Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 07:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Europe MBA Discussion

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 25 Nov 2006
Posts: 337
Schools: St Gallen, Cambridge, HEC Montreal
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Europe MBA Discussion [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2008, 04:47
catgmat,
Thanks for the reply.

IMD vs St Gallen
I agree that IMD is top tier in Europe (with LBS and Insead), but it is very industry oriented. Something like 75% of the class go to industry and 10-15% to finance. Whereas St Gallen has an outstanding reputation for finance in German speaking countries. I want to work in IM.
Also, IMD starts in January, so January 2010 the soonest. I'd rather start earlier.

LBS
Probably the best European programme for finance, but even with projects and internship, it will cost me a lot more. Still need to think about it though.

Insead
I'm in love with it.

IE/Esade
Very Spain oriented, and there wouldn't probably be as many IM opportunities as with St Gallen, Insead and Oxbridge. On top of that, I don't talk Spanish with not much spare time to learnd : I am busy with applications and and will be with the CFA.

HEC with LBS exchange
Went to an info session last year. I asked how competitive this particular exchange was. Adcom's answer: 4 sits for 10 applicants. Exchange takes place at the end of the programme and applications based on your input during the 1 year. If I start from day 1 with the right attitude for being considered, it should be okay.

Cranfield/Imperial/Warwick
If not the best in the UK (LBS and Oxbridge), I'd rather stay in Ireland (Trinity/Smurfit)
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 Mar 2007
Posts: 329
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Europe MBA Discussion [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2008, 04:50
Hi Lumone,


Firstly, I am confident that you will make it into INSEAD or Oxbridge, since you not only have an amazing profile, but also international WE. However, St. Gallen should be on the bottom of your application list. Regarding IMD vs St. Gallen I would still prefer IMD, because it is a well established programme in Switzerland, but waiting for IMD January 2010 is understandable not ideal.

I personally am a big fan of LBS, but unfortunately got dinged by LBS after being waitlisted. I will start at HEC this September and will try to get into LBS exchange. Please contact me, if you need any information about HEC application or exchange with LBS.

All the best for your applications!

Cheers,
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 25 Nov 2006
Posts: 337
Schools: St Gallen, Cambridge, HEC Montreal
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Europe MBA Discussion [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2008, 07:37
catgmat wrote:
Hi Lumone,


Firstly, I am confident that you will make it into INSEAD or Oxbridge, since you not only have an amazing profile, but also international WE. However, St. Gallen should be on the bottom of your application list. Regarding IMD vs St. Gallen I would still prefer IMD, because it is a well established programme in Switzerland, but waiting for IMD January 2010 is understandable not ideal.

I personally am a big fan of LBS, but unfortunately got dinged by LBS after being waitlisted. I will start at HEC this September and will try to get into LBS exchange. Please contact me, if you need any information about HEC application or exchange with LBS.

All the best for your applications!

Cheers,



Thanks for the compliment.
I know I have lots of international exposure, but except that I'm an average gut, really.

Question on the HEC/LBS exchange: Do HEC students in LBS have access to the full services of LBS' career office?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 Mar 2007
Posts: 329
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Europe MBA Discussion [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2008, 11:36
Hi Lumone,

From what I have heard here, you will have access to LBS' career office.
But keep in mind that there are only a few seats for a couple of motivated applicants available.

Cheers,


lumone wrote:


Thanks for the compliment.
I know I have lots of international exposure, but except that I'm an average gut, really.

Question on the HEC/LBS exchange: Do HEC students in LBS have access to the full services of LBS' career office?
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 13 Jun 2004
Posts: 1128
Location: London, UK
Schools: Tuck'08
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Europe MBA Discussion [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2008, 00:12
Yes, usually all schools work like that. If you do an exchange during your MBA program you will have full access to jobs and alumni network from the schools where you did an exchange program. However be also realistic :
1) usually people can see if you were on exchange or a full student (depending on the detail level registered online for each school)

2)more importantly when you interview on campus in a school where you are on exchange you extremely few chances to be taken because :
a) a lot of interviews are done by school alumni who have seats for their new classmates :)
b) usually the company chose that school because of the reputation/difficulty/historic relations therefore it will be difficult to be considered as a viable candidate if you are not from the school but just on exchange

_________________

Antoine

Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth
Tuck Alumni, Class of 2008

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Apr 2008
Posts: 497
Schools: Kellogg, MIT, Michigan, Berkeley, Marshall, Mellon
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Europe MBA Discussion [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2008, 13:44
Hi mates,

I'd like to add my point of view regarding spanish business schools. But first, let me a couple of lines with my profile: I'm Spanish, Engineer (5-year degree) and 4 years of WE. I hope my point of view can help someone.

