume can pretty much sum up your work), then don't feel compelled to write about your work.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Essays for an Accountant [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2010, 18:39
Thanks for the quick response! I definitely feel that some of my best experiences are personal/extracurricular. Though, I am somewhat comforted that I know my recommenders will be mentioning their work experiences with me to highlight any quantitative skills I've shown on the job as an accountant.
Or I may just be in denial thinking that Adcoms look down on auditors/accountants and I don't want to give an accounting story. What is your perception of Adcoms view of auditors/accountants/CPAs?

Thanks again!
1 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 526 [1] , given: 0

Re: Essays for an Accountant [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2010, 07:50
This post received
KUDOS
Adcoms don't look down on accountants -- but they have the same set of preconceptions of accountants that many other people have (boring, humorless, number crunchers). So you want to be able to show that you don't fall that neatly into a stereotype - you don't need to focus only on extracurriculars, but if you talk about work, it should be in a way that is engaging, with your own personality and spin to it.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Re: Essays for an Accountant   [#permalink] 10 Oct 2010, 07:50