Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 11:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

ETS Paper Tests(Where can I find)? LSAT CR - useful???

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
ETS Paper Tests(Where can I find)? LSAT CR - useful??? [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2009, 04:02
Hi,

I am planning to retake GMAT.......I need to improve my verbal but maintain my quant. I have exhausted almost all resources (Manhattan SC, Powerscroe bible etc etc). The only resources that I havent touhced are these two. Please suggest if they are truly invaluable and if thats the best use of time -

1) LSAT Critical Reasoning
2) OLD ETS based paper tests (Also please tell me where can Ifind these ETS based paper tests???)
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 53

Kudos [?]: 366 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: ETS Paper Tests(Where can I find)? LSAT CR - useful??? [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2009, 05:33
sdrandom1 wrote:
Hi,

I am planning to retake GMAT.......I need to improve my verbal but maintain my quant. I have exhausted almost all resources (Manhattan SC, Powerscroe bible etc etc). The only resources that I havent touhced are these two. Please suggest if they are truly invaluable and if thats the best use of time -

1) LSAT Critical Reasoning
2) OLD ETS based paper tests (Also please tell me where can Ifind these ETS based paper tests???)

Some people have found great value in the LSAT books. That being said, the difficulty of the LSAT problems are well above the difficulty of the GMAT problems. I would not tell you to avoid the LSAT materials, but realize if you're having trouble with CR questions from the OG verbal and the Verbal review book, this might be above what you're looking for.

The old ETS paper tests are not worth more than Powerprep, GMATPrep and the OG books. The ETS questions are retired questions, and the questions from the above three sources are also retired questions.

It would appear to me that you have an approach issue with some of these problems. Would you be a little more specific on where you're having trouble? Maybe then we can provide more guidance.

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: ETS Paper Tests(Where can I find)? LSAT CR - useful??? [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2009, 08:38
hi mohater,

to be honest I scored a 700 on real GMAT last saturday....I am not satisfied with my performance...I got (Q49,V36). My verbal has never been that bad on GMAT PREP tests....so may be it was bad day or may be not...whatever I need to improve my verbal performance and keep the quant the same...i am planning to retake GMAT in a month. So I am looking towards sources that help me improve my verbal score...

I have exhauted all sources (Manhattan SC, Powerscore CR bible, OG11/12...). I don't want to do 1000 SC/CR since they dont have explanations and it is not a good way to utilize my 4 weeks...

Please let me know what I can do...I am stuck
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 53

Kudos [?]: 366 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: ETS Paper Tests(Where can I find)? LSAT CR - useful??? [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2009, 09:48
There's nothing really to tell you.

There not guarantee that ETS papers will have the full explanations and not just the answers.

You also seem to be studying the entire verbal section, which assumes you're doing equally bad across all verbal sections (something I find hard to believe). Simply doing problems is not a sure way to improve a score. If you have an approach issue, doing problems will not help you improve your score.

A 700 score is fine. If you're a viable candidate to your top choice schools, the 700 is enough.

If you read the admit/ding thread, you'll see plenty of 750+ score people with lots of rejections from tier one schools. The GMAT is one of many pieces that contribute to your application.

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2136

Kudos [?]: 7314 [0], given: 3618

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: ETS Paper Tests(Where can I find)? LSAT CR - useful??? [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2009, 09:53
Expert's post
sdrandom - you know my opinion already :)

If you want retired ETS tests, they are here: http://www.mba.com/mba/store/ProductInfo?SKU=1103260X

However, they are usually on the easier side. Here is a detailed description of what they contain: gmat-paper-test-84064.html

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Re: ETS Paper Tests(Where can I find)? LSAT CR - useful???   [#permalink] 12 Oct 2009, 09:53