As it's told here, in Spain there are 3 top BS: IE, IESE and ESADE. Althoug I'm applying to some US schools, IE and ESADE are my plan B...

However, IESE is not my favourite one at all... why? well, as it is said at IESE's website, this business school was founded by Jose Maria Escriba de Balaguer, who was also the founder of the opus dei movement (http://www.iese.edu/aplicaciones/News/v ... =1&lang=es)... a religious movement. Mates, this is not my business...

Regarding IE and ESADE, well, it's difficult to say which one is better. If I had to choose, I'd choose IE because many friends of mine have done its MBA (although another friend did the ESADE's MBA) and they are very happy, specially because the jobs they get after the MBA...

So, I think IE and ESADE are very good business schools.

Feel free to PM me for further information

Cheers

_________________

mates, please visit my profile and leave comments
johnlewis1980-s-profile-feedback-is-more-than-welcome-80538.html

I'm not linked to GMAT questions anymore, so, if you need something, please PM me

I'm already focused on my application package :)

My experience in my second attempt
http://gmatclub.com/forum/p544312#p544312
My experience in my third attempt
630-q-47-v-28-engineer-non-native-speaker-my-experience-78215.html#p588275

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Jul 2008
Posts: 290
Schools: INSEAD Dec'10
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Europe MBA Discussion [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2009, 11:15
JohnLewis1980 wrote:
However, IESE is not my favourite one at all... why? well, as it is said at IESE's website, this business school was founded by Jose Maria Escriba de Balaguer, who was also the founder of the opus dei movement (http://www.iese.edu/aplicaciones/News/v ... =1&lang=es)... a religious movement. Mates, this is not my business...


Cool. So I am not the only one who think a school founded by religious types is creepy.

I have met an admissions guy from IE at an MBA fair and the school looks good. I might as well include it my plan B, too. The only concern is that they want almost the same tuition fee amount as INSEAD. Come on.

_________________

http://applicant.wordpress.com/

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Apr 2008
Posts: 497
Schools: Kellogg, MIT, Michigan, Berkeley, Marshall, Mellon
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Europe MBA Discussion [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2009, 05:03
Yes, agree

however, here in Spain IE is the first option for a lot of people...

regading IESE, I'd never apply there, but I have to say that the chances post-MBA are amazing. THe reason is that the chances usually come from companies whose CEOs are close to that relogious movement...

Definitely, it's not my business...

Cheers

_________________

mates, please visit my profile and leave comments
johnlewis1980-s-profile-feedback-is-more-than-welcome-80538.html

I'm not linked to GMAT questions anymore, so, if you need something, please PM me

I'm already focused on my application package :)

My experience in my second attempt
http://gmatclub.com/forum/p544312#p544312
My experience in my third attempt
630-q-47-v-28-engineer-non-native-speaker-my-experience-78215.html#p588275

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 21 Nov 2008
Posts: 108
Location: Barcelona
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Europe MBA Discussion [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2009, 06:51
I am from Barcelona and I want to say that IESE is one step forward compared with IE and ESADE. I understand that people don't want to apply because of the religious background, but no one can deny that IESE places its MBA's in better jobs than the other two schools. Besides, I doubt that the teaching is influenced by Opus dei.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 26 Jan 2009
Posts: 141
Schools: Yale SOM 2011
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 7

Re: Europe MBA Discussion [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2009, 08:49
I just returned from a campus visit and an IESE interview. I spoke to many students about the opus relationship. Thier feedback was that it is in the founding of the school and is not pushed on students (catholisim). I did notice a cross in the back of the classrooms. The school does stress ethics (which I don't think is a bad thing). Over all I was very impressed with the students and professors. I don't think the religious aspect should deter people from applying to IESE (btw Notre dame and others are founded by religious organizations). Let me know if you ave any questions
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 20 Oct 2007
Posts: 138
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 4

Re: Europe MBA Discussion [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2009, 02:58
Would agree with previous posts, IESE is definitely the #1 program in Spain. Many of the same big recruiters who go to IESE also recruit at LBS and INSEAD - not because of any opus dei connections.

