Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 17:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

ETS is badly run in China

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 01 Feb 2007
Posts: 467
Location: Silicon Valley via Russia, China, Canada and Wharton/Lauder
Schools: Wharton/Lauder (Mandarin Chinese)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
ETS is badly run in China [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2007, 03:51
I have to take TOEFL, and I have been trying to register for the test in China for FIVE months now -- no seats until January next year. Aghhh...

While I am lucky because I am going to Toronto soon, ETS is clearly a great obstacle for lots of MBA candidates from the PRC. For most people here, it is impossible to leave the country to take the test. Even Hong Kong is out of reach. And it is now fully booked until the end of December.

ETS does not keep up with the demand in a market where growth is only restrained by their capacity!

I think they should hire an MBA to sort it all out.
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 09 Jan 2007
Posts: 1045
Location: New York, NY
Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2010
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: ETS is badly run in China [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2007, 05:40
xerox wrote:
I have to take TOEFL, and I have been trying to register for the test in China for FIVE months now -- no seats until January next year. Aghhh...

While I am lucky because I am going to Toronto soon, ETS is clearly a great obstacle for lots of MBA candidates from the PRC. For most people here, it is impossible to leave the country to take the test. Even Hong Kong is out of reach. And it is now fully booked until the end of December.

ETS does not keep up with the demand in a market where growth is only restrained by their capacity!

I think they should hire an MBA to sort it all out.


This is not a exclusivity of China. In South America this also happens. I live in Portugal and had to fly to London to take the test as I could not find seats in Lisbon...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 01 Feb 2007
Posts: 467
Location: Silicon Valley via Russia, China, Canada and Wharton/Lauder
Schools: Wharton/Lauder (Mandarin Chinese)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2007, 09:32
I think universtities, and b-schools in particular, should put pressure on ETS. Alternatively, applicants should petition schools to diversify the list of accepted examinations.

There is IELTS, BULATS, TOEIC, MELAB... the list is long, but for some reason everyone is locked on TOEFL and ETS. :roll:

Time to act, people! Ask schools to amend the admissions criteria. Send them emails, mention it to school reps, call, fax, send postal pigeons.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 09 Jan 2007
Posts: 707
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2007, 10:05
xerox wrote:
I think universtities, and b-schools in particular, should put pressure on ETS. Alternatively, applicants should petition schools to diversify the list of accepted examinations.

There is IELTS, BULATS, TOEIC, MELAB... the list is long, but for some reason everyone is locked on TOEFL and ETS. :roll:

Time to act, people! Ask schools to amend the admissions criteria. Send them emails, mention it to school reps, call, fax, send postal pigeons.


That would defeat the purpose of standardized tests. That is, if they allowed 10 different tests.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 01 Feb 2007
Posts: 467
Location: Silicon Valley via Russia, China, Canada and Wharton/Lauder
Schools: Wharton/Lauder (Mandarin Chinese)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2007, 10:09
gmatclb wrote:
That would defeat the purpose of standardized tests. That is, if they allowed 10 different tests.


all of them being standardized, makes no big difference
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 10 Apr 2007
Posts: 4320
Location: Back in Chicago, IL
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 691 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2007, 10:15
Some schools allow the GRE but thats because its cheaper to take. I dont think it will ever move beyond the GMAT or GRE. They want one test to compare everyone with, not a dozen. Even if they are standardized tests they wont be equal. Plus the GMAT is so important with rankings no school will want to decrease their pool to choose from.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 09 Jan 2007
Posts: 707
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2007, 10:26
xerox wrote:
gmatclb wrote:
That would defeat the purpose of standardized tests. That is, if they allowed 10 different tests.


all of them being standardized, makes no big difference



Unless the last 10 potential students all took different tests.

97 percentile on LSAT is VERY different from 97 percentile on GMAT.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 31 Jul 2006
Posts: 2308
Schools: Darden
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 421 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2007, 11:06
gmatclb wrote:
xerox wrote:
gmatclb wrote:
That would defeat the purpose of standardized tests. That is, if they allowed 10 different tests.


all of them being standardized, makes no big difference



Unless the last 10 potential students all took different tests.

97 percentile on LSAT is VERY different from 97 percentile on GMAT.


I agree. The pool of applicants taking each test is vastly different, so a test is "standardized" only for the pool taking a particular test. There's no reason to believe that there is much standardization across multiple tests because the pool of people taking the things is so different.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 04 Aug 2005
Posts: 202
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2007, 12:57
I'm just curious - the only ESL-type tests I've ever heard of are the TOEFL and ETS (which I guess backs up xerox's claim that those are the two everyone focuses on). What are all the other ones used for?
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 18 Sep 2006
Posts: 963
Location: Chicago, IL
Schools: Chicago Booth 2010
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2007, 13:02
ishcabibble wrote:
I'm just curious - the only ESL-type tests I've ever heard of are the TOEFL and ETS (which I guess backs up xerox's claim that those are the two everyone focuses on). What are all the other ones used for?

ETS administers the TOEFL, it isnt a test in itself
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 04 Aug 2005
Posts: 202
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2007, 13:04
Oops, I knew that! Sorry, it's been a long week already, folks.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 01 Feb 2007
Posts: 467
Location: Silicon Valley via Russia, China, Canada and Wharton/Lauder
Schools: Wharton/Lauder (Mandarin Chinese)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2007, 20:49
ETS is not IELTS (which is what you obviously confused ETS with). The former is an organization and the latter is a test administered by Cambridge Assesment, formerly UCLES.

What I meant in my previous post was that there are other English tests and other organizations that administer them. Why give preference to the very inefficient Educational Testing Service (ETS)?

Well, IELTS is a great test -- much better than TOEFL, but I cannot take it anymore because I am an IELTS examiner. However, schools cannot accept my examiner status as proof of my language proficiency! :shock:

I had to get a Band 9 in all four skills (Academic Module) in order to qualify to become an examiner in the first place, but schools do not want to be flexible in my case.
  [#permalink] 05 Oct 2007, 20:49
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic Badly need a good advice srirammullu 1 25 Apr 2013, 01:02
1 BADLY NEED SOME ADVICE!!! dexter700 9 22 Nov 2011, 15:34
I need Advice Badly!! jonathandet 3 05 May 2010, 17:32
advice needed badly jonathandet 1 13 Nov 2009, 00:33
Help needed badly vignesh53 3 08 May 2008, 23:38
Display posts from previous: Sort by

ETS is badly run in China

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.