Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 14:14 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management
Schools:St. Gallen '09
 Q47  V40
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Re: Europe MBA Discussion [#permalink]
bsd_lover wrote:
Hi trader1,

How do you rate INSEAD for trading/finance based on your research ?

the careers report (https://www.insead.edu/mba/careers/docs/ ... report.pdf) indicates that they're putting 30% of their class into finance / i-banking. now, it's hard to say which percentage of this population actually goes into sales & trading. other schools like NYU Stern, Columbia, and probably some of the other top US schools give exact percentages going into sales & trading. all the research i have done in regards to european b-schools has shown me that LBS and INSEAD are the top 2 b-schools for finance and i-bank recruiting, in that order. however, by virtue of class size, INSEAD is putting more numbers into the sector.

ultimately, what i have found is that the school is only one half the key to landing the job you want. it definitely helps to get into a top 10 school. from there though, it's pretty much on you to convince the firms why they should take you, especially when you don't have any financial work experience (like me). however, i trade for a living now, so i think that might count for something when it comes time to future interviews. but my style of trading is nothing like what goes on with S&T at an i-bank. personally, i think i'd rather do sales if i end up in an i-bank. but, of course, working on the trading floor with all the action!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q47  V40
Send PM
i forgot to mention.

if you want to increase your chances of working in s&t for an i-bank, then you should apply for the january intake. with this option, you get 2 months during the summer to do an internship.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Thanks..

That will be my option in case I dont get anywhere this year :( - a definite possibility ...
trader1 wrote:
i forgot to mention.

if you want to increase your chances of working in s&t for an i-bank, then you should apply for the january intake. with this option, you get 2 months during the summer to do an internship.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [0]
Send PM
I know someone who was at IMD in Lausanne. They offer an excellent 10-month programme and attract the best Swiss recruiters including consulting firms. Everyone of the class had a job offer by the end of the programme. In my opinion the best school beside LBS and INSEAD, but hard to get in.

Why has nobody considered IMD so far?

cheers
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q47  V40
Send PM
catgmat wrote:

Why has nobody considered IMD so far?

cheers

i considered it, but found it to be too focused on industry. not my thing. the students are bit older for my level and are much more accomplished.

basically, lack of fit sums it up.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
I visited IMD and got the same impression. The program is extremely intense. When I met with a student he told me that he regretted his decision for the first six months because he was putting in 18-20 hour days and at times went without sleep for 36 hours.

Besides that scaring me, the marketing lady told me that I would be on the young side of the class. Plus, you have to go to Lausanne to interview. Significant costs if you get rejected.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 298 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:Oxford'10
 Q49  V37
Send PM
Guys,

one year MBAs (or any MBAs) are no cake walk. We are all doing this to get ahead in the rat race,...so we have to run harder and faster.

I often walk past the SBS Oxford business school to catach a train around 8pm on fridays. These guys aren't at the pub, they are in there studying, (i can see them through the glass windows) head down...looking intense...but hey...we all want to join them,,don't we?

don't let marketing people put you off. Of course it will be tough, but it will be worth it!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
I wonder if have 2-3 years of work experience and 1 year as GM at my own company... can i do an EMBA program?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
you wonder quite alot...
You are posting the same question in different threads. Try opening a new topic. Chances are you will get better and more accurate info.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Hi,
Can anyone speak to HEC Paris experience. College experience, recruitment etc.

I have not quite figured out their 16 month program and whether it is sufficient for a career switcher

Thanks,
Todo
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 234 [0]
Schools:St Gallen, Cambridge, HEC Montreal
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Hello,

Does anyobody know any European programme with January intake, except HEC and INSEAD?

I heard IE, but cannot find that info on their site.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q48  V39
Send PM
lumone wrote:
Hello,

Does anyobody know any European programme with January intake, except HEC and INSEAD?

I found the info on their website: it's actually an April intake. ESADE also have that for the 12 month programme.

For me it will probably be INSEAD as a first choice, plus one of these as a back-up: HEC, IE and/or ESADE.

I thought about LBS, but it would cost a lot more than any of the other European MBAs.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hello Lumone,
IMD Lausanne starts in January as well!

cheers

lumone wrote:
lumone wrote:
Hello,

I found the info on their website: it's actually an April intake. ESADE also have that for the 12 month programme.

For me it will probably be INSEAD as a first choice, plus one of these as a back-up: HEC, IE and/or ESADE.

I thought about LBS, but it would cost a lot more than any of the other European MBAs.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q48  V39
Send PM
After months weighting the pros and cons, I have finally decided what I want to do and where I will apply.

First, my profile:

29 yrs old - French
4 yr business program in the Netherlands (taught in English) – Not the best, but not the crappiest college
6 years WE (3 jobs) in finance/administration/accounting - 3 years in Germany - 3 in Ireland - Entire WE in the technology sector
Native French - Fluent English and German - average Dutch
Gmat 710 (Q48 - V39) - may retake in september
Area of interest: IM - I will take CFA level 1 in June 09

I originally considered applying to top US MBAs. But I have changed my mind. At my age I don't feel like doing a 2 year program, especially on another continent. I would like to stay in Europe after the MBA. IM recruitment is more local than IB/MC reruitment.

So, 1 year MBAs in Europe and I will apply to
Insead, Oxford, Cambridge, St Gallen
Insead: In my opinion the best non-US programme and rivals with M7 bschools.
Oxbridge : excellent brand, near from London to network in IM
St Gallen : excellent brand in German speaking countries

What about LBS, IMD, Esade, RSM, HEC, etc.. ?
Fit issues. Too long, too expensive (LBS), too industry oriented (IMD), too country specific, etc..I will consider them if dinged by all four above.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q47  V40
Send PM
lumone wrote:
After months weighting the pros and cons, I have finally decided what I want to do and where I will apply.