I checked out IESE's campus and spoke to many current students. They were all about having fun and working hard and couldn't care less about opus dei.

I'd def. also choose IESE over IE at the moment because of the economy. IESE will keep you guarded in school for the next 2 years, IE is only a 1 yr program. The same would go for most 2 yr programs vs. their 1 yr counterparts (LBS vs. INSEAD & IMD; IESE & ESADE vs. IE).

_________________

MBAvolunteers - Application feedback & interview preps in exchange for a donation to a non-profit

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Apr 2008
Posts: 497
Schools: Kellogg, MIT, Michigan, Berkeley, Marshall, Mellon
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Europe MBA Discussion [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2009, 10:38
Hi guys,

A couple of things:

I've heard that IESE is opening a new business school in NYC (Manhattan)

Regarding the companies that recruit at IESE, well, it's true that they are big companies, but it's also true that they are managed by people who belong to that religious movement and that are MBA by IESE.

However, I have to say that it's very common that CEOs recreuit in their own business school.

Probably, during the course there are no evidences of relogious aspects, but there is no doubt that you are financing a relogious movement. Although you don't follow the religious rules or you don't believe in anything, you are giving your support to people who do and (which is worst) try to impose their beliefs to others.

Regards

_________________

mates, please visit my profile and leave comments
johnlewis1980-s-profile-feedback-is-more-than-welcome-80538.html

I'm not linked to GMAT questions anymore, so, if you need something, please PM me

I'm already focused on my application package :)

My experience in my second attempt
http://gmatclub.com/forum/p544312#p544312
My experience in my third attempt
630-q-47-v-28-engineer-non-native-speaker-my-experience-78215.html#p588275

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 26 Jan 2009
Posts: 141
Schools: Yale SOM 2011
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 7

Re: Europe MBA Discussion [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2009, 10:56
You do realize that many US universities were founded by the Jesuits (a Roman Catholic order ie Soldiers of Christ) and other religious orders. DO you feel that same way about all religous influenced/ founded schools? Below is a partial list of Universities with religious affiliations:

Boston College
Fordham University
Loyola
Georgetown
Notre Dame
among others


JohnLewis1980 wrote:
Hi guys,

A couple of things:

I've heard that IESE is opening a new business school in NYC (Manhattan)

Regarding the companies that recruit at IESE, well, it's true that they are big companies, but it's also true that they are managed by people who belong to that religious movement and that are MBA by IESE.

However, I have to say that it's very common that CEOs recreuit in their own business school.

Probably, during the course there are no evidences of relogious aspects, but there is no doubt that you are financing a relogious movement. Although you don't follow the religious rules or you don't believe in anything, you are giving your support to people who do and (which is worst) try to impose their beliefs to others.

Regards
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Apr 2008
Posts: 497
Schools: Kellogg, MIT, Michigan, Berkeley, Marshall, Mellon
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Europe MBA Discussion [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2009, 11:49
Yes and thanks god 2 things:

· No one is in my list (to be honest I really hope no one in my list is related with religious aspects: although I investigated them no oen knows...)

· We are in the XXI century, and all the developed countries (or at least almost all) are secular, which means it's not necessary that any church gives me an education :lol:

smokedpotatoes2 wrote:
You do realize that many US universities were founded by the Jesuits (a Roman Catholic order ie Soldiers of Christ) and other religious orders. DO you feel that same way about all religous influenced/ founded schools? Below is a partial list of Universities with religious affiliations:

Boston College
Fordham University
Loyola
Georgetown
Notre Dame
among others


JohnLewis1980 wrote:
Hi guys,

A couple of things:

I've heard that IESE is opening a new business school in NYC (Manhattan)

Regarding the companies that recruit at IESE, well, it's true that they are big companies, but it's also true that they are managed by people who belong to that religious movement and that are MBA by IESE.

