Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:58 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
My recommenders shared copies of their letters with me before submitting them asking for my approval.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
My recommenders FYI'd me on the recos after submission.

Cheers. L.i
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 593 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Same with me.

I got a copy of the letters and also got some changes incorporated(some examples they had overlooked).
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
I didn't write them, but I gave HEAVILY annotated notes/topics. No worries.

Still I didnt see the finished product AS THE ADCOM sees it, so you're always curious...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
i haven't read Montauk's book (maybe i should have because i feel like im gonna get dinged across the board), but i wonder when he says that one in ten recommenders sabotages your application, does this mean they are doing it knowingly? maybe the recommender has good intentions, and writes something they think portrays you okay, but in reality makes you look bad in the eyes of adcoms.
For example, a lot of schools ask the recommender to comment on some of your weaknesses. what if the recommender writes something and spins it well for you, but it happens to be a weakness that adcoms do not want. or what if the recommender writes such a glowing over the top recommendation, that it almost looks fake and makes the adcom suspicious - thus "sabotaging" your application?

regardless. when i asked people to write recs for me, i gave a rough draft and an outline with which to work with. one of them editted it, showed it to me, then submitted it.
i'm unsure what the other recommender did, but i have a sneaking suspicision he used it... unfortunately, i think he simply used the bare first draft instead of editting it a bit with his own flare as i had hoped he would. the reason i think this is because he submitted the recommendations about an hour after i emailed it to him, all schools within a few minutes of each other.
if in fact i get dinged across the board, i will definately be sure to specify that it is only a very rough draft if i ask him again next year (or just write a much better draft).
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I have no clue what my recommenders wrote about me. I was hoping that they would let me have a peek but that didn't happen. I am glad that things worked out and thanked them profusely for their time and effort.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Well in Montauk's book he says that about one in ten sabotage either with an outright "Don't admit this person," type warning, or with faint praise like, "Well they manage to show up on time once in a while, and they seem to be really good at the internet so I would consider that their main strength."

So if one in ten recommendations does this, then like I was saying, that means one in five (assuming most people need two recommenders) people are being sabotaged. It's awesome that a lot of you have recommenders who showed you what they wrote, so I guess that means that for those who don't know what their recommenders wrote, the odds of being sabotaged are probably even slightly higher than 20% ??

I'm not really this paranoid, I'm sure Montauk could be wrong, or maybe his definition of "sabotage" is a little more benign than what I take it to mean.

I gave a pretty solid rough draft to both my recommenders and I assume they tweaked it a bit, but as gogetter said, you're still always going to be curious.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
johnnyx9 wrote:
Well in Montauk's book he says that about one in ten sabotage either with an outright "Don't admit this person," type warning, or with faint praise like, "Well they manage to show up on time once in a while, and they seem to be really good at the internet so I would consider that their main strength."

So if one in ten recommendations does this, then like I was saying, that means one in five (assuming most people need two recommenders) people are being sabotaged. It's awesome that a lot of you have recommenders who showed you what they wrote, so I guess that means that for those who don't know what their recommenders wrote, the odds of being sabotaged are probably even slightly higher than 20% ??

I'm not really this paranoid, I'm sure Montauk could be wrong, or maybe his definition of "sabotage" is a little more benign than what I take it to mean.

I gave a pretty solid rough draft to both my recommenders and I assume they tweaked it a bit, but as gogetter said, you're still always going to be curious.

Well, you can really improve your odds by making the right judgment about a) your recommenders and b) how well regarded you are in general. I believe quite a few people have this coming to them, because frankly there are many people who apply to b-school who are not well-liked by co-workers and who don't do good work.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
For the most part I agree with you Dukes, a person should show good judgement in picking recommenders.

But at the same time I think it is possible that you ask someone who you think likes you, and maybe they do like you, but maybe when all of a sudden their perception of you as a subordinate changes because you're basically asking, "Hi, been fun working with you, but I aspire for much greater things than you have ever done, so please write a letter about how great I am so I can go to a school you would never dream of getting into. Oh and by the way, you can consider this my nine month's notice of resignation."

Again, I'm not really this paranoid, but sometimes you think you know someone and then you find out they harbor jealous thoughts, or maybe they are irritated that they've been asked to write a glowing letter about someone who is basically quitting on them.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
johnnyx9 wrote:

I think his definition of sabotage is not writing a bad rec per se - though that would certainly qualify - I think he means that sabotage is occasionally unintentional. People write lukewarm non-specific recs that says things like "John is quite capable as an analyst. He consistenly completes work on time as assigned. He is always willing to help more and asks for more work. The quality of his work is also very strong." rather than saying "John is an exceptional individual who proactively identifies needs early, develops innovative and well thought out strategic solutions on his own and completes tasks with a caliber and efficiency I've rarely encountered in my twenty years of professional experience."

It's the difference between "good" and "exceptional" between "strong" and "oustanding" between "valuable" and "unique".
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 251 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
johnnyx9 wrote:
For the most part I agree with you Dukes, a person should show good judgement in picking recommenders.

But at the same time I think it is possible that you ask someone who you think likes you, and maybe they do like you, but maybe when all of a sudden their perception of you as a subordinate changes because you're basically asking, "Hi, been fun working with you, but I aspire for much greater things than you have ever done, so please write a letter about how great I am so I can go to a school you would never dream of getting into. Oh and by the way, you can consider this my nine month's notice of resignation."

Again, I'm not really this paranoid, but sometimes you think you know someone and then you find out they harbor jealous thoughts, or maybe they are irritated that they've been asked to write a glowing letter about someone who is basically quitting on them.

That's why I refused me to ask my CEO to do me a letter ;)... I share the same view as u here :). I simply cannot trust.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Rhyme, you're probably right, the "sabotage" probably is not always intentional.

Something I wondered as I crafted my "rough drafts" is if a glowing recommendation comes across as uncredible. For instance saying that someone is "one of the finest workers I have encountered in my twenty years of work experience..." or something like that might be true, but most likely wouldn't people who truly deserve such praise already be successful and not in need of an MBA?

Ad-coms know that a lot of people write their own recommendations or at least collaborate with recommenders, wouldn't that sort of be a tip-off when the letter is so over-the-top? If I was reading recommendations I would kind of gauge the sincerity or authenticity of a rec by giving it a reasonability test. Hm, this kid is a senior analyst, he's 27, hasn't managed anyone yet or doesn anything particularly exceptional with his career, but still the recommender is saying he is this amazing walk-on-water type employee. And in the check-boxes they checked off "Superior" for every single category.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think that is a pretty novel idea. but it doesn't really improve your chances. If your recommender absolutely refuses to show you the letter before sending it... I would be worried if I chose the right person.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
johnnyx9 wrote:
And in the check-boxes they checked off "Superior" for every single category.

I am very curious how Adcoms use those checkboxes?! If you have a great letter, but the boxes aren't all 'Superior' do they discount it? Which one counts for more etc...

That is the one area I didin't 'coach' at all on, but if its important maybe I should have!
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'm guessing the checkboxes are more a way of checking for red flags, like if interpersonal skills are poor when everything else is strong.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Here is what the worst thing can be....

Your recommender shows you one thing and then actually posts another different recommendation. It happened to me. Long story but I think it pretty much was the reason I have managed to get 3 straight dings up to now and looking at 3 more to come.

What goes around comes around so I'm waiting for the 360 reviews so that I can destroy the managers performance rating.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Zagros wrote:
Here is what the worst thing can be....

Your recommender shows you one thing and then actually posts another different recommendation. It happened to me.

Ouch.

Why would you even know, let alone ask for rec, a person of that type of character (besides the obvious answer)?
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2