First, my profile:

29 yrs old - French
4 yr business program in the Netherlands (taught in English) – Not the best, but not the crappiest college
6 years WE (3 jobs) in finance/administration/accounting - 3 years in Germany - 3 in Ireland - Entire WE in the technology sector
Native French - Fluent English and German - average Dutch
Gmat 710 (Q48 - V39) - may retake in september
Area of interest: IM - I will take CFA level 1 in June 09

I originally considered applying to top US MBAs. But I have changed my mind. At my age I don't feel like doing a 2 year program, especially on another continent. I would like to stay in Europe after the MBA. IM recruitment is more local than IB/MC reruitment.

So, 1 year MBAs in Europe and I will apply to
Insead, Oxford, Cambridge, St Gallen
Insead: In my opinion the best non-US programme and rivals with M7 bschools.
Oxbridge : excellent brand, near from London to network in IM
St Gallen : excellent brand in German speaking countries

What about LBS, IMD, Esade, RSM, HEC, etc.. ?
Fit issues. Too long, too expensive (LBS), too industry oriented (IMD), too country specific, etc..I will consider them if dinged by all four above.

It looks like you have a good plan. The research phase definitely takes some time, but it's very important. Also, if you haven't visited the schools yet or sat in on classes, then I would recommend that. You want to get a feel for not only the learning environment, but also the living environment. I visited Oxford, Cambridge and LBS last year and while I liked the learning environments, I just didn't care for the living environments.

Although I didn't visit INSEAD, I knew that their global brand is very powerful and planned to apply there. Instead, I was accepted to St. Gallen before submitting INSEAD's application and just decided not to bother with it anymore. I want to work in Switzerland post-MBA and use my German language skills, so it makes sense to attend HSG. Although, with an INSEAD MBA, not only Switzerland would be feasible, but practically anywhere in the world. Part of my decision not to pursue INSEAD further really boiled down to whether or not I wanted to learn French and live in France vs. already knowing German and living in the Swiss Alps. I like to snowboard :) Another personal circumstance was St. Gallen's proximity to home. Unfortunately, my family won't be able to join me while I study; so, I want to be close to them as possible, but at a good program nevertheless.

I will be starting my MBA St. Gallen in just over a week, so if you have any questions about the program, I can answer them as the year goes on.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Thanks for the feedback.

I visited HEC and Insead last year. I might visit Oxbridge in October. R1 for Oxford is in late October so I may have time to visit before the deadline. Cambridge R1 deadline is before that, but it does not matter as I will apply there in R2.

Visiting St Gallen: definitly would take a campus interview if invited, but I don't think I'll visit before that. R1 deadline is in December, so I can focus on the other applications. I'll probably contact you in November. Let me know about your experience at St Gallen. I'd love to hear more about it from a student. :)

What I don't like about HEC: the MBA is not as well rated as the standard HEC programme. However, I may apply there as a back up and take advantage of the exchange programme (which takes place at the final term of the MBA) with LBS: avoid LBS tuition fee (HEC is much cheaper) , but benefit from the career service/location to find employment once there. Living 4 month in London wouldn't hurt my wallet that much.

Other possible back-ups: Trinity and Smurfit in Dublin. They are not as well ranked (gmat averages at +- 630 don't help), but I wouldn't mind staying in Ireland and there are probably good opportunities in Dublin for IM.

Thanks again

Lumone
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi Lumone,

Good to see that you did your homework regarding B-school application. Your choice of schools is excellent, but maybe you should also consider other arguments:

HSG St. Gallen is a very famous school in Europe comparable to LSE, BUT its MBA programme is not very well-known outside of Switzerland. Even in Switzerland, IMD is much more respected by recruiters than other European MBA programmes.

Oxbridge is excellent and a true rival to LBS, although I think that both schools benefit from their old school tradition. In my opinion LBS is still the best school for finance and MC in Europe. Although LBS is very expensive, you have the chance to earn an impressive compensation during internships and business projects.

INSEAD is also an excellent school, but quite short with 10 months (so is IMD BTW). Therefore I did not apply to INSEAD. However, I would still prefer LBS to INSEAD, but this is only a personal preference.

For backup I would also consider Cranfield and Imperial College, if you want to work in UK or IESE / ESADE, if you don't mind being in Spain.

HEC is also excellent. Regarding HEC's exchange, there is unfortunately only a limited number of seats for LBS exchangers, sogetting into LBS will be quite competitive. On the other hand you can also apply for dual degree with LSE or NYU Stern, but this programme lasts nearly 21 months.

Good luck for your applications!

Cheers,

lumone wrote:
Thanks for the feedback.

I visited HEC and Insead last year. I might visit Oxbridge in October. R1 for Oxford is in late October so I may have time to visit before the deadline. Cambridge R1 deadline is before that, but it does not matter as I will apply there in R2.

Visiting St Gallen: definitly would take a campus interview if invited, but I don't think I'll visit before that. R1 deadline is in December, so I can focus on the other applications. I'll probably contact you in November. Let me know about your experience at St Gallen. I'd love to hear more about it from a student. :)

What I don't like about HEC: the MBA is not as well rated as the standard HEC programme. However, I may apply there as a back up and take advantage of the exchange programme (which takes place at the final term of the MBA) with LBS: avoid LBS tuition fee (HEC is much cheaper) , but benefit from the career service/location to find employment once there. Living 4 month in London wouldn't hurt my wallet that much.

Other possible back-ups: Trinity and Smurfit in Dublin. They are not as well ranked (gmat averages at +- 630 don't help), but I wouldn't mind staying in Ireland and there are probably good opportunities in Dublin for IM.

Thanks again

Lumone
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5