However, I have to say that it's very common that CEOs recreuit in their own business school.

Probably, during the course there are no evidences of relogious aspects, but there is no doubt that you are financing a relogious movement. Although you don't follow the religious rules or you don't believe in anything, you are giving your support to people who do and (which is worst) try to impose their beliefs to others.

Regards

_________________

mates, please visit my profile and leave comments
johnlewis1980-s-profile-feedback-is-more-than-welcome-80538.html

I'm not linked to GMAT questions anymore, so, if you need something, please PM me

I'm already focused on my application package :)

My experience in my second attempt
http://gmatclub.com/forum/p544312#p544312
My experience in my third attempt
630-q-47-v-28-engineer-non-native-speaker-my-experience-78215.html#p588275

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 26 Jan 2009
Posts: 141
Schools: Yale SOM 2011
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 7

Re: Europe MBA Discussion [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2009, 12:30
Got my acceptance to IESE today! :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Apr 2008
Posts: 497
Schools: Kellogg, MIT, Michigan, Berkeley, Marshall, Mellon
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Europe MBA Discussion [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2009, 12:50
smokedpotatoes2 wrote:
Got my acceptance to IESE today! :)


I just can say: congratulations!! :good

I think you'll enjoy Barcelona

_________________

mates, please visit my profile and leave comments
johnlewis1980-s-profile-feedback-is-more-than-welcome-80538.html

I'm not linked to GMAT questions anymore, so, if you need something, please PM me

I'm already focused on my application package :)

My experience in my second attempt
http://gmatclub.com/forum/p544312#p544312
My experience in my third attempt
630-q-47-v-28-engineer-non-native-speaker-my-experience-78215.html#p588275

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 26 Jan 2009
Posts: 141
Schools: Yale SOM 2011
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 7

Re: Europe MBA Discussion [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2009, 12:57
JohnLewis1980 wrote:
smokedpotatoes2 wrote:
Got my acceptance to IESE today! :)


I just can say: congratulations!! :good

I think you'll enjoy Barcelona


John thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 25 Nov 2006
Posts: 337
Schools: St Gallen, Cambridge, HEC Montreal
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Europe MBA Discussion [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2009, 13:18
Congrats!!

You've done 7, possibly 8, applications in the same round?! :shock: :shock:
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 26 Jan 2009
Posts: 141
Schools: Yale SOM 2011
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 7

Re: Europe MBA Discussion [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2009, 13:38
lumone wrote:
Congrats!!

You've done 7, possibly 8, applications in the same round?! :shock: :shock:


Yeah, I damn near killed myself getting the apps done. Two schools were due Dec 8th (IESE, Haas), 4 due Jan 7th (Yale, Columbia, Darden, Duke) & 2 due 15th ish (NYU, Gtown). The spread made it a little more managable

To make thing easier I made a master "app" in MS-word with everything the schools asked for:
work info
gmat
gpa
extracurullar
address
etc.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 25 Nov 2006
Posts: 337
Schools: St Gallen, Cambridge, HEC Montreal
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Europe MBA Discussion [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2009, 01:34
smokedpotatoes2 wrote:
lumone wrote:
Congrats!!

You've done 7, possibly 8, applications in the same round?! :shock: :shock:


Yeah, I damn near killed myself getting the apps done. Two schools were due Dec 8th (IESE, Haas), 4 due Jan 7th (Yale, Columbia, Darden, Duke) & 2 due 15th ish (NYU, Gtown). The spread made it a little more managable

To make thing easier I made a master "app" in MS-word with everything the schools asked for:
work info
gmat
gpa
extracurullar
address
etc.


Your rock!
:pray
Re: Europe MBA Discussion   [#permalink] 14 Feb 2009, 01:34
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
MBA in Europe GVANR 0 10 Jul 2013, 20:42
MBA in Europe GVANR 3 10 Jul 2013, 05:48
MBA in Europe suresh4gmat 0 31 Mar 2013, 11:29
MBA in Europe ankurhbti 3 30 Dec 2010, 17:16
3 Experts publish their posts in the topic Europe MBA Discussion Hjort 93 23 Aug 2005, 22:05
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Europe MBA Discussion

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5    Next  [ 94